• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, someone did get 18!

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA

1114 AM EST SAT FEB 11 2012

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.

..REMARKS..

1113 AM HEAVY SNOW SAINT JOSEPH 42.11N 86.48W

02/11/2012 M18.0 INCH BERRIEN MI TRAINED SPOTTER

STORM TOTAL. 7.0 INCHES IN THE LAST 2 HOURS AND 40 MINUTES.

It was a tough call but I decided to not chase. I do sorta regret missing out on those extreme rates but other than that, the band was a little too transient. I see a double digit total in Porter county and that one in Berrien county but that is pretty far apart.

I went against the chase decision too. Those rates are something else though, and pose a real what if question (what if the band stayed put for awhile). It's unfortunate I couldn't have experienced it.

At any rate, once again the band struggles to be meaningful south of the Kankakee River. But, if you notice that when the band moves east, it actually extends further south. Pretty sure most of Jasper/Newton County are cursed when it comes to LES. :lol:

I went against the chase decision too. Those rates are something else though, and pose a real what if question (what if the band stayed put for awhile). It's unfortunate I couldn't have experienced it.

At any rate, once again the band struggles to be meaningful south of the Kankakee River. But, if you notice that when the band moves east, it actually extends further south. Pretty sure most of Jasper/Newton County are cursed when it comes to LES. :lol:

Wow, I didn't realize how Jasper county got shafted.  There was a report of 7.5" 4 miles northeast of Hebron.  The totals must've dropped off ridiculously fast a few miles south of the county line.  It's baffling why the band didn't extend farther inland given the strong low level flow.  It's not like we haven't seen big inland penetration into that area before (think 1/25/00 and 1/22/05).

Wow, I didn't realize how Jasper county got shafted.  There was a report of 7.5" 4 miles northeast of Hebron.  The totals must've dropped off ridiculously fast a few miles south of the county line.  It's baffling why the band didn't extend farther inland given the strong low level flow.  It's not like we haven't seen big inland penetration into that area before (think 1/25/00 and 1/22/05).

I think 6" can be inferred to have fallen in nw Jasper. At around 115am, coworkers at LOT called a sheriff or police in Wheatfield and they estimated 5" had fallen. Then a coop observer 5 miles north of Medaryville in Pulaski County, just east if the Jasper line, measured 6" total at 8am today. But you're right in saying that totals dropped off dramatically in general once to Jasper County. Only the nw into Pulaski was hit hard because the band took on a northwest to southeast orientation before if shifted east. There were up to 30 dbz echoes over that area for over an hour though, especially nw Jasper, which gives me confidence in thinking at least 6" fell in nw Jasper.

Rough night for me. I was flying into ORD, which ended up closed for a short time, diverted to Madison where we sat for 3 hours. Then had to drive home right thru the most intense band last night along hwy 30. Visibility was non-existent and the roads were nearly impassible. Got home and jumped on the radar just in time to see it pivoting east, I knew it was over but did end up with 8 inches. Weird thing is that I am 4 miles west of the University where they got maybe 2 inches. Sharp difference in accums.

Archived