• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Goes-R

what about the night visible imagery? I read about that a while ago in BAMS. Any news on that?

It will be interesting to see how this is all presented on the web - if we can use GEMPAK to receive all of this or is GEM will be gone by then and replaced with the new updates. Lot of imagery if this updates every 30 seconds to 1 minute - on top of the new radar data streams - I can't even image how many gigs a month will be used!

Was this the article?

The Defense Meteorological Satellite Program (DMSP) Operational Linescan System (OLS) nighttime visible channel was designed to detect earth–atmosphere features under conditions of low illumination (e.g., near the solar terminator or via moonlight reflection). However, this sensor also detects visible light emissions from various terrestrial sources (both natural and anthropogenic), including lightning-illuminated thunderstorm tops. This research presents an automated technique for objectively identifying and enhancing the bright steaks associated with lightning flashes, even in the presence of lunar illumination, derived from OLS imagery. A line-directional filter is applied to the data in order to identify lightning strike features and an associated false color imagery product enhances this information while minimizing false alarms. Comparisons of this satellite product to U.S. National Lightning Detection Network (NLDN) data in one case as well as to a lightning mapping array (LMA) in another case demonstrate general consistency to within the expected limits of detection. This algorithm is potentially useful in either finding or confirming electrically active storms anywhere on the globe, particularly those occurring in remote areas where surface-based observations are not available. Additionally, the OLS nighttime visible sensor provides heritage data for examining the potential usefulness of the Visible-Infrared Imager-Radiometer Suite (VIIRS) Day/Night Band (DNB) on future satellites including the National Polar-orbiting Operational Environmental Satellite System (NPOESS) Preparatory Project (NPP). The VIIRS DNB will offer several improvements to the legacy OLS nighttime visible channel, including full calibration and collocation with 21 narrowband spectral channels.

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/WAF-D-10-05002.1

It will be interesting to see how this is all presented on the web - if we can use GEMPAK to receive all of this or is GEM will be gone by then and replaced with the new updates. Lot of imagery if this updates every 30 seconds to 1 minute - on top of the new radar data streams - I can't even image how many gigs a month will be used!

Was this the article?

The Defense Meteorological Satellite Program (DMSP) Operational Linescan System (OLS) nighttime visible channel was designed to detect earth–atmosphere features under conditions of low illumination (e.g., near the solar terminator or via moonlight reflection). However, this sensor also detects visible light emissions from various terrestrial sources (both natural and anthropogenic), including lightning-illuminated thunderstorm tops. This research presents an automated technique for objectively identifying and enhancing the bright steaks associated with lightning flashes, even in the presence of lunar illumination, derived from OLS imagery. A line-directional filter is applied to the data in order to identify lightning strike features and an associated false color imagery product enhances this information while minimizing false alarms. Comparisons of this satellite product to U.S. National Lightning Detection Network (NLDN) data in one case as well as to a lightning mapping array (LMA) in another case demonstrate general consistency to within the expected limits of detection. This algorithm is potentially useful in either finding or confirming electrically active storms anywhere on the globe, particularly those occurring in remote areas where surface-based observations are not available. Additionally, the OLS nighttime visible sensor provides heritage data for examining the potential usefulness of the Visible-Infrared Imager-Radiometer Suite (VIIRS) Day/Night Band (DNB) on future satellites including the National Polar-orbiting Operational Environmental Satellite System (NPOESS) Preparatory Project (NPP). The VIIRS DNB will offer several improvements to the legacy OLS nighttime visible channel, including full calibration and collocation with 21 narrowband spectral channels.

http://journals.amet...AF-D-10-05002.1

Yep, that is it. Cool Stuff. I loved the images in the article.

The total lightning will be most interesting to see on this, amongst many, many more features. Hope these new birds fly soon!!

Anybody going to the GOES Users Conference in 2 weeks?? It will be held in conjunction with the 36th Annual Meeting of the National Weather Association in Birmingham, AL. I will be attending, but can only stay for part of the GOES portion. Here's more info:

http://www.goes-r.gov/

Click on the GUC link in the right hand column mentioning the GOES Users/NWA meetings.

Hope to see some of you there!!

--Turtle

The lightning mapper on there is the most exciting imo, will allow the integration of lightning rates into short term forecasts.

One minute (pos/neg) lightning strikes/rates are already available through the NLDN and used for SPSs, AWWs, etc.

One minute (pos/neg) lightning strikes/rates are already available through the NLDN and used for SPSs, AWWs, etc.

Total lightning (intracloud + cloud-to-ground) has been shown to be a much more important tool than only cloud-to-ground which is the only thing you see with NLDN.

Total lightning (intracloud + cloud-to-ground) has been shown to be a much more important tool than only cloud-to-ground which is the only thing you see with NLDN.

Yeah, but cg rates are what instigate the issuance of near term products.

Yeah, but cg rates are what instigate the issuance of near term products.

That may be true. Total lightning has been shown to have the potential to significantly increase lead times and lower false alarm rates for tornado warnings, based on the rate of change of total lightning in a storm. Now these increased lead times and lower false alarm rates were realized using high resolution LMA (Lightning Mapping Array) data and there is an argument that the resolution of the GLM may not be as efficient, or lead to such a significant improvement.

Suffice to say, NWS leadership is salivating over the potential, so you'll be hearing a lot about it in the years leading up to launch.

That may be true. Total lightning has been shown to have the potential to significantly increase lead times and lower false alarm rates for tornado warnings, based on the rate of change of total lightning in a storm. Now these increased lead times and lower false alarm rates were realized using high resolution LMA (Lightning Mapping Array) data and there is an argument that the resolution of the GLM may not be as efficient, or lead to such a significant improvement.

Suffice to say, NWS leadership is salivating over the potential, so you'll be hearing a lot about it in the years leading up to launch.

Yeah I've heard of those studies. In the meantime, I'll be surprised if GOES-R actually gets launched in 2015. I'm not exactly holding my breath. :lol:

Yeah I've heard of those studies. In the meantime, I'll be surprised if GOES-R actually gets launched in 2015. I'm not exactly holding my breath. :lol:

I agree with you there! We should just contract the Europeans to build our satellites...MSG was launched in 2005 (so it will take us 10+ years to just catch up to their technology).

I agree with you there! We should just contract the Europeans to build our satellites...MSG was launched in 2005 (so it will take us 10+ years to just catch up to their technology).

Not just that...the way Congress is salivating at the mouth to cut science these days, there may be no money for it.

Do you have a link to those studies? I'd be interested in reading them.

Reading further into the GLM.. It's CCD is only 1372x1300 pixels which from a GEO orbit leads to a 8km latitudinal pixel width and 14km longitudinal width on the edges. Not exactly storm scale but good for large events like QLCS and Nor'easters/ Lake storms.

You're right...that's the main issue...you could have multiple updrafts in one GLM pixel which limits your ability to accurately ascertain any lightning trends. So it's hard to take improvements seen using LMA data and say you'll see the same from the GLM.

FWIW, I don't see any convincing evidence of this.

Sorry I should had been more clear, but I was talking in the terms of total lightning vs. only cloud-to-ground with respect to lead time on tornado warnings. (see slide 6 of the presentation I posted).

Great news!

Another thing that hasn't been touched upon much is that this should also provide more data for assimilation, and thereby improve the models too! Better resolution means better cloud tracking, especially for those pesky, short-lived low-level cumulus clouds. Should definitely improve low-level AMV density.

Archived