• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NAM Upgrade Graphics

Its open to anyone... You just have to join the right email list to get the number. Not going to say which list because they have very limited spaces and they prefer that it be only people who handle raw model data on a regular basis.

So how did you get on the eval list? Are you evaluating the parallel models and providing feedback or did you just find your way to the list?

Combination of both... While I'm not currently evaluating parallel models, I do plan to add para maps on a far-future date.

Aah... Are you a Met? I think the desire is to get eval from Met companies, NWS WFO's, NCEP centers, etc. Professional folks who use the models to forecast on a daily basis who can provide feedback on the para model's science compared to the op model.

Aah... Are you a Met? I think the desire is to get eval from Met companies, NWS WFO's, NCEP centers, etc. Professional folks who use the models to forecast on a daily basis who can provide feedback on the para model's science compared to the op model.

No I am not a met, though I do know GrADS and models inside and out, because I own a map site that is extremely performance-optimized. I listened in on the conference call partially because I will hopefully be adding NAM maps to my site within a couple of weeks, and it's always good if I know something about where I'm getting my info from lol.

Can I have a link to the place I can find that info? I didn't get an email about it this time.

I don't think anything is official (other than the delay). There was a closed door meeting on Friday afternoon with folks from the director's office, EMC, and NCO. I'm sure there will be an updated TIN/email sent out sometime soon.

And to answer BI's questions....the delay (and what was a potential cancellation) is because of feedback received from the service centers (particularly SPC, HPC, and AWC).

I don't think anything is official (other than the delay). There was a closed door meeting on Friday afternoon with folks from the director's office, EMC, and NCO. I'm sure there will be an updated TIN/email sent out sometime soon.

And to answer BI's questions....the delay (and what was a potential cancellation) is because of feedback received from the service centers (particularly SPC, HPC, and AWC).

Whoa wow, they were going to cancel the upgrade completely?

Whoa wow, they were going to cancel the upgrade completely?

I'm not part of that group (so I wasn't privy to the entire discussion), but it's my understanding that was at least a possibility. From what I gather, the implementation will go as planned although not until sometime in October (similar to the information you heard/provided).

Oct. 18th is the word around here.

Yes, but with fixes to the problems that were identified during evaluation...the NAM nest and vertical velocity issues.

Thanks for the info. I am not a modeling expert, but I am not terribly convinced the issues noted above will be fixed within that time period. I wonder how many more postponements we will have...

Hopefully the issues can be fixed before winter season.

Thanks for the info. I am not a modeling expert, but I am not terribly convinced the issues noted above will be fixed within that time period. I wonder how many more postponements we will have...

Hopefully the issues can be fixed before winter season.

Update/Edit: It turns out that the vertical velocity issue was related to an output problem for the vertical velocity fields (and not necessarily something within the model itself). It looks like things should go in as planned on Oct. 18 now.

• 3 weeks later...

Update/Edit: It turns out that the vertical velocity issue was related to an output problem for the vertical velocity fields (and not necessarily something within the model itself). It looks like things should go in as planned on Oct. 18 now.

Well that makes a lot more sense, I was thinking it would take a lot more time to fix something intrinsic to the model itself such as VV fields.

I am excited to finally dump the old NAM once and for all.

Did the NAM upgrade go in this morning or did it get delayed again? Model upgrades are usually noted in NCEP/NWS status messages. However, I see no such message for the NAM upgrade.

Archived