Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Severe Thread: August 1- 12

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see a better LL wind response to be more confident in this, although obviously it's a bit early to get into finer details. It's nice to finally see the Pac jet begin to gain some steam again as we move into the latter part of Summer.

Still, the persistence of this feature within the models warrants attention and should be watched closely as we approach the weekend. FWIW, the GFS brings another upper trough across the northern States right after the initial shortwave.

Upper Plains on Friday, and Great Lakes and Ohio Valley on Saturday, shows a threat for a two day significant severe weather outbreak

Yeah, let's not be throwing around language like this until we are closer in time period.

I don't agree with this statement either, btw.

I know, but it has some potential, at the least we will see some severe storms during this period

I know it's been a while, but try not to use the words "significant" and "outbreak", unless you have reason to ;) . This system has high hype potential, and looks rather "meh" per the last GFS in my opinion, for the Dakotas at least.

I know it's been a while, but try not to use the words "significant" and "outbreak", unless you have reason to ;) . This system has high hype potential, and looks rather "meh" per the last GFS in my opinion, for the Dakotas at least.

Yep, We just have to wait and see what the models show in the upcoming days, and also last thursday during the Moderate Risk in the east, i ended having two rounds of decent severe weather

00Z GFS looks healthy for Friday, perhaps the best run thus far.

Meh. LL wind fields are still looking crappy except for areas across southeastern SD, which will likely have EML problems indicated by the warm H7 temps. Not exactly enthused at this point, although as I mentioned, it's nice to finally see some decent mid level flow somewhere in the CONUS besides east of the GL.

Directional wind fields in the lower levels look good, but increasing speed through H85 looks poor, we really don't get much speed shear until H7 through H5, but this may be splitting hairs at this point in time, it's a long ways off and I agree it will be interesting to watch for MN on Friday. What I find more interesting though is how the through once it passes through MN develops a bit of a negative tilt as moves through WI on Saturday, we will have to see what transpires at the lower levels to see how this all play out.

Liking the looks of Minnesota and Wisconsin. Also check out this day 4-8.

MEDIUM RANGE GUIDANCE INDICATES THAT A STRONG SHORT WAVE IMPULSE

WILL DIG SOUTHEAST OF THE CANADIAN ROCKIES BY THE BEGINNING OF THE

FORECAST PERIOD...BEFORE ACCELERATING THROUGH THE STRONGER

WESTERLIES NEAR THE CANADIAN/U.S. BORDER LATE THIS WEEK THROUGH NEXT

WEEKEND. SPREAD AMONG THE MODEL DATA BEGINS TO INCREASE RAPIDLY BY

FRIDAY/SATURDAY AS THE IMPULSE APPROACHES WHAT COULD STILL BE A

STRONGLY CONFLUENT REGIME BETWEEN THE SOUTH CENTRAL U.S. SUBTROPICAL

RIDGE...AND THE NORTHEASTERN CANADIAN POLAR VORTEX...WHICH MAY BE IN

THE PROCESS OF REDEVELOPING EASTWARD. THIS ALSO GENERALLY COINCIDES

WITH MODEL TIMING OF STRONGER SURFACE CYCLOGENESIS...WHICH COULD BE

ACCOMPANIED BY AN ORGANIZED SEVERE WEATHER THREAT...POSSIBLY

INCLUDING THE RISK FOR TORNADOES...ACROSS PARTS OF THE GREAT LAKES

REGION. AT THE PRESENT TIME...THIS POTENTIAL APPEARS HIGHEST ACROSS

PARTS OF WISCONSIN AND MICHIGAN NEXT SATURDAY /AUGUST 4/...BUT

UNCERTAINTIES ARE STILL TOO LARGE TO CONFIDENTLY DELINEATE A

REGIONAL SEVERE THREAT AREA.

12z GFS is now becoming quite interesting across the Northern Plains on Friday, with the associated vort max to the shortwave becoming negatively tilted, spreading a 40-60 kt H5 jet streak across and inducing a rather strong low level wind response within a strongly unstable warm sector that likely would be favourable for potential tornadic development. H7 temps are still a concern though.

Yeah, southwestern MN was just primed in that 12z run, outside of potential EML issues, the raw parameters were nasty...

3500+ J/kg of ML and SBCAPE, LCL heights under 800 m, effective SRH of 350+ m2/s2, effective shear of 50+ kts...

Sounds Marginal...

"NORTHERN AND CENTRAL PLAINS...

DOWNSTREAM OF THE SHORT WAVE TROUGH DIGGING ACROSS THE WESTERN

INTERNATIONAL BORDER/NORTHERN U.S. ROCKIES REGION...CLUSTERS OF

STORMS APPEAR POSSIBLE THURSDAY AND THURSDAY NIGHT. ACTIVITY LIKELY

WILL BE SUPPORTED BY DEVELOPING ZONES OF STRONGER LOWER/MID

TROPOSPHERIC WARM ADVECTION ON THE EASTERN EDGE OF WARMER AND MORE

STRONGLY CAPPING ELEVATED MIXED LAYER AIR ADVECTING EAST OF THE

ROCKIES. SUFFICIENT LOW-LEVEL MOISTURE IS EXPECTED TO EXIST ACROSS

THE REGION TO CONTRIBUTE TO MODERATELY LARGE CAPE WITH STRONG

BOUNDARY LAYER HEATING BENEATH STEEP MID-LEVEL LAPSE RATES. THIS

ENVIRONMENT PROBABLY WILL PROVE CONDUCIVE TO THE PRODUCTION OF LARGE

HAIL AND DAMAGING WIND GUSTS IN STRONGER CONVECTION. THIS MAY

BECOME ENHANCED BY INCREASING DEEP LAYER SHEAR...PARTICULARLY ACROSS

SOUTH DAKOTA DURING THE LATE AFTERNOON AND EVENING...WHERE/WHEN

PRIMARY STRENGTHENING OF MID/UPPER FORCING FOR UPWARD VERTICAL

MOTION ACROSS THE NORTHERN PLAINS IS ANTICIPATED."

MPX is cranking up their wording in the Afternoon AFD, but they put out the caveat of timing. To me, as of now It looks more like overnight Friday which should limit it some what, but I still have concerns for WI on Saturday. And I know that statement covers two different threads so I apologize in advance.

OVER THE PAST FEW DAYS...MODELS HAVE BEEN TRENDING TOWARD A

PERSISTENT...STRONG DIFLUENT FLOW /SOUTHERN-NORTHERN JET

INTERACTION/ ACROSS THE NORTHERN PLAINS FRIDAY. THESE TWO JETS

WILL COMBINE TO CREATE A POWERFUL JET OF 100-110 KT JET ACROSS MN

SATURDAY. BASED ON THE LATEST SFC AND UPPER UPPER PARAMETERS OF

THE GFS/EC...THIS SYSTEM HAS THE POTENTIAL OF A SIGNIFICANT SEVERE

WX OUTBREAK. ALTHOUGH THE SFC FRONT IS FORECAST TO BE EAST OF OUR

FA SATURDAY AFTN...IF THIS FRONT SLOWS A BIT...SVR WX COULD

DEVELOP ACROSS THE EASTERN FA SATURDAY AFTN. IN ADDITION TO THE

SVR WX POSSIBILITIES...STRONG UPPER DIFLUENT SHOULD CREATE THE

ENVIRONMENT OF A LINE OR NUMEROUS SHRA/TSRA LATE FRIDAY

NIGHT...INTO SATURDAY MORNING. THERE STILL REMAINS SOME

UNCERTAINTIES IN TERMS OF THE ORIENTATION OF THE LLJ AND SFC LOW

ALONG THE CANADIAN BORDER. BEST FORCING/MOISTURE REMAINS JUST

NORTH OF OUR FA...BUT DUE TO STRENGTH ALONE OF THIS

SYSTEM...SHRA/TSRA SHOULD DEVELOP.

00z GFS/NAM definitely paint Minnesota as a potential hot spot Friday afternoon/evening, with access to a backed low level wind field across most of the state, with locally stronger LL shear closer to the sfc low and warm front, and the mid level jet nosing into the state from the west, shear/forcing should be adequate, add that in with expected August moisture/instability fields and apparent manageable LCL heights and EML temps, could be an active day across the state, as the latest AFD suggests...

Still a tad early IMO to be really interested, but it is getting there, to an extent. Stronger LL flow would certainly make this more potentially volatile.

Still not seeing much of a real tornado threat for Friday. If 850mb southerly winds are able to ramp up to 35kt+, then I,ll get excited.

You probably will only need around 25-30 kts, remember this is August and we have plenty of instability to partially offset lower shear, that said, I would like to see some ramping up also, and there are other factors that could screw up this as well, as with any severe setup.

D3 mentioning possible discrete supercells ahead of the front, although keeping the wording modest for now, which I agree with.

...NRN PLAINS INTO UPR MS VLY/UPR GREAT LAKES REGION... DESPITE THE AFOREMENTIONED UNCERTAINTIES...IT SEEMS MORE PROBABLE THAN NOT THAT SUFFICIENT DESTABILIZATION AND STRENGTHENING OF SHEAR WILL TAKE PLACE...IN THE PRESENCE OF INCREASING LARGE-SCALE FORCING FOR UPWARD VERTICAL MOTION...TO SUPPORT SLIGHT RISK PROBABILITIES ACROSS THE EASTERN DAKOTAS THROUGH MUCH OF MINNESOTA FRIDAY/FRIDAY NIGHT. DISCRETE SUPERCELLS MAY NOT BE OUT OF THE QUESTION ALONG AND AHEAD OF A SOUTHEASTWARD ADVANCING COLD FRONT...HOWEVER IT SEEMS CONVECTION IS MORE LIKELY TO TAKE THE FORM OF ONE OR TWO EVOLVING STORMS CLUSTERS...OR A BROKEN SQUALL LINE...BY FRIDAY EVENING...WITH DAMAGING WIND GUSTS AND HAIL THE MORE PROMINENT SEVERE THREATS.

Yes...yes they do.

SYSTEM ON FRIDAY HAS THE POTENTIAL FOR WIDESPREAD THUNDERSTORMS AND WHAT LOOKS LIKE THE BEST SEVERE THREAT WE HAVE HAD IN A WHILE. FAVORABLE UPPER FLOW PATTERN WITH THE SUBTROPICAL AND POLAR JETS COMING TOGETHER AND GOOD THICKNESS DIFFLUENCE OUT AHEAD OF THE UPPER LOW AND COOLING HEIGHTS SUGGEST LIKELY POPS. THERE WILL ALSO BE NICE OVERLAP OF SHEAR AND INSTABILITY. GFS HAS 40-55KTS AT 500MB BY 06Z SATURDAY TO GO ALONG WITH 2000-2500 J/KG OF MUCAPE. THE UPPER LOW LOOKS MORE LIKE SOMETHING TYPICALLY OBSERVED IN SEPT/OCT...BUT WITH AUGUST WARMTH. A LITTLE WARM AT 850-700MB...BUT 9-11C AT 700MB IS NOT A SHOW STOPPER BY ANY MEANS. PRIMARY AREA OF FOCUS IS IN CENTRAL MN AND NORTHWEST WI.

Archived