• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
San Juan Island, Washington

Allenson

So, the wife and I took a trip last week out to the San Juan Islands of Washington to visit some friends that live out there. We spent the bulk of our time on San Juan itself, as that's where they live. It was a great trip & the weather was outstanding, if actually a little hot during the middle of the day.

It was/is very dry out there as apparently it hasn't rained appreciably in many weeks but from what the locals told me, that's pretty much par for the course this time of year. I was quite surprised to learn that yearly precipitation on the island ranges from only 20-30"--they're shadowed by the Olympic Range off to the south-southwest. Because of this, there are several areas on the islands that harbor native prairie/savannah/grasslands. Anyway, here are some shots from the trip:

Flying over the Rockies--even a little snow visible on the ridgelines:

6143306365_c64cdcd415_z.jpg

Mighty Rainier coming into view as we get closer to Seattle:

6143856618_b8aedfdf4c_z.jpg

The next morning from the ferry, hazy Rainier and the busy/industrial waterfront:

6143867132_5ea06e99ea_z.jpg

Island headland and the Cascades off to the east from Puget Sound:

6143328115_a98ac60626_z.jpg

Madrone looks so out of place and "tropical" amid the hemlock and Doug fir, more like something you'd expect in a park near San Diego.

Yeah, it did look a little out of place. Not sure what its natural history is but there's certainly plenty of it out there. One naturalist fellow I spoke with said in some places where it grows as an almost pure stand, there's actually too much--the trees are too closely spaced, thus leading to reduced air movement and a fair bit of fungal disease just growing away in the stagnant air.

And the oaks in the savannah setting are 'garry oaks':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_garryana

Just to show how huge of an impact the rain shadow has...

map_waprecip1.jpg

Notice the area near Sequim (pronounced "skwim") on the north end of the Olympic Peninsula that gets only 10-20 inches of rain a year, even though it's right on the Strait of Juan de Fuca (essentially an arm of the ocean). Meanwhile, places like Sekiu, only 60 miles to the west (and a relatively flat drive) average over 80 inches a year.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=48.206371,-123.027649&spn=1.272152,2.469177&t=h&z=9&vpsrc=6

Archived