• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Tropical Cyclone Report on Sandy Out From the NHC

Rainshadow

Interesting to read the section regarding deaths.  Quite a few "indirect" / post-storm deaths which surprised me a bit.  For direct deaths storm surge was the top (which still makes me scratch my head a bit).  Also a lot of deaths from tree falls which I was expecting based on the reports at the time.

Amazing report by the NHC; that's as comprehensive as it gets. 

My weather station in Holgate (south end of LBI) measured a minimum pressure of 945.8 mb at 7:40 pm on 10/29. Was there a way I could have relayed my report to the NHC? I noticed they used some obs from other Wunderground stations in the pressure reports. Holgate is only about 12 miles from the landfall location in Brigantine, so I'll have to kick myself for not sending in my data if the option was there. Good thing the Atlantic City NOS gauge was closer to the landfall point and measured 945.5 mb, the new record low pressure on the East Coast north of NC. 

I love the Texas Tech anemometer deployment on beaches in landfalling storms; lots of great data comes out of those. Noticed a minor typo on page 5 of the report, in which the NHC mentions a Texas Tech tower that recorded 53 kt sustained (!) at a 2.25 m height near "Long Beach, NJ." I looked up the coords of that station, and it was actually near Long Branch. NHC and Texas Tech estimate that the sustained 53 kt/ gust to 66 kt at 2.25 m would correspond to roughly 68 kt sustained at the 10 m height. 

Archived