PAUL IS MOVING QUICKLY TO THE NORTH-NORTHEAST...020/17...STEERED BY

THE FLOW TO THE EAST OF A SHARP MID- TO UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH. A TURN

TO THE NORTH IS EXPECTED TO OCCUR BY TONIGHT AS THE TROUGH CUTS OFF

TO THE WEST OF PAUL. AFTER THAT...A SLOWER NORTHWESTWARD MOTION IS

FORECAST AS THE WEAKENING CYCLONE MOVES AROUND THE NORTH SIDE OF

THE LOW. THE NHC TRACK FORECAST IS SIMILAR TO THE PREVIOUS ONE AND

TAKES THE CENTER OF PAUL NEAR OR OVER THE SOUTH-CENTRAL BAJA

PENNISULA LATER TODAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY. THIS TRACK FORECAST IS

CLOSE TO A CONSENSUS OF THE GFS...ECMWF...GFDL...AND UKMET MODELS.

MICROWAVE SATELLITE DATA INDICATE THAT THE VORTEX IS TILTED TO THE

NORTH-NORTHEAST WITH HEIGHT...LIKELY DUE TO SOUTH-SOUTHWESTERLY

SHEAR. IN ADDITION...VERTICAL CROSS SECTIONS FROM THE GFS AND ECMWF

MODELS SUGGEST THAT THE HURRICANE WILL BECOME INCREASINGLY TILTED

DURING THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS AS THE SHEAR PICKS UP. THIS INCREASE

IN SHEAR...ALONG WITH DRIER MORE STABLE AIR...SHOULD CAUSE PAUL TO

WEAKEN SOME ON ITS APPROACH TO THE BAJA PENNISULA. HOWEVER...PAUL

IS STILL EXPECTED TO BE A HURRICANE WHEN IT MOVES NEAR OR OVER

BAJA. AFTER INTERACTING WITH LAND...ABRUPT WEAKENING IS EXPECTED

AND PAUL WILL LIKELY DISSIPATE IN 3 TO 4 DAYS. THE NHC INTENSITY

FORECAST IS AN UPDATE OF THE PREVIOUS ONE AND IT LIES AT THE HIGH

END OF THE MODEL GUIDANCE.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 16/0900Z 21.9N 112.7W 95 KT 110 MPH

12H 16/1800Z 23.8N 112.5W 85 KT 100 MPH

24H 17/0600Z 25.9N 112.7W 70 KT 80 MPH

36H 17/1800Z 27.3N 113.6W 55 KT 65 MPH...INLAND

48H 18/0600Z 28.6N 115.1W 35 KT 40 MPH...OVER WATER

72H 19/0600Z 31.0N 120.5W 20 KT 25 MPH...POST-TROP/REMNT LOW

96H 20/0600Z...DISSIPATED

The portion I underlined' date=' I feel is rather silly. "Weaken [u']some[/u]." Paul's maintained its' strength fairly well, but once these EPAC storms start weakening, they unravel fast, usually well ahead of the NHC's decay forecast. The SSTs are high enough for an anomalously strong Baja hit, but the rest of the conditions are going to demolish the storm. My opinion is a weak TS at landfall, though maybe not operationally.

I know I was suggesting earlier that it could be a big hit for Mexico, but that largely depended on how strong Paul managed to become during the RI phase and how long it maintained its' peak. Since it's already winding down to a Cat2, I don't see a real bright future here.

Edit: 12 hours??? :lmao:

The portion I underlined, I feel is rather silly. Paul's maintained its' strength fairly well, but once these EPAC storms start weakening, they unravel fast. The SSTs are high enough for an anomalously strong Baja hit, but the rest of the conditions are going to demolish the storm. My opinion is a weak TS at landfall, though maybe not operationally.

Really? If it nudges a tad E, it's going to make landfall within ~12 hr, and at that point it will still be a decent 'cane. If it moves more due-N and landfalls further up the coast-- as per the forecast track-- then it will be much weaker. But because the angle of approach is so acute, small heading shifts will heavily influence the time/place of landfall, and since they just don't know exactly when/where it will come ashore, their wording makes sense to me.

Really? If it nudges a tad E, it's going to make landfall within ~12 hr, and at that point it will still be a decent 'cane. If it moves more due-N and landfalls further up the coast-- as per the forecast track-- then it will be much weaker. But because the angle of approach is so acute, small heading shifts will heavily influence the time/place of landfall, and since they just don't know exactly when/where it will come ashore, their wording makes sense to me.

Yeah, I didn't realize it would be so quick to come ashore with an east wobble. This could definitely maintain strength for another 12 hours.

Sometimes I post things about how strange some of the NHC wording is, without actually looking at the current situation, and then I wish I hadn't said it at all. :facepalm:

It's OK. :):hug:

This thing isn't gonna weasel its' way past that cape:

Agreed-- looks like it's gonna hit. The town at that cape is a fishing village called Puerto San Carlos, and it's where I rode out Hurricane Jimena (2009), which also passed directly over it with an intensity of 90 kt. (Video posted above.)

Really? It looks T4.5 at best to me right now. Plus, it's weakening as it comes ashore.

It's about 3 2 hours from landfall, how much can it weaken in that time?, convection still looks strong...I don't think it goes below cat 2. Plus, it's hauling ass, that should help with winds in the SE quad.

Bingo.

The 11 am advisory has it down to 80 kt and still offshore. It's ~30 mi S of Puerto San Carlos and moving due N now, so I imagine they'll get a direct hit.

Fun to track, but I'm cool with my decision not to chase this one.

Well, I meant 11am EDT, but yeah. The satellite presentation was deteriorating as it was gaining latitude.

Archived