• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
large dewpoint drop

It occurred at about 6pm local time, when a much drier land breeze from the east replaced a sea breeze coming from the Persian Gulf to its west. Ironically, although Dubai is on the eastern side of the Arabian Penisula, it's also on the western side of a penisula jutting out into the Persian Gulf with the Persian Gulf lying to the west and north of the city and the airport where its weather station is, and with the land based portion of this peninsula lying to it's east.

It's interesting that with this substantial drop in RH at that time was also a 7 degree rise in temp.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&biw=1259&bih=848&safe=active&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=dubai+international+airport&fb=1&gl=us&hq=dubai+international+airport&hnear=dubai+international+airport&iwloc=lyrftr:transit,0x3e5f5da74c200393:0xa804f3095f87c7dc&ei=RuYhTrbvNcPLgQeNxdXBDQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=transit-link&resnum=1&ved=0CDkQsQUwAA

It occurred at about 6pm local time, when a much drier land breeze from the east replaced a sea breeze coming from the Persian Gulf to its west. Ironically, although Dubai is on the eastern side of the Arabian Penisula, it's also on the western side of a penisula jutting out into the Persian Gulf with the Persian Gulf lying to the west and north of the city and the airport where its weather station is, and with the land based portion of this peninsula lying to it's east.

It's interesting that with this substantial drop in RH at that time was also a 7 degree rise in temp.

http://maps.google.c...ved=0CDkQsQUwAA

Sounds reasonable to me Diego. Drier air would heat up easier given the lack of water and thus lower heat capacity. Very impressive regardless. Its often warmer behind (on the dry side) of the dryline.

Sounds reasonable to me Diego. Drier air would heat up easier given the lack of water and thus lower heat capacity. Very impressive regardless. Its often warmer behind (on the dry side) of the dryline.

I agree. My only question was why air of less density at that time of the day would replace air of slightly greater density (cooler with more humidity) that was overlying the airport and the city? My initial thinking was that this was simply a landbreeze replacing a seabreeze, but perhaps there's a synoptic explanation for it.

Archived