• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Interesting +EPO Eastern Trough Pattern

bluewave

The +EPO Eastern Trough pattern has been persistent since the beginning of August.

There were several years when this was a dominant pattern for August and September.

While its too early to tell how long that this pattern will last, many of the analog years featured a lingering trough in the East.

even after the +EPO pattern finally shifted.It will be interesting to see if there is a resemblance to the analog composites

going forward.

October

DJF

Sign me up for some of THAT! Thanks again for your excellent research!

Interesting to see the strong -NAO that shows up following the August and September +EPO!

Thanks.I am just looking at the composites for a very general signal of a trough in the East.

There was variability from individual year to year of the analogs. Some of the more extreme

winters skewed the composites to a colder look. In any event, it will be interesting to see what

transpires in October to get a better idea and refine the analogs more after for the actual

October pattern.

Thanks.I am just looking at the composites for a very general signal of a trough in the East.

There was variability from individual year to year of the analogs. Some of the more extreme

winters skewed the composites to a colder look. In any event, it will be interesting to see what

transpires in October to get a better idea and refine the analogs more after for the actual

October pattern.

October is such a big month. Can you do me a solid? Can you posibly look up October's that had a +PNA and then the Dec, Jan, Feb 500 mb patterns that followed? I am positive there is a correlation between +PNA October and a -NAO.

October is such a big month. Can you do me a solid? Can you posibly look up October's that had a +PNA and then the Dec, Jan, Feb 500 mb patterns that followed? I am positive there is a correlation between +PNA October and a -NAO.

these are the the average temperature maps for October and November before our snowiest winters...

Yeah, October is an important month for early winter pattern clues. A few of the biggest years for +PNA Octobers and

following winter blocking patterns were 2010,1965, and 1962. Other years with Western North American ridging that

was further west in October followed by blocking winters were 1993 and 2002. Some years we got lesser degrees

of winter blocking after the +PNA October.

Yeah, October is an important month for early winter pattern clues. A few of the biggest years for +PNA Octobers and

following winter blocking patterns were 2010,1965, and 1962. Other years with Western North American ridging that

was further west in October followed by blocking winters were 1993 and 2002. Some years we got lesser degrees

of winter blocking after the +PNA October.

If you get the time, i would love to see the maps, or PM me on how you populate the maps and I will do it. Thanks again.

Sure. I put together a composite of +0.75 or greater PNA Octobers and rolled it forward into the winter.

I don't think there is any nyc snow weenie who wouldnt take their chances in a setup like that. Thank you for taking the time to do that and I am happy to see the correlation does exist and wasn't a figmant of my imagination.

Hey Bluewave, can you put up them maps showing the correlation between + Septembers temp wise (use only +1 and over) and the D,J,F temps and precip's that followed?

I haven't been able to find much of a correlation between September temperatures and the winter pattern here.

yeah, that is what I thought, its pretty much a lame duck month. Just trying to make sure I have good ammo agains the warmanistas if the heat comes back this month.

Sometimes this time of year the temperatures don't always look like what you would expect from the 500 mb pattern.

The teleconnections last October were great for last winter though you wouldn't necessarily have

seen by just looking at the temperatures.

October 2010 500 mb pattern

October 2010 temperatures

Sometimes this time of year the temperatures don't always look like what you would expect from the 500 mb pattern.

The teleconnections last October were great for last winter though you wouldn't necessarily have

seen by just looking at the temperatures.

October 2010 500 mb pattern

October 2010 temperatures

The -NAO in October IMHO actually hurt us last year in the winter because the block set in for October, Nov, Dec and the broke down by the end of January. If it started a month later, we would have kicked ass all the way through February.

Am I correct that Nov 2010 had a positive 500MB anomoly in the north atlantic?

The -NAO in October IMHO actually hurt us last year in the winter because the block set in for October, Nov, Dec and the broke down by the end of January. If it started a month later, we would have kicked ass all the way through February.

Am I correct that Nov 2010 had a positive 500MB anomoly in the north atlantic?

The interesting thing is that since 2002 blocking in October was usually followed up with blocking in the winter.

http://www.cpc.ncep....ent.ascii.table

Even though it took a while, the big blocking of October 2006 was followed by the blocking pattern in February 2007.

The interesting thing is that since 2002 blocking in October was usually followed up with blocking in the winter.

Even though it took a while, the big blocking of October 2006 was followed by the blocking pattern

on February of 2007.

Blocking yes, but last year when dealing with mod to strong Nina no block = disaster, so the duration was more of a factor then actually averaging negative.

Archived