• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July 30th Great Lakes Severe Weather

wisconsinwx

With the upgrade to high end slight risk probs in parts of the Western Great Lakes, I decided to start a thread. Looks like storms fire this afternoon in N Wisconsin and the western part of the UP of Michigan and move SE through the evening, potentially congealing into a squall line later on.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice tonight is becoming pretty interesting. I would expect more of a wind threat especially the farther south you go.

I agree, wind is more of a threat than hail to begin with, and since it is more likely to form a squall line as it approaches S Wisconsin, I think it's safe to say damaging wind will be the main factor.

I get out of work at 8, seems like that is the consensus time for these storms to blow through.

Liking this....

EXPECT ORGANIZED

MULTICELL STORMS AND POSSIBLY SOME SUPERCELLS...WITH ATTENDANT RISKS

FOR LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS INTO THE EVENING. THE STORMS MAY

TAKE ON MORE LINEAR/SQLN CHARACTER INTO SERN WI AND PERHAPS ACROSS

PARTS OF NRN IL AND LAKE MI DURING THE EVENING WITH AN INCREASE IN

WIND DAMAGE POTENTIAL IF THIS DOES INDEED OCCUR.

Liking this....

EXPECT ORGANIZED

MULTICELL STORMS AND POSSIBLY SOME SUPERCELLS...WITH ATTENDANT RISKS

FOR LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS INTO THE EVENING. THE STORMS MAY

TAKE ON MORE LINEAR/SQLN CHARACTER INTO SERN WI AND PERHAPS ACROSS

PARTS OF NRN IL AND LAKE MI DURING THE EVENING WITH AN INCREASE IN

WIND DAMAGE POTENTIAL IF THIS DOES INDEED OCCUR.

I'm liking it too, of course the further north you are, the better chance of the storms being strong to severe given the timing.

Once again there seems to be a lack of a trigger to fire off convection....If/when these storms get going, I wonder if the lake breeze will come in to play at all.

Wonder if the SE wind off the lake tonight could trigger some cells?

Edit: WisconsinWx you might have spoke too soon. Cells popping up west of the main group in NE WI.

I believe both of us may yet see a storm or two, but right now the boundary looks to be moving slowly. Do you know when that RPM run was initialized?

Skilling said it was the latest. Could have been the 9pm run. The initialization showed the storms about where they were half hour ago.

I believe both of us may yet see a storm or two, but right now the boundary looks to be moving slowly. Do you know when that RPM run was initialized?

Yeah the boundary needs to start moving faster or in a more southerly direction for far southern Wisconsin to have a chance at getting anything.

Well the RPM was definitely off, but the storms are still going - so that's good. Should be into Ozaukee County pretty soon.

Getting a really good lightshow about 50 miles to my north if nothing else. Looks like that storm moving into Washington and Ozaukee Counties is starting to bow out a bit, and a bit more S or SSE.

Archived