Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
LES event 12/5-12/7 Ohio

janetjanet998

Here are some pics of the snow (or lack thereof) on the west side:

Leaving work, windswept downtown:

5239139775_276bf68c47_z.jpg

Our street. Not much at all, the last leaves actually just fell last week, with one tree in our neighbor's front yard still yellow!

5239737588_4e8b97c3be_z.jpg

Downtown as viewed from Lake Erie, (I actually stepped in the water to take this!)

5239740464_d4c3cd158e_z.jpg

That is what the ground looks like here. Difference is I am on the north side of Columbus and mine came from lake michigan!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This event was largely a bust for anyone near the lakeshore. Good call Trent. I truly am surprised given the lake/air differential. I still think there is potential later tonight as the bands across N MI have intensified greatly from earlier today. Hopefully that can translate southward. Just can't get good LES with such a limited fetch and strong winds unless you are way inland.

Yep, This was a way inland event. When places like Kent and Fairlawn and Medina get over 20" of LES, you know coastal places will do crap. How much do you think is on the ground in Lyndhurst? I can't imagine more than 6-8" on the ground there.

Yep, This was a way inland event. When places like Kent and Fairlawn and Medina get over 20" of LES, you know coastal places will do crap. How much do you think is on the ground in Lyndhurst? I can't imagine more than 6-8" on the ground there.

Nice pic of downtown and the lake btw... there has to be some serious erosion going on.

I got home late last night... looked the snow has settled to 5 or 6 inches. Who knows how much actually fell with the strong winds blowing it around.

The snow is ripping in Chagrin right now. There's probably 8-10 out here. Looks like we are going to get one last flare up before the event dies out.

Not sure how next weeks LES will pan out. If the flow can come around more northerly we will benefit from a Lake huron fetch... so even though the winds will be strong there will be enough upstream conditioning to provide the lakeshore areas with snow. If the winds are similar to this event... wash rinse repeat.

Nice pic of downtown and the lake btw... there has to be some serious erosion going on.

I got home late last night... looked the snow has settled to 5 or 6 inches. Who knows how much actually fell with the strong winds blowing it around.

The snow is ripping in Chagrin right now. There's probably 8-10 out here. Looks like we are going to get one last flare up before the event dies out.

Not sure how next weeks LES will pan out. If the flow can come around more northerly we will benefit from a Lake huron fetch... so even though the winds will be strong there will be enough upstream conditioning to provide the lakeshore areas with snow. If the winds are similar to this event... wash rinse repeat.

As I said earlier in this thread, Cuyahoga needs to broken into inland and coastal like Ashtabula. Even more sad is that the point forecast for my area consistently had 2-4" each period since Sunday. It hasn't accumulated any since Sunday night. With CLE its really hard to figure out your forecast. Im eager for Sunday. Perhaps we can get a good 6-8" synoptic storm with enhancement.

It is coming down hard this morning. We had only 1" in Chagrin Falls overnight, but moderate snow since about 7 a.m. and the roads aren't in good shape.

post-2513-0-90766000-1291816111.jpg

Roads up near my place just south of CF itself were okay, not great. The only time I've ever seen truly horrible roads was the March 2008 blizzard, I think the Geauga county plowers just threw their hands up in the air with that event.

At about 9:15 AM, the wind speed dropped and the wind backed, the temperature dropped 5 degrees and for the first time we have real snow in Lakewood.

Makes you wonder how much snow could have fallen if it weren't for the strong winds the past few days!

We have had moderate snow at about 1"/hr here in Chagrin Falls since 7 a.m., and it doesn't seem to be letting up anytime soon.

Yeah, Chagrin Falls has been getting hit pretty good all morning.

Parts of cuyahoga county are seeing their heaviest snowfall from the event and CLE cancelled the advisory. Looking upstream, I find it hard to believe the snow is going to lighten up anytime soon. Winds have backed more westerly allowing for a L MI connection.

Last minute snow rally some locations that have missed out so far.

Yeah, Chagrin Falls has been getting hit pretty good all morning.

Parts of cuyahoga county are seeing their heaviest snowfall from the event and CLE cancelled the advisory. Looking upstream, I find it hard to believe the snow is going to lighten up anytime soon. Winds have backed more westerly allowing for a L MI connection.

Last minute snow rally some locations that have missed out so far.

Truly is hilarious. We were under a warning for days with no snow. Warning was cancelled and now an east west band is developing..

Truly is hilarious. We were under a warning for days with no snow. Warning was cancelled and now an east west band is developing..

Winds have back enough so that we are now getting a fetch from the entire length of the western basin... adding roughly 50 miles of water to the mix. The band is clearly intensifying. Downtown and point east are looking great if the band can maintain strength.

1/4 mile visibs at Burke Lakefront now. Looks like my location at home is getting hammered. Hopefully this continues for a while. This area deserves it for once!

1 - 2 to maybe 3 inch per hour snowfall rates now. That band looks healthy, and rather stagnant. Going to be a fun afternoon if that band stays put. According to bufkit... winds are not forecast to change until late tonight.

Told you your area would get snow eventually. :lol:

Easily 6 inches here so far today.

Looking at the satellite, there is a trough settling southward. Not sure what impact this will have on the wind direction... perhaps a shift more northwesterly behind it. Enjoy the band while it lasts... looks like several more hours.

It'sbeen going moderate to strong all day here in Beachwood. Nearly every day of the last week has delivered snow but today is the strongest and most furious by far.

It'sbeen going moderate to strong all day here in Beachwood. Nearly every day of the last week has delivered snow but today is the strongest and most furious by far.

The band has been snaking its way from downtown out 422. Looks like MBY has been on the north side of the band today. It will be interesting to see the difference in snowfall. I'm a few miles north of beachwood... but they always get more snow... that area is a magnet for heavy snow.

Looks like the band is starting to flatten out and sink toward the lakeshore. Trent's BY has been ground zero today.

Might be frustrating when I get home... looks like my area has been sitting on the northern fringe of the band all day.... by just a few miles. Still pounding in Chagrin. Snow should continue until after midnight. Hopefully the firehouse band can stay together... and push north into MBY :whistle:

Looks like the band is starting to flatten out and sink toward the lakeshore. Trent's BY has been ground zero today.

Might be frustrating when I get home... looks like my area has been sitting on the northern fringe of the band all day.... by just a few miles. Still pounding in Chagrin. Snow should continue until after midnight. Hopefully the firehouse band can stay together... and push north into MBY :whistle:

Downtown is a mess! The band should swing over my house again. It will take forever to get home. This forecasts not even forecast! The obs from Burke are amazing.

Snowfall totals from 12/5-12/7:

YNG 18.2

CAK 6.6

ERI 4.5

CLE 2.9

MFD 2.5

TOL 0.2

Judging by the obs, it looks like YNG should come in with another 3" or so today, so that should push storm totals over 21 inches. Is that some kind of record? At least for lake effect?

Archived