• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Your Android phone may help mets predict your weather

Potentially yes, as the article points out there are such hurdles as privacy issues, the users elevation, having enough data points, accuracy of the actual barometers themselves, data filtering and model initialization. I think for microscale experiments it could be very useful. For example, if you had a bunch of storm chasers around a supercell or hikers in a mountainous area.

Cool stuff and with the initial success of mPING, I think these types of citizen observations are going to be more common. That being said, this paragraph

Right now forecasters can vaguely tell you that there’s a chance of thunderstorms the next day. But if researchers can incorporate a large volume of pressure readings into climate models to define features associated with severe weather events, they can begin predicting when a severe storm will hit a specific part of a city up to six hours in advance. “You couldn’t do that now with any skill,” Mass said.

is a bit of a mess. The way to improve short-term forecasts of convection is not to use climate models.

Cool stuff and with the initial success of mPING, I think these types of citizen observations are going to be more common. That being said, this paragraph is a bit of a mess. The way to improve short-term forecasts of convection is not to use climate models.

Heh, I noticed that, too. While inaccurate, I doubt the layman will pick up on it.

I'd like to think that one day people would be able to buy a smart phone that not only does pressure readings but also temperature and dewpoint. It would be great to just whip out your phone to get those readings instead of having to carry a dedicated instrument.

I'd like to think that one day people would be able to buy a smart phone that not only does pressure readings but also temperature and dewpoint. It would be great to just whip out your phone to get those readings instead of having to carry a dedicated instrument.

That's be sweet...however if it doesn't serve a practical purpose towards the functionality of the phone (like how the barometer improves location accuracy), I doubt it'll happen...wouldn't exactly be a selling point for most of the public. Temperature maybe.

Archived