• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow climo stats for Washington DC (DCA)

Ian

I'll take requests on others -- maybe some other folks want to add to it as well. I'll just post data or links to data here probably. I am planning on writing a piece on D.C.'s snow history for CWG but I'm sorta overtaxed 'til I finish my monthly climo series there so it might not happen this year... either way, it'll be helpful for that too if I just post some data here. So, to start with--gymengineer's request from earlier (also with some additional snowfall by day criteria).

Snowfall and snow on ground counts (# of days per season) for T+/1"+/3"+/5"+ snow and T/1"+ snowg

http://www.ianliving...ow_snowg_yr.xls

Ian, can you repost that excel sheet you had of the # of 1"+ snowfall days, number of 1"+ snow depth days, and number of T snow depth days for every DC winter? Maybe post it in Matt's thread about all the 1" events since 2004?

I searched for your post with that chart on here, but couldn't find it. Was it created back when Eastern was still running?

Thanks in advance.

Also have raw count/odds by day for T/1"/etc. tho my file is thru last yr and it's getting late so I'll update it tomorrow.

I'll take requests on others -- maybe some other folks want to add to it as well. I'll just post data or links to data here probably. I am planning on writing a piece on D.C.'s snow history for CWG but I'm sorta overtaxed 'til I finish my monthly climo series there so it might not happen this year... either way, it'll be helpful for that too if I just post some data here. So, to start with--gymengineer's request from earlier (also with some additional snowfall by day criteria).

Snowfall and snow on ground counts (# of days per season) for T+/1"+/3"+/5"+ snow and T/1"+ snowg

http://www.ianliving...ow_snowg_yr.xls

Also have raw count/odds by day for T/1"/etc. tho my file is thru last yr and it's getting late so I'll update it tomorrow.

Thanks so much for this. So, with the added 3"+ and 5"+ columns, we see that 09/10 matched the highest amount of those days in DC recorded history, including before the move to DCA. Six days of 3"+ snows and five days of 5"+ snows- wow. We also see that the two snowiest winters weren't at the top for snow cover.

And the best case scenario of a true winter blast from a recent robust Nina- '99/'00 with 20 days of 1" snow cover.

Here's one that goes with it. Also have a database I created off the main one for snow events. It's technically a work in progress.. I have a number of items with notes next to them to look at, primarily in the earlier years. I did some guessing on if an event was one or two -- which I may proof some day if I ever have time. It's good enough that I am willing to quote "around" type of percentages and such when doing analyses.

# of events with accumulation per season

http://www.ianliving...w-events_yr.xls

I can break that out better too at some point (tomorrow maybe) as in this form it includes a lot of .1" snow with drenching rain type events.

Thanks so much for this. So, with the added 3"+ and 5"+ columns, we see that 09/10 matched the highest amount of those days in DC recorded history, including before the move to DCA. Six days of 3"+ snows and five days of 5"+ snows- wow. We also see that the two snowiest winters weren't at the top for snow cover.

And the best case scenario of a true winter blast from a recent robust Nina- '99/'00 with 20 days of 1" snow cover.

Yeah there are lots of neat stats for 09-10. It's funny that in the yrs prior (even after other snowy winters) at least a handful of "respecteds" were talking up how it almost can't snow as much anymore in DC. Other than Feb which we barely missed the records it will remain a tough target going forward on a lot of fronts most likely -- not that saying such is any great revelation I suppose. It's been a while since I looked over it much in depth... I know there were some relatively minor snow years that ended up with a lot of depth days and the other way around. As hard as it can be to get either I guess it's also pretty hard to get both.

Here's one that goes with it. Also have a database I created off the main one for snow events. It's technically a work in progress.. I have a number of items with notes next to them to look at, primarily in the earlier years. I did some guessing on if an event was one or two -- which I may proof some day if I ever have time. It's good enough that I am willing to quote "around" type of percentages and such when doing analyses.

# of events with accumulation per season

http://www.ianliving...w-events_yr.xls

I can break that out better too at some point (tomorrow maybe) as in this form it includes a lot of .1" snow with drenching rain type events.

Thanks, both spreadsheets are very informative. The first thing that jumps out at me is that the 1935-36 winter produced the most snow events in DC, even though there was measurable snow in only three calendar months and the total snowfall of 31.8 inches ranks only 18th on the all-time list.

Here are some historical stats on 10-day moving averages for snowfall in DC that might hearten snow lovers who don't see much happening this season for at least the next month or so. The highest 10-day moving average occurs during February 4-13, when, during 1885-2011, an average of 2.74 inches have fallen. All of the other Top Ten 10-day moving averages occur in either late January or early February. Specifically, the Top Ten is as follows:

February 4-13, 2.74 inches

January 28-February 6, 2.73 inches

January 22-January 31, 2.69 inches

February 5-14, 2.68 inches

February 3-12, 2.68 inches

January 25-February 3, 2.63 inches

January 24-February 2, 2.63 inches

January 27-February 5, 2.62 inches

February 2-11, 2.62 inches

January 26-February 4, 2.61 inches

• 3 weeks later...

still on the first page.. lazy wxusaf

still on the first page.. lazy wxusaf

edit: guess this isnt by day. wes has that info too i know since i passed it to him. i dont have it at work.

Archived