• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
2012 Florida Spring / Summer Wet Season

Yeah next week they were talking about a CF possibly coming through. Kind of sad really. Beginning of the end of the rainy season. Hopefully the tropics will keep it intersting.

Agreed, I hate to see the end of thunderstorm season. Last Oct was awesome with rainy season lasting thru the end of the month! (but boring tropics-wise).

Only thing to look forward to in winter are the fluke frosts and freezes or the occasional squall line as a miller A passes to the north.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A cool 65 degreees this AM. Left the windows open last night.

It is turning into a dry month though. Through the 12th and less then a half inch.

September, October can be really dry up here without any tropical activity. Seems like everything that forms out there is a fish so I guess we have to wait for something to spin up on the tail end of one these fronts.

We really need a strong warm ENSO event coupled with a + PDO in order to get a repeat of the November 1894-February 1895 freezes on the peninsula. Sadly, otherwise the urban heat island and the recent PDO over the past decade have favored warmer surface temperatures and a stronger low-level ridge--meaning much drier and warmer winters down here in SE FL. I think the weakly warm, west-based ENSO and + PDO this year will be a slight improvement over the past five years, but the + NAO will not be much of an asset.

• 2 weeks later...

Up to 81.12" of rain at MIA year-to-date. That's 30.58" above normal! (average is a pathetic 50.54" ;) ).

That's especially impressive considering we started the year with a La Nina winter, which are historically drier than normal, plus the fact that we were only side-swiped (not even direct hit) by one tropical storm and no hurricanes. Just an extraordinary year for stationary fronts and very productive sea-breeze thunderstorms down here.

• 3 weeks later...

The consensus is that 99L will miss South FL, but I have my doubts. Anyway, this region is vulnerable to the loss of valuable water during the dry season, thanks to releases of water from Lake Okeechobee by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. I would wholly welcome a tropical cyclone to reduce the potential deficit.

The consensus is that 99L will miss South FL, but I have my doubts. Anyway, this region is vulnerable to the loss of valuable water during the dry season, thanks to releases of water from Lake Okeechobee by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. I would wholly welcome a tropical cyclone to reduce the potential deficit.

Absolutely. All I hear about is people complaining about too much rain but every drop I see makes me feel better about the dry season. I want to get hit by this thing anyways!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived