• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New Lafayette area weather data

Fickle Heights

Hello! First post here. I'm just another LAF-area based poster checking in, haha.

I've been working for a while on a weather database for the J&C (local newspaper), and it's finally complete. This is a compliation of all the weather data from the co-op station West Lafayette 6 NW, not the airport. The searchable weather database has daily data available from 1902 through today. Additionally, there's a pdf available there that has daily weather data with the observers comments available from July 1, 1887, through Dec. 31, 1901.

The searchable weather database is available at www.jconline.com/weatherdb

The pdf of 19th century data is available for download at http://www.jconline....F/weatherdb.pdf

Here's a link to an interview with me about how all this came together: http://www.jconline....-Check-database

Finally, I've been putting the finishing touches on a spreadsheet detailing monthly and seasonal data. Here are some stats for extreme winter seasons (Dec-Feb; years shown are the ones in which the winter ended) for Lafayette. I hope to have a lot more in the future.

post-7645-0-47964200-1327964428.png

post-7645-0-80616000-1327964434.png

The least snowiest winters are surprising to me. We aren't doing half bad at all this winter compared to several of those years :lol:

I've done pretty extensive research on the WL COOP data, along with the other local COOPs...and the one thing I'd take with a grain of salt is the snowfall data.

I've done pretty extensive research on the WL COOP data, along with the other local COOPs...and the one thing I'd take with a grain of salt is the snowfall data.

Yeah, I worked at the WL coop site for a while when I was student, and it's very exposed to wind. It just blows everything off the snowboard. I live about 20 mintues SE of Lafayette, and it's the same way with the wind. Sometimes it's my best guesstimate when doing COCORaHS readings.

I really don't know that much about the really old coop data from Purdue. I do know I was taken on the roof of a building on campus that doesn't exist anymore, where the ag administration buidling exists today.

Yeah, I worked at the WL coop site for a while when I was student, and it's very exposed to wind. It just blows everything off the snowboard. I live about 20 mintues SE of Lafayette, and it's the same way with the wind. Sometimes it's my best guesstimate when doing COCORaHS readings.

I really don't know that much about the really old coop data from Purdue. I do know I was taken on the roof of a building on campus that doesn't exist anymore, where the ag administration buidling exists today.

Yeah, snowfall data is probably the least exact thing in "measured weather". We've already had a snow this winter where a best guess was probably the route to take.

Cool stuff about where the old data was taken. That may explain some of those extreme 1930's summer temps. :lol:

I dont even live in LAF but I bookmarked the website, I love old weather data. Good work!

Thank you! I appreciate it. It took me about three weeks to get everything copied, but it was a labor of love. There are some really neat things in the pdf, including wind obs from the Galveston hurricane remnants, a couple of earthquakes and lots of eclipse and Northern Lights sightings.

Archived