• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thunderstorm Question DC/Philly/NYC

RevWarReenactor

Not sure if this amateur question belongs here or in the general thread......

With snow, obviously certain areas get more than others.

I was wondering if this was also true with thunderstorms/severe weather?

For example, central NJ has been getting killed with severe weather this summer, yet down here in APG Maryland, we haven't had much. Although I notice that the thunderstorms that we have had, seem more severe.

Can a MET tell me if one area is more likely to get storms over another? What factors go into this? I have always heard that the ocean kills storms a long the coast......does the chesapeake bay enhance storms, tear apart storms, or have no effect? Any other geographical factors enhance severe weather?

I am speaking mostly about areas from DC to NYC.

Obviously the "setup" (just like snow) has a lot to do with who sees storms and who doesn't and I know sometimes it's the luck of the draw. But is one area favored to get more storms over another?

Thunderstoms, being much more locally-based than snow storms in a general sense, are much more difficult to apply any sort of correlation to. Off the top of my head, I think all three of the cities you mentioned have similar amounts (see: statistically negligible in most cases) of thunderstorm days each year.

Also, I found this after googling "average amount of thunderstorm days" http://eo.ucar.edu/webweather/thunder.html

Thunderstoms, being much more locally-based than snow storms in a general sense, are much more difficult to apply any sort of correlation to. Off the top of my head, I think all three of the cities you mentioned have similar amounts (see: statistically negligible in most cases) of thunderstorm days each year.

Also, I found this after googling "average amount of thunderstorm days" http://eo.ucar.edu/w...er/thunder.html

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Archived