• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
How would you rank the top ten US storms relative to climatology?

I start off with my rankings relative to climatology.

1) 1938 Hurricane

2) Labor Day Hurricane 1935

3) Hurricane Camille 1969

4) Hurricane Katrina 2005

5) 1993 Storm of the Century

6) Blizzard of 1888

7) April 1974 tornado outbreak

8) Cleveland Superbomb 1978

9) Galveston Hurricane of 1900

10) Columbus Day Storm of 1962

Some of these are hard to rank...take 1993 for instance...whose climatology is it being ranked against - Alabama or New York?

It's tough to compare since they span different seasons and geographic regions. I was just curious to see how others from different parts of the country would put together a top ten list.

I start off with my rankings relative to climatology.

1) 1938 Hurricane

2) Labor Day Hurricane 1935

3) Hurricane Camille 1969

4) Hurricane Katrina 2005

5) 1993 Storm of the Century

6) Blizzard of 1888

7) Galveston Hurricane 1900

8) Cleveland Superbomb 1978

9) 2011 tornado outbreak

10) Columbus Day Storm of 1962

Relative to climo and within a few hundred miles of the USA, my list would be...

93 superstorm

78 blizzard

wilma

74 tornado outbreak

1938 hurricane

1950's (can't remember year) appalachia snowstorm over western PA (produced over four feet of snow in November)

Blizzard of 1888

1925 tornado

The "perfect" storm

200mph winds over Mt Washington

The key is your use of the word "climo". That means anomalous weather, and thus my list. Camille, Katrina, Labor Day hurricanes are not really climo anomalous. You expect those every so often. 1938 was anomalous in that it had great intensity so far north. Wilma for its record low pressure. The 74 outbreak was more anomolous than the 2011 one. 93 superstorm for its vastness and low pressures. 1925 tornado for its long path. The blizzards for low pressure and/or anomalous snow/winds.

Relative to climo and within a few hundred miles of the USA, my list would be...

93 superstorm

78 blizzard

wilma

74 tornado outbreak

1938 hurricane

1950's (can't remember year) appalachia snowstorm over western PA (produced over four feet of snow in November)

Blizzard of 1888

1925 tornado

The "perfect" storm

200mph winds over Mt Washington

The key is your use of the word "climo". That means anomalous weather, and thus my list. Camille, Katrina, Labor Day hurricanes are not really climo anomalous. You expect those every so often. 1938 was anomalous in that it had great intensity so far north. Wilma for its record low pressure. The 74 outbreak was more anomolous than the 2011 one. 93 superstorm for its vastness and low pressures. 1925 tornado for its long path. The blizzards for low pressure and/or anomalous snow/winds.

Camille, Katrina and Labor Day were benchmark storms for the US relative to climo. Lowest pressure for US

in 1935 along with Katrina's surge and Camille's wind and surge. Don't forget the epic mountain

flooding in VA from Camille which was one of the all time record flash floods in US history.

Camille, Katrina and Labor Day were benchmark storms for the US relative to climo. Lowest pressure for US

in 1935 along with Katrina's surge and Camille's wind and surge. Don't forget the epic mountain

flooding in VA from Camille which was one of the all time record flash floods in US history.

I'm still not convinced that those storms were anything other than strong hurricanes that hit the USA. What about Andrew? I considered the Labor Day storm for the top ten, and it could be, and Katrina could be discussed for surge/size. However, Camille doesn't stand out to me as something we may not see in a 80 year lifetime. We've already seen the equivalent or better in only 35 years.

I sense that your list has an element of damage/human disruption to it. However, when you mention climo, damage should NOT be a part of the discussion.

I'm still not convinced that those storms were anything other than strong hurricanes that hit the USA. What about Andrew? I considered the Labor Day storm for the top ten, and it could be, and Katrina could be discussed for surge/size. However, Camille doesn't stand out to me as something we may not see in a 80 year lifetime. We've already seen the equivalent or better in only 35 years.

I sense that your list has an element of damage/human disruption to it. However, when you mention climo, damage should NOT be a part of the discussion.

We have not even seen anything close to Camille since 1969. No hurricane has made landfall with that low a pressure,

wind speeds, tidal surge, and around 27 inches of rain combined at any US location.

I never mentioned damage, only rarity of the storms. Your choice of Wilma doesn't apply since I am focusing

on US impacts.

Archived