• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache

I just completed an amazing trip out to Hawaii where I visited the Big Island, Oahu, Kauai, and Maui. We did some incredible things such as hiking through a steaming volcano crater, visiting Pearl Harbor, driving up through Waimea Canyon and biking 28 miles down 10,000 foot Mount Haleakala on Maui.

The first leg of the trip took us from MCO to PHX and then a 7 hour flight from PHX to KOA.

High above the mountains in New Mexico

newmexicoair.jpg

On the ground in Phoenix

cardinals.jpg

Finally made it

welco0me.jpg

View from the hotel in Kona

P1020504.jpg

Sunrise in Kona

P1020517.jpg

Halema'uma'u Crater @ Volcanoes National Park

P1020523.jpg

Kilauea Iki Trail

Pretty amazing 4 mile hike across a steaming crater floor and down the sides of the crater. When it rains it is like being in a sauna.

P1020525.jpg

In the crater on Kilauea Iki Trail

P1020528.jpg

Did a nighttime hike near Kalapana and into the now evacuated Royal Gardens Subdivision but none of the photos of the lava flows at night came out very well in the photos.

P1020544.jpg

After Oahu it was on to Kauai which is also known as the Garden Isle. There are parts of Kauai like Waimea Canyon where you think you are out west.

Waimea Canyon

waimea1.jpg

You only know you are on an island when you can see the Pacific Ocean from high above

waimea2.jpg

Rock formations along the south coast and "Spouting Horn"

P1020664.jpg

P1020668.jpg

View from my hotel room out onto Cocounut Beach in Kapaa Town

P1020655.jpg

Firepit at the hotel

P1020677.jpg

Kalapaki Beach

kalapakibeach.jpg

Lots of waterfalls on Kauai'i

waterfall.jpg

Your pictures bring back many memories from my two vacations in Hawaii. I can remember standing in some of those same spots and taking some of those same pictures (although conventional film as that was 20 years ago).

I never went to the Big Island although I did spend a week in Kauai. A lot of people do not bother to go all the way out there and they miss out on a lot of the beauty and tranquility.

Hopefully you also have some pics of Maui which was my favorite. :) We stayed at Kapalua both times but traveled all over the island as well.

Your pictures bring back many memories from my two vacations in Hawaii. I can remember standing in some of those same spots and taking some of those same pictures (although conventional film as that was 20 years ago).

I never went to the Big Island although I did spend a week in Kauai. A lot of people do not bother to go all the way out there and they miss out on a lot of the beauty and tranquility.

Hopefully you also have some pics of Maui which was my favorite. :) We stayed at Kapalua both times but traveled all over the island as well.

I have some pictures from Maui coming as soon as they are uploaded. Interesting you bring up Kapalua. I am entertaining the possibility of accepting a position with my company in Kapalua over the next few weeks.

Its either Kapalua, Salt Lake City, or unemployment so I have to make a decision. I should get some Maui pictures posted in the next day or two.

I have some pictures from Maui coming as soon as they are uploaded. Interesting you bring up Kapalua. I am entertaining the possibility of accepting a position with my company in Kapalua over the next few weeks.

Its either Kapalua, Salt Lake City, or unemployment so I have to make a decision. I should get some Maui pictures posted in the next day or two.

That's quite a spread of choices, lol. My first thought is to be envious of someone with a chance to live and work there, but I guess it isn't necessarily for everyone and depends a lot on your personal circumstances. I've known a few people who have moved to Hawaii (mainly Honolulu area) and they all suffered from some "rock fever" for a while but ended up staying.

Looking forward to those Maui pics.

I fell in love with Kauai. That place was magical. Same with Maui.

I agree Kauai is amazing. The diverse landscape is what really sets in apart from the Canyon all the way to the rainforest with lush green all in between.

Before I could get to Maui pics I found some more of Kauai that i thought I would share.

P1020689.jpg

P1020690.jpg

P1020692.jpg

P1020694.jpg

P1020698.jpg

P1020728.jpg

P1020686.jpg

P1020687.jpg

P1020726.jpg

Great shots,

I have always wanted to experience hawaii

Kona looks awesome

where was your favorite spot/island?

Thanks.

Favorite islands had to be Maui and Kauai. Maui has a little bit more going on than Kauai, but Kauai is stunning.

I wouldn't likely do Honolulu/Waikiki again as it just simply reminded me of South Beach or Ft Lauderdale. Honolulu is a concrete jungle. If you haven't been you at least have to stop and visit Pearl Harbor.

I would only go back to the big island if there was a massive eruption but if you have never been I wouldn't plan for any more than 2 or 3 days on the Big Island. Hilo seemed like a much more interesting town than Kona. I thought Kona was actually kind of a bore.

The one thing that really struck me about Hawaii is how cold it gets at the higher elevations. We stayed in Volcano Village on our 2nd and final night on the big island and temps were in the 50's during the day and mid 40's in the evening. On top of Mount Haleakala on Maui temps were in the 30's with wind chills in the teens.

Thanks.

Favorite islands had to be Maui and Kauai. Maui has a little bit more going on than Kauai, but Kauai is stunning.

I wouldn't likely do Honolulu/Waikiki again as it just simply reminded me of South Beach or Ft Lauderdale. Honolulu is a concrete jungle. If you haven't been you at least have to stop and visit Pearl Harbor.

I would only go back to the big island if there was a massive eruption but if you have never been I wouldn't plan for any more than 2 or 3 days on the Big Island. Hilo seemed like a much more interesting town than Kona. I thought Kona was actually kind of a bore.

The one thing that really struck me about Hawaii is how cold it gets at the higher elevations. We stayed in Volcano Village on our 2nd and final night on the big island and temps were in the 50's during the day and mid 40's in the evening. On top of Mount Haleakala on Maui temps were in the 30's with wind chills in the teens.

That's what I said. I saw Waikiki and that was enough. Too crowded. I heard the north shore of Oahu is really nice.

I visited Hawaii back in October 2009. It was kinda a spur of the moment thing... had some time off and what I was planning to do with it didn't pan out, so a co-worker suggested Hawaii. Visited Oahu and the Big Island, though they were brief visits... spent about 2 days total on each island. Long enough to get a good feel for them but not too long to get bored. If I ever go back I'll skip both islands unless there's a big eruption on the Big Island... I was only able to see lava from a mile or two distant last time.

Anyway, to share... (sorry for the clicking...)

http://www.njfreeways.com/personal/Hawaii/

Wow, Kauai is awesome. I went to Hawaii with the family back in 2002. We stayed on Oahu most of the time, but did spend a day on the Big Island and got to see the volcanoes, which was really neat. I wouldn't likely go back to Honolulu again (though Diamond Head and Pearl Harbor was neat), but Kauai looks like it could be fun. I haven't been to Maui, either. And, frankly, I wouldn't mind spending some more time on the Big Island as I didn't spend nearly enough time there. I'd love to drive to the summit of Mauna Kea or Mauna Loa! :D

Great shots and looks like you had an excellent trip! Suggestion for making Oahu a better experience is to definately leave the city and venture to the north shore and definately hilke around Kaeana Point back towards Yokohama Bay. If you stay for more than a few days look at renting a house on Crozier Drive.

That's quite a spread of choices, lol. My first thought is to be envious of someone with a chance to live and work there, but I guess it isn't necessarily for everyone and depends a lot on your personal circumstances. I've known a few people who have moved to Hawaii (mainly Honolulu area) and they all suffered from some "rock fever" for a while but ended up staying.

Looking forward to those Maui pics.

Finally started uploading the Maui pics.

My ride from LIH to OGG

P1020742.jpg

On top of Haleakala

P1020783.jpg

P1020790.jpg

Still cold at about 6500 feet

P1020802.jpg

Warm enough at 2,500 to go into shorts and a t-shirt at the end of a 28 mile ride

P1020803.jpg

Finally started uploading the Maui pics.

More nice pics. Love the food pic. Everything is so fresh and tasty in Hawaii.

We made a choice between going up Haleakala or driving the road to Hana. We chose the drive to Hana but I was a bit underwhelmed. Kinda wish we had made the other choice after I see pictures like these.

Archived