• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2013 Thoughts and Predictions

Mitchell Gaines

Lots to look at for the upcoming season!

1. PDO had crashed to near normal

2. ENSO nuetral spring

3. Drought over midwest, Great Plains

4. MJO/ AO( NAO) conflict

My two analogs as of now ( not sure what Tony will come up with) are 1991 and 2002 both featured a declining PDO  from strong - and double Nina to nuetral ENSO.

Overall the picture is warm from the plains east with some chill in the northern Rockies. Precip is near normal these 2 years.  I would think the drought allows for the southern plains to be warmer than these analogs. :sizzle:  

2. ENSO nuetral spring

My two analogs as of now ( not sure what Tony will come up with) are 1991 and 2002 both featured a declining PDO  from strong - and double Nina to nuetral ENSO.

Overall the picture is warm from the plains east with some chill in the northern Rockies. Precip is near normal these 2 years.  I would think the drought allows for the southern plains to be warmer than these analogs. :sizzle:  

Based on those analogs, how do things shape up for severe wx around these parts?

2. ENSO nuetral spring

warm spring is good, I always want it green when I have my spring vacation :sizzle:

The drought needs to clear up pretty quick otherwise it's game on for another torch summer.

I would think we're in trouble this summer regardless of the Plains.  I know this one is less, but the around solar maxes summers 1980, 1991, 2002 were all hot.  Having them in drought just adds another log to the fire.

With the way things have been going, you are almost dumb if you don't go above normal. We have had what 1 below normal month in the last 2 plus years? Though, we have a solid shot of being below normal this month.

We'll finish below this month.  We're at -1.8 through yesterday.  We won't coax a +6 down the stretch.

That's two below normal months in the last four months and three below normal months in the last two years.

I would think we're in trouble this summer regardless of the Plains.  I know this one is less, but the around solar maxes summers 1980, 1991, 2002 were all hot.  Having them in drought just adds another log to the fire.

I would agree on the overall summer theme but I'm not convinced we torch early and torch often like '91 (12 90 degree days in May) or even '02 with the 90's in April.   Both of those years were torchy winters and torched in February.  The latter doesn't apply this year as we'll likely be -1 or so on temps in February.  Mild winter overall this winter but since January 15th we're below average on temps.

The funny thing about 1980 is that we didn't get our first 90 until June 29th...and ended up with 36 90 degree days that summer.  That would be tough to pull off in our modern climate but I could see a slow starting but later lasting heat season like 80 (maybe our first 90 in late May, a really torchy August like '02 was but without the early season heat).

I like '07 a fair amount for an analog for the Spring -- we will spike warm at times (it hit 80 in March believe it or not, almost twice at PHL) but have to deal with off & on cold patterns that will stale out and suck.

I think we will be in a weak La Nina, and the below normal temps in the stratosphere will increase the heat potential (and severe weather potential)

When does this winter pattern collaspe and we get to spring-like weather? I am reading after March 10.

Well I'm going to add a cold March to the mix and see if anything else comes up. I'd think now cold March with a equal reversal following that.

That'll give you 1980 as a good analog -- March was cold, April was mild.  I could see something similar although I think we start to see some "spring fling" days after next week although it may be a one/two day type thing ahead of cold fronts.

• 1 month later...

Archived