• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 3-5 Winter Storm

Models are finally coming into agreement for a Winter Storm to impact parts of ND, SD & MN starting late sunday
and lasting through tuesday. Alot of areas could recieve 6-8" with parts of ND getting 12+.

North Dakota looks to be the jackpot for the start of the event...GFS & CMC at 12z Monday

edit: 0z euro has the northern half of ND in 0.50 - 0.75 qpf.

Normally I would call this a "classic" long lived frontogenesis events, supper clipper if you will, but this one is slightly unusual. The most unusual is the lack of a true polar front which most of these form on...usually in December-January. The second is the southern stream interaction which will act to form a lee low across the central plains...which will help reinforce the frontal zone as the parent waves arrives. This is going to be an impressive long lived event with the potential for widespread 8-12" snow amounts across a long swath from N Central ND into MN.

Normally I would call this a "classic" long lived frontogenesis events, supper clipper if you will, but this one is slightly unusual. The most unusual is the lack of a true polar front which most of these form on...usually in December-January. The second is the southern stream interaction which will act to form a lee low across the central plains...which will help reinforce the frontal zone as the parent waves arrives. This is going to be an impressive long lived event with the potential for widespread 8-12" snow amounts across a long swath from N Central ND into MN.

12z models still peg the n half of ND for the jackpot thumping...the inverted trough snows has shifted east for the e half of MN later on monday. My area gets the accumulated snows from the waa later tonight so i am hoping for a few inches from that.

:thumbsup:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TWIN CITIES/CHANHASSEN MN
1109 AM CST SUN MAR 3 2013

...SNOW SPREADING IN TONIGHT AND LASTING THROUGH TUESDAY...

.A WINTER STORM WILL IMPACT THE NORTHERN PLAINS AND UPPER MIDWEST
BEGINNING TONIGHT AND LASTING THROUGH TUESDAY. THIS SYSTEM WILL
BRING SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 6-10 INCHES TO MUCH OF CENTRAL
AND SOUTHERN MINNESOTA AND FAR WESTERN WISCONSIN. SOME STORM
TOTALS COULD APPROACH 12 INCHES DEPENDING ON WHERE PRIMARY SNOW
BANDS SET UP.

THIS SNOWFALL LOOKS TO BE SPLIT UP INTO TWO WAVES OF MODERATE TO
HEAVY SNOW. THE FIRST WILL COME TONIGHT THROUGH MONDAY
MORNING...WITH A SECOND ROUND EXPECTED MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH
TUESDAY MORNING. SNOWFALL RATES ARE EXPECTED TO DECREASE FOR A
PERIOD MONDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING BETWEEN THESE TWO WAVES.

MNZ041-042-047>049-055>058-065>067-075-083-092-040115-
/O.UPG.KMPX.WS.A.0005.130304T0000Z-130305T1200Z/
/O.NEW.KMPX.WS.W.0003.130304T0300Z-130305T1800Z/
DOUGLAS-TODD-STEVENS-POPE-STEARNS-SWIFT-CHIPPEWA-KANDIYOHI-MEEKER-
RENVILLE-MCLEOD-SIBLEY-NICOLLET-BLUE EARTH-FARIBAULT-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ALEXANDRIA...LONG PRAIRIE...MORRIS...
GLENWOOD...ST. CLOUD...BENSON...MONTEVIDEO...WILLMAR...
LITCHFIELD...OLIVIA...HUTCHINSON...GAYLORD...ST. PETER...
MANKATO...BLUE EARTH
1109 AM CST SUN MAR 3 2013

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THIS EVENING TO NOON
CST TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TWIN CITIES/CHANHASSEN HAS ISSUED
A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM
THIS EVENING TO NOON CST TUESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO
LONGER IN EFFECT.

* TIMING: TWO PERIODS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW EXPECTED THIS
  EVENING INTO MONDAY MORNING AND AGAIN MONDAY NIGHT. SNOW WILL
  SLOWLY DIMINISH TUESDAY MORNING.

* MAIN IMPACTS: SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 6 TO 10 INCHES.

* OTHER IMPACTS: SOUTHEAST WINDS GUSTING TO AROUND 25 MPH MONDAY
  WILL RESULT IN SOME BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW IN OPEN AREAS.

My latest 16Z TrendCast Output for ND region (http://smartwxmodel.net/update.htm)

Minot Weather Progression:  Looking for light snow beginning around 00Z, then increasing to moderate snow from 03Z to 10Z, with accumulation of 4-5" during 

this time frame.  Visibilities will be around 1/4 mile winds will be out of the East around 10-15Kts.

Grand Forks Weather Progression: Snow will start around 03Z, then increasing to moderate snow from 10Z to 14Z, with accumulation of
3-4" during this time frame.

Even the NAM (sorry Baro...haha) has shifted a bit west at 18z it looks like.     Looks like I may get thumped a bit too.

Seeing we are on page 1 with less than 10 posts, us Northerners are just too used to these 6 to 12" events and treat them "ho hum" like.  Unlike the other regions, where garnering dozens of pages for a bit of a snow threat is the norm and there are less than a dozen northern tier regional members..

Even the NAM (sorry Baro...haha) has shifted a bit west at 18z it looks like.     Looks like I may get thumped a bit too.

Seeing we are on page 1 with less than 10 posts, us Northerners are just too used to these 6 to 12" events and treat them "ho hum" like.  Unlike the other regions, where garnering dozens of pages for a bit of a snow threat is the norm and there are less than a dozen northern tier regional members..

I keep forgetting, Red Wing area?

I agree, NAM was too far NE, the northern track across ND was what I was referencing. I think SE MN is going to be one of the jackpot zones as there will be a well defined inverted stationary trof axis as the upper low dives SE and the front stalls. 

Front swinging through Billings, MT.

KBIL 032147Z 31033G51KT 1/4SM R10L/3000VP6000FT -TSPLGSSN FG SCT007 BKN032CB OVC070 01/M01 A2956 RMK AO2 PK WND 31051/2135 WSHFT 2114 RAB34E47PLB39GSB42E43B47SNB43 TSB43 PRESRR OCNL LTGICCG TS OHD MOV E P0000 I1002 $

This event is going to be fun to watch unfold. 

Yeah, SPC issued a MD for a short time for that area.

Wow, how time flies by......from the MPX 3/3/13 afternoon AFD.

CONFIDENCE CONTINUES TO INCREASE WITH SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM TOIMPACT MUCH OF THE AREA TONIGHT INTO TUESDAY. EXPECT WIDESPREAD6-10 INCH ACCUMULATIONS ACROSS MUCH OF THE AREA...WITH THEPOTENTIAL FOR STORM TOTALS NEAR A FOOT FOR IN AND AROUNDSOUTHEAST MINNESOTA. FOR THE TWIN CITIES...  THIS WILL BE THE FIRSTMARCH SNOWSTORM TO PRODUCE 6 OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW SINCE THEMARCH 21-23 STORM FROM 2008.

Ton of dry air across northern MN advecting trying to advect westward is stopping the snow dead in its tracks along the valley.  Think things will eventually moisten up and we'll see some fairly heavy snow this morning, but I think any chance of hitting that 10" mark is nearly out the window now. Still a 6" storm would be the largest that I've seen since I've been up here. Will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next couple of hours.

Ton of dry air across northern MN advecting trying to advect westward is stopping the snow dead in its tracks along the valley.  Think things will eventually moisten up and we'll see some fairly heavy snow this morning, but I think any chance of hitting that 10" mark is nearly out the window now. Still a 6" storm would be the largest that I've seen since I've been up here. Will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next couple of hours.

Easterly flow FTL in the Northern Plains...it is always a worry. Models never seem to handle it well, especially when there is no GOM fetch to feed the front. 

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE EASTERN ND/GRAND FORKS ND

945 AM CST MON MAR 04 2013

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...

..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0944 AM     HEAVY SNOW       DEVILS LAKE             48.11N 98.87W

03/04/2013  E11.0 INCH       RAMSEY             ND   BROADCAST MEDIA

0925 AM     HEAVY SNOW       3 N SARLES              48.99N 99.00W

03/04/2013  M12.0 INCH       CAVALIER           ND   CO-OP OBSERVER

My total as of 10:30am was about 10".  I missed out on the WAA snows, got zilch yesterday but just 40 miles to the west and southwest got 3 to 5 inches.  Winding down might get another 1/2" out of it.

Pines are a bit stressed thankfully it's not cement here and not real windy yet, I'd guess a ratio of15 to 1 or so.

post-4278-0-56371700-1362503054_thumb.jp

post-4278-0-89854200-1362503119_thumb.jp

Archived