• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Where do you go for data?

I've been using a combo of coolwx.com, Millersville University, and NWS CTP sites for data (and, of course, my PWS). Just wondering where everyone else goes for images, animated model runs, and forecasts. I'd especially like stuff that isn't TOO deep, as my knowledge of technical wx data is limited to the intermediate hobbyist level.

On that note, if there are any sites that are good at "teaching" meteorology, those would also be appreciated, as I'd love to advance my knowledge. Should have stayed with millersville's program instead of dropping out.....altough career-wise, electrical engineering is a much better choice with the current state of affairs.

I'm a hobbyist as well and I like using weather underground. I f you go under "maps & Radar"and then model maps you can get runs for the Euro, GFS, NAM and RUC. You can animate and zoom in and out to local, regional and continent views. It is also easy to compare different cycles of each model for a specific time for trends or compare different models at the same time frame.

It is not as comprehensive as some other sites in terms of number of models covered or things like ensembles, but it is a pretty good place for a quick view of what is going on.

I'm a hobbyist as well and I like using weather underground. I f you go under "maps & Radar"and then model maps you can get runs for the Euro, GFS, NAM and RUC. You can animate and zoom in and out to local, regional and continent views. It is also easy to compare different cycles of each model for a specific time for trends or compare different models at the same time frame.

It is not as comprehensive as some other sites in terms of number of models covered or things like ensembles, but it is a pretty good place for a quick view of what is going on.

I discovered wunderground last year, great resource for the meteorologically impaired. I usually just end up going to the GFS/Euro models, selecting precip type, then letting them run. However, I'd really like to understand the significance of the other model data as well. Thanks for your input!

Read my sig for the three sites I use the most. I stopped using TwisterData once InstantWeatherMaps became that site and more. Many of the variables on InstantWeatherMaps.com in particular are layman-oriented (like snowfall [major plus... Earl Barker is the only other site, free or paid, that I know of who has snowfall that's not based on a fixed ration] and heat index)

I discovered wunderground last year, great resource for the meteorologically impaired. I usually just end up going to the GFS/Euro models, selecting precip type, then letting them run. However, I'd really like to understand the significance of the other model data as well. Thanks for your input!

I really like raleigh's site. Especially for teleconnection indicies because their all on one page for each model run.

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models.html

I never really payed much mind to models until I found eastern in 2006. Now it's become part of my daily routine.

I learned to read maps piece by piece starting with 500 and then 850 maps. Upper level maps tell a detailed story about what is going on upstairs and 850 maps tell you pretty much what is going on at the surface. Those are the 2 I recommend learning first.

Archived