Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ECM qpf...temps all below freezing at msp through the event.

ABR 0.97
DLH 0.97
GFK 0.63
LSE 0.87
MSP 1.12
MKT 1.00
RST 0.90
VTN 0.65

ECMWF remains S, still favors the lead anomaly ejecting S. It hasn't wavered in that regard for the last 3 days. Synoptically all the globals are nearly identical...really the small difference comes in whether they favor a northward ejection or south. Tiny differences yield rather large differences in advective processes.

ECMWF remains S, still favors the lead anomaly ejecting S. It hasn't wavered in that regard for the last 3 days. Synoptically all the globals are nearly identical...really the small difference comes in whether they favor a northward ejection or south. Tiny differences yield rather large differences in advective processes.

Like i've said before, i'm glad i'm not a forecaster. :P

Phil...your thoughts?

From what I can tell, the ECWMF still remains primarily southward of the GFS solution and its also slightly stronger. This results in a tighter temperature gradient at 850 hPa and we end up with warm seclusion which keeps the majority of Minnesota below freezing through the entire profile before the WAA is able to break into the State. The weaker GFS takes longer for the WAA to completely cutoff from the southerly flow, and we are left with a large swath of southern MN changing over to sleet/freezing rain or even rain for a period of time. However, the majority of the really intense precipitation should remain north of this boundary so it might be more important to follow the QPF zones rather than where the 0 degree isotherm is. At this juncture I'm still supporting the ECMWF although its a very tricky forecast considering minor shifts could cause huge variations in the final snowfall/precipitation totals. The biggest winners look to be St. Cloud, MN northeastward into Duluth, MN in terms of max snowfall with this event.

From what I can tell, the ECWMF still remains primarily southward of the GFS solution and its also slightly stronger. However, This results in a tighter temperature gradient at 850 hPa and we end up with warm seclusion which keeps the majority of Minnesota below freezing through the entire profile before the WAA is able to break into the State. The weaker GFS takes longer for the WAA to completely cutoff from the southerly flow, and we are left with a large swath of southern MN changing over to sleet/freezing rain or even rain for a period of time. However, the majority of the really intense precipitation should remain north of this boundary so it might be more important to follow the QPF zones rather than where the 0 degree isotherm is. At this juncture I'm still supporting the ECMWF although its a very tricky forecast considering minor shifts could cause huge variations in the final snowfall/precipitation totals. The biggest winners look to be St. Cloud, MN northeastward into Duluth, MN in terms of max snowfall with this event.

Thanks bud, I agree fully regarding the reasons for the rather large differences. Deepening rate (also PV ejection latitude/placement) is key here as an occlusion is needed to keep the warm front from spoiling the party. ECMWF has not budged from a S ejection and a slightly faster deepening rate (compared to GFS). Big difference is GFS supports a stronger WAA process and forces stronger height falls northward...tracking a tick N as well. Tiny differences here...but the results are large. Difficult to make definitive calls here with the 50 mile differences in PV ejection....but hard to forecast against the EC/ECENS regarding such feature.

The Euro has been sucking eggs. Game over for anyone south of St. Cloud.

I don't know if I would go that far. This last storm on Sunday the GFS was way off on snowfall totals. Lots of northern MN saw over a foot.

To look at a model and say this is what is going to happen is just silly. The only thing that is for sure is that there is a lot of moisture with this storm and all the remains to be seen is just how warm it will get in MSP.

I don't know if I would go that far. This last storm on Sunday the GFS was way off on snowfall totals. Lots of northern MN saw over a foot.

To look at a model and say this is what is going to happen is just silly. The only thing that is for sure is that there is a lot of moisture with this storm and all the remains to be seen is just how warm it will get in MSP.

Well so far the NAM, GFS, and Canadian are not on your side.

NAM & GFS still give some snow to msp but not as much as earlier thought. Shift south in future runs then it's all different again so i hope your not trolling or digging on a msp miss as we sure as hell know that LSE/RST will be too far south for this event for snow.

Snow or Rain, this storm will help ease the drought conditions some in MN.

NAM & GFS still give some snow to msp but not as much as earlier thought. Shift south in future runs then it's all different again so i hope your not trolling or digging on a msp miss as we sure as hell know that LSE/RST will be too far south for this event for snow.

Snow or Rain, this storm will help ease the drought conditions some in MN.

No I am not trolling at all. MSP deserves a dumping. I was just pointing out that the trend in the model runs is in the wrong direction. The EURO could easily still be on board and the there have been alot of late south trender this winter.

The NAM, GFS, and Canadian models are not even on their own side. They change more often than Charlie Sheen's personalities.

The Euro has been pretty consistent in its predictions. I still like it.

Archived