• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
MAY 31st/JUNE 1st 1985 Severe Thunderstorm outbreak

CAT5ANDREW

Everyone knows what happened out in Eastern OHIO and PA and SOuthern Ontario with the massive tornado outbreak but what are your memories for our area?

A Strobe light like lightning display with unbroken thunder and torrential rains shortly after midnight on JUNE 1st that year made it one of the most intense nighttime thunderstorms I have ever experienced here in Queens County.THe storms lost little strength as they reached the coast which is rare considering the squall line started out so far to the west.

I drove up to Wild Acres Pa. that night listening to the Yankee game on am radio...The static was unbelievable and the lightning to the west looked like a fireworks show...As soon as I got to the house all hell broke loose...It started to hail with strong winds...The hail was hitting the front window and the power went out...I was sure the window would break and my car would dent...The next morning I was surprised to find no damage to my car or house but the trees were stripped of their foliage...It looked like the dead of winter on my block...Some hail was still on the ground around my house at Sunrise...

Archived