• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Remainder of the Midwest/Great Lakes Snow Events

wisconsinwx

We've had a great run of winters here recently as well, with a nearly 100" season in 07-08 and a season with 80" in 08-09, but we had to endure three relatively crappy winters in a row (01-02, 02-03, and 03-04, not to mention 00-01 was front loaded). Only relatively speaking, as each of these years had b/w 30 and 40 inches. I guess it goes to show how climo works. If we had crappy winters the last few years, it would have been one boring decade for snow.

Crazy how that works as both 00-01 and 01-02 was pretty decent here BUT the lake really helped the cause in this area. Both winters had around 90" but as you said 00-01 was mainly front loaded with near 75" inches falling prior to Jan 1st. Have the epic Dec to mostly thank for that as it had almost 55" inches for the month. Both Nov and Dec though broke records for snowiest Nov and Dec and snowiest month ever which Dec 2000 holds as well. After Jan 1st it pretty much was ZzzzzZZZZzzz in these parts. With 01-02 it came in 3 big hits basically.. The mega LES event in late Dec 01 with almost 30", then late Jan/Feb 1 had a big system and then early March.

03-04 ended up with 48.4"

05-06 ended up with 46.2" and thus the lowest of the decade. The only below normal snowfall seasons of the decade.

So yeah it has been a great run with seasonal snowfall. Only thing missing is a big bomb ( Not counting that Late Dec LES event )interestingly enough.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok. I just checked my logs. All rain here. I agree about 2005-06. What looked like it'd be a heck of a winter sure turned to crap around Christmas. Never recovered. Even as horrific as a winter 2009-10 was here, I still got more snow JFM that year than I did in JFM 2006.

I was one of the few who went warmer/below normal snow for that winter. Thus i did see it coming but still it did not remove the sting. What burned me more then anything was having nearly 18" on the ground a week before Christmas and then all of it being wiped by Christmas am. Alot of it got wiped by that Christmas eve/Day rain storm.

Crazy how that works as both 00-01 and 01-02 was pretty decent here BUT the lake really helped the cause in this area. Both winters had around 90" but as you said 00-01 was mainly front loaded with near 75" inches falling prior to Jan 1st. Have the epic Dec to mostly thank for that as it had almost 55" inches for the month. Both Nov and Dec though broke records for snowiest Nov and Dec and snowiest month ever which Dec 2000 holds as well. After Jan 1st it pretty much was ZzzzzZZZZzzz in these parts. With 01-02 it came in 3 big hits basically.. The mega LES event in late Dec 01 with almost 30", then late Jan/Feb 1 had a big system and then early March.

03-04 ended up with 48.4"

05-06 ended up with 46.2" and thus the lowest of the decade. The only below normal snowfall seasons of the decade.

So yeah it has been a great run with seasonal snowfall. Only thing missing is a big bomb ( Not counting that Late Dec LES event )interestingly enough.

I was told that the NAO was very negative and there were a few weeks of blocking during that epic December. Was that the case? Must've been East-based blocking, b/c west-based blocking tends to promote suppression in the GL, doesn't it?

No, the Superbowl storm was a few weeks later:

http://www.crh.noaa....now200602051422

And as Michsnowfreak said, it was a much hyped event that turned into a sloppy mix, light coating at the end, dud.

Ha, I remember that one. The NAM (or was it still the ETA back then?) was showing a monstrous apps runner about 72 hours. Trend was not our friend.

No, the Superbowl storm was a few weeks later:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/display_event.php?file=snow200602051422

And as Michsnowfreak said, it was a much hyped event that turned into a sloppy mix, light coating at the end, dud.

So it was this one?

SnowMap20060204_1600.png

What was really amazing was that January the coldest daytime high was 32 and that happened only twice that month at KBTL. Every other day that month had highs above freezing. For places like Lansing it was the 3rd warmest January ever. Only 1880 and 1932 was warmer!

My favorite surprise snowstorm of last winter, showing the evolution of warnings and how unpredictable LES is:

CUYAHOGA-MEDINA-SUMMIT-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CLEVELAND...MEDINA...AKRON

924 PM EST TUE DEC 7 2010

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING IS CANCELLED...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CLEVELAND HAS CANCELLED THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING. SNOW HAS BEGUN TO TAPER OFF ACROSS NORTH CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST OHIO AND IS EXPECTED TO COME TO AN END EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING. HOWEVER...AN ADDITIONAL 1 TO 3 INCHES OF NEW SNOW IS POSSIBLE ACROSS NORTHERN MEDINA AND SUMMIT COUNTY...AND EASTERN CUYAHOGA COUNTY BY DAYBREAK...WITH AROUND AN INCH OF NEW SNOW EXPECTED ELSEWHERE.

CUYAHOGA

-INCLUDING THE CITY OF...CLEVELAND

1101 AM EST WED DEC 8 2010

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST THISEVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CLEVELAND HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY FOR CUYAHOGA COUNTY UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING. LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE TODAY. SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS TODAY WILL AVERAGE AN INCH OR TWO BUT 4 OR 5 INCHES WILL ACCUMULATE IN THE MORE PERSISTENT SNOW BANDS. THE HIGHER SNOW AMOUNTS ARE MOST LIKELY ACROSS EASTERN CUYAHOGA COUNTY.

By 11 am there was already 3" downtown

CUYAHOGA-LAKE-GEAUGA-ASHTABULA INLAND-ASHTABULA LAKESHORE-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CLEVELAND...MENTOR...CHARDON...JEFFERSON...ASHTABULA

321 PM EST WED DEC 8 2010

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM EST THISEVENING...

THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY IS NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM FOR CUYAHOGA...GEAUGA...LAKE AND ASHTABULA COUNTIES IN NORTHEAST OHIO. LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE TONIGHT...ESPECIALLY BEFORE MIDNIGHT. SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS TONIGHT WILL AVERAGE 1 TO 2 INCHES BUT 5 MORE INCHES WILL ACCUMULATE IN THE MORE PERSISTENT SNOW BANDS.

By 3:30pm about 7" was on the ground in downtown Cleveland. Finally after 8" was on the ground and after 8 hours of inch per hour rates, the warning was issued:

CUYAHOGA-GEAUGA-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CLEVELAND...CHARDON

426 PM EST WED DEC 8 2010

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM EST THISEVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CLEVELAND HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM EST THIS EVENING. AN INTENSE BAND OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW OVER NORTHEAST CUYAHOGA COUNTY AND DOWNTOWN WILL SLOWLY SAG SOUTH THROUGH THE EVENING. TWO TO SIX INCHES OF SNOW IS EXPECTED THIS EVENING. VISIBILITIES WILL BE A QUARTER MILE OR LESS IN THE HEAVY SNOW BANDS WITH 1 TO 2 INCHES OF SNOW AN HOUR. THE SNOW BAND IS EXPECTED TO PUSH SOUTH OF DOWNTOWN CLEVELAND BETWEEN 6 PM AND 7 PM. TRAVEL WILL BE VERY SLOW ANDDANGEROUS. A FEW LOCATIONS ON THE EASTSIDE HAD OVER 6 INCHES OF SNOW THIS AFTERNOON.

And by sunset this was the result:

5245700564_44697f1bd9_z.jpg

My favorite surprise snowstorm of last winter, showing the evolution of warnings and how unpredictable LES is:

Ah yes, I remeber that Trent. I think it was my second real LES snowstorm after moving here. They let us out of work a little early, but 271 was a parking lot already. Though, I am on the east side, I remember seeing pictures from downtown and cars stranded / abandoned. Awesome snow rates / intensity, but terrible to be out drving in.

Archived