• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
OUR Infamous SE Lawn Thread

DaculaWeather

OK, a few months ago I started reading the NE "Infamous Lawn Thread" and started listening to their talk about their great lawns... and I thought that people in the south HAD to have some nice if not nicer lawns so I figured I'd start one for the southeast.

Here was their opening post:

-------------------------------------------

Well this makes me both sad and happy at the same time.

Once the lawn thread starts it means winter is officially over and that i have thrown in the towel on any significant winter wx.

On the other hand..i do look forward to getting out there, and giving the lawn a solid raking, aeration, and dethatch every spring. Reseeding some thin spots....throwing down the first application of the nectar of the Gods Lesco fertilizer to jump things in mid April. Dropping lime pellets in late March.

Time to tune up your lawnmowers, pick up all the debris off the lawns that's been buried under 2.5 months straight of deep snowcover..Sticks, limbs, twigs, whole trees, dead animals, acorns...you name it..it's all gotta be cleaned up.

So sharpen those blades, shine those weed whackers, uncoil those garden hoses, get the rakes out of the ssheds,, and stow away the sleds ,shovels, and snowblowers..

It's a new season...and i want to see as many pictures of folks' lawns as possibloe in here.

Set up those chipmunk death barrels,, take control of your lawns.

Soon it will be time for heavy heavy mowing

--------------------------------------------------------------

So let's see those pictures, good or bad! Here's my front right now

snapshot.jpg

I have to say my lawn is looking the best it has in years.My husband and I did a little reseeding in some of the bare ptches we had.As a matter of fact my neighbor told me a couple of weeks ago that we had the best lawn on the street and he hated us for that..lol..I told him he happened to have the best view from his front porch,but once you got in it it's not so awesome.I don't have many pictures of the lawn,but I do have a few of our plants and flowers which is part of the landscaping IMO.My husband has since gone on a planting frenzy including sunflowers which are now starting to open up.

post-429-0-05236500-1308352370.jpg

post-429-0-32246900-1308352446.jpg

My grass exists just to keep the dirt from washing downhill. In fact it is 40% weeds. And since i am allergic to fescue I try to kill that crap off.

HAHA!! Seems that's the shape alot of us are in seeing that there's been a drought. If I put that weed killer or crab grass killer on my lawn, there would be nothing left!:lmao: As long as its green...it stays...weed or grass. Got some pretty shrubs and azaleas though.

Dacula, you have a lawn....I have a 2.3 acre yard.

My grass exists just to keep the dirt from washing downhill. In fact it is 40% weeds. And since i am allergic to fescue I try to kill that crap off.

Weeds look nice when kept cut. My lawn exists in the way mom nature wants it to look. Burnt out now, even the weeds. I have not cut in 4 weeks. Unheard of this time of year IMBY.

The yard has looked better, we're experiencing an extreme drought down here in Cataula Georgia with exceptional drought encroaching rapidly. The only green at this time is from the septic field.

Storms_No+Rain+009.jpg

This one shows where the septic tank is, located about a foot under the dirt.

June+5+2011_Dry+Yard_lake+012.JPG

The yard has looked better, we're experiencing an extreme drought down here in Cataula Georgia with exceptional drought encroaching rapidly. The only green at this time is from the septic field.

Funny, we use to grow tomatoes on the septic line at the house growing up. They were prodigious producers. I counted 75 tomatoes on a single plant one time.

Japanese beetles are attacking my roses. Any suggestions to get rid of them? It's not a big problem just yet but will probably just get worse.

I haven't seen any here yet, normally they eat my crepes and a rose of sharon. I usually buy a couple of the Japanese Beetle traps at Walmart and put those out....works like a charm. They flock to it, instead of your flowers. I didn't see any beetles last Summer though, and that was the first time I remember not seeing any. The previous year they were terrible and swarmed. Not sure why they disappeared like that for an entire Summer, but I won't mind them being gone again either.

Speaking of lawns, I didn't plant seed so all I have is the usual mix of some fescue and a lot of weeds..but they are really green weeds! This is the best my entire part of the county has looked sine June 2005. I still have trouble adjusting to how lush and thick the leaves are in this part of the county. Every time I drive lately I just recall how this just doesn't look right at all...its been that many years since we've had lush green growth. Last summer I took a few trips in June, to Hickory and Statesville and near Marion..just to see greenery. Was truly depressing to get back at my driveway and inhale a plume of dusty powder from my wheels on the gravel driveway. Not this year! (atleast not yet!) A complete 180 degree turnaround.

I haven't seen any here yet, normally they eat my crepes and a rose of sharon. I usually buy a couple of the Japanese Beetle traps at Walmart and put those out....works like a charm. They flock to it, instead of your flowers. I didn't see any beetles last Summer though, and that was the first time I remember not seeing any. The previous year they were terrible and swarmed. Not sure why they disappeared like that for an entire Summer, but I won't mind them being gone again either.

Speaking of lawns, I didn't plant seed so all I have is the usual mix of some fescue and a lot of weeds..but they are really green weeds! This is the best my entire part of the county has looked sine June 2005. I still have trouble adjusting to how lush and thick the leaves are in this part of the county. Every time I drive lately I just recall how this just doesn't look right at all...its been that many years since we've had lush green growth. Last summer I took a few trips in June, to Hickory and Statesville and near Marion..just to see greenery. Was truly depressing to get back at my driveway and inhale a plume of dusty powder from my wheels on the gravel driveway. Not this year! (atleast not yet!) A complete 180 degree turnaround.

Spray beetles with cross chek insecticide on trees and shrubs. Have to look at label for roses. There are several insecticides we use but cross chek and orthene are the most inexpensive.

Japanese beetles are attacking my roses. Any suggestions to get rid of them? It's not a big problem just yet but will probably just get worse.

Use orthene on roses. I just looked and it is labeled for it. Trust me wear a respirator it stinks really bad and is not health to breathe when applying. Smell will be gone in a couple of days

We normally see them in July in our area

We normally see them in July in our area

wouldn't it be easier to just use the traps for the beetles? They're only about $5.00 versus the sprays. Anyway, I'm waiting for the bugs arrival. Tons of every kind of stinging insect and every thing else swarming around, so this is definitely an old fashioned Summer here. Didn't have that problem the last few Summers. Moisture makes a HUGE difference.

Funny, we use to grow tomatoes on the septic line at the house growing up. They were prodigious producers. I counted 75 tomatoes on a single plant one time.

I never thought of that, will have to give it a try. Some may say, oooo thats nasty water! I say it cant be any worse than what is used in mass production, and the chemicals sprayed.

Problem around here is keeping the deer and other critters away from anything we grow. They're not even frighted by the dogs anymore.

The lousy J beetles have been here a week, showed up a week or so early. In the early am I catch them to feed to a robin I am raising, after it is gone the big guns come out.

I have found that the traps just draw them to my area, have not used for several years. We have a lot of blackberry bushes near here, they love them.

Storms_No+Rain+009.jpg

This one shows where the septic tank is, located about a foot under the dirt.

June+5+2011_Dry+Yard_lake+012.JPG

Doggie is too cute! yep....my septic tank does the same thing...we got lines of tall green grass that far outshoots the other grass where the septic lines are....My yard would look so wierd with tomato plants in a line in the middle of the front yard :lmao: Hubby planted his garden in the back and the rabbits have gotten whatever the heat/drought hasn't....He's flat tore up because the rattlesnake beans are being quickly eaten....and these rabbits are brave...the garden is next to my German Shepherd's fence.

The only positive thing is I do not have to spend $8 to mow the grass once a week

I second that. It's been awful here the past three weeks. It's so frustrating watching the radar these days. I believe i have had right around .32 for the month of June so far.

My sunflowers and Morning glories are getting decimated. I think this might be the culprit,. Is this a Japanese Beetle?

No the Japanese beetle has green on it. Those in your pic are called June beetle I think, but are not Jap. beetle. That bug is common right now and flying around my yard daily, and a few come inside when you open the door and just stick to curtains until they die and fall off. I wonder if the Japanese beetle traps will work for them also though? I never really noticed. So far, still no Jap. beetles here.

post-38-0-42649200-1308921860.jpg

No the Japanese beetle has green on it. Those in your pic are called June beetle I think, but are not Jap. beetle. That bug is common right now and flying around my yard daily, and a few come inside when you open the door and just stick to curtains until they die and fall off. I wonder if the Japanese beetle traps will work for them also though? I never really noticed. So far, still no Jap. beetles here.

post-38-0-42649200-1308921860.jpg

Thanks Robert! I think you are correct on June Beetles.

Archived