• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NY Capital Region Autumn Obs/Discussion

Judging by the activity in this subforum I may be the only one in this thread until late fall...but oh well. Working in Albany during the week right now...moving up permanently in a couple months.

Dreary week...although made it near 70 today. Better weather on the horizon for next week. Looking forward to some warm season convection.

Nice to see the sun breaking out across the region today. And severe thunderstorm watch up now for SW portion of the region through this evening. Pretty marginal setup though.

It's getting kind of summery out there and I thought it was warmer than the 72F I read on the thermometer.

With the sunshine (I'm pretty sure that's what it is) and moisture, the pot is ready to bubble -- not sure if it will boil over. To the SW in PA, radar is definitely cooking.

It's getting kind of summery out there and I thought it was warmer than the 72F I read on the thermometer.

With the sunshine (I'm pretty sure that's what it is) and moisture, the pot is ready to bubble -- not sure if it will boil over. To the SW in PA, radar is definitely cooking.

yeah with the best forcing still back down in PA...looks like we would've needed a few more degrees and a bit more sun to get anything widespread popping up. just a few tiny pulse cells popping up here and there...but nothing to get excited about.

• 2 weeks later...

Decent looking cell around Amsterdam, NY now. Nothing here yet.

guess I missed some action last Thursday night after I had already headed back to CT.

Another chance for some action today...severe ts watch up until 5pm for the area. Stuff starting to fire back in western NY now. couple hours of full sun should help destabalize things.

Storms around most of yesterday afternoon/evening...good number of hail reports and lots of lightning. Looks like another active afternoon on tap...SPC going to be upgrading area to moderate risk...watch is already up highlighting the possibility of wind gusts to 85mph and 2.5" hail. Radar lighting up to the west.

The line came through this area yesterday with a whimper.... just luck of the draw as to who gets a heavier cell. Lots of clouds today, but a very pleasant 71F out there.

sweet. there was some impressive hail size the past two days...several reports of 1.5"+. I missed some on Friday by a meer 0.5 mile...supposedly quarter size. I've never seen anything larger than pea to marble size myself. one of these days...

The line came through this area yesterday with a whimper.... just luck of the draw as to who gets a heavier cell. Lots of clouds today, but a very pleasant 71F out there.

Micro burst nailed my neighborhood yesterday afternoon knocking tall pines through peoples roofs. It got so dark and loud they ran to their basements thinking a tornado was occurring.

• 1 month later...

We hit 85.8 out here ...and 71 now at 12:40 AM. It wasn't fun, but also not unbearable heat. Sadly I have to go into ALB on Tuesday so maybe I get to experience 90.

Today was the most uncomfortable day of the summer so far with dews around 70. Was today ALB's first 90 of the year? Today was the first day this summer where I was reminded of the couple summers I spent in NC. I really dont mind as long as I have some a/c to escape into. Still around 80 at midnight.

Well the CD looks like it will get roasted some Sunday & Monday thanks to downslope flow off of the as Cap likes to say " the Heldeberg escarpment". I like to call it the Thatcher Park flow. Anyway whatever you call it its going to be 90 + Sunday and Monday in the CD.

Monday could/should also be a very active day convectively..again past experience and observation when GFS is the more convectively favorable model you better pay attention. The NAM isn't but then again the NAM has left a lot to be desired over the past few weeks.

Now for the end of next week still see a prolonged period of 3H weather especially Thursday thru probably next weekend. L-M 90s this period.

So far this late Spring and Summer, the climatological history has been: 1) models have been too fast with cold (and to a lesser extent warm) fropas. 2) The cold fronts have been fragmented in nature, i.e., actually more like multi-fronts or 2ndary type (even tertiary like earlier this past week was).

Well the CD looks like it will get roasted some Sunday & Monday thanks to downslope flow off of the as Cap likes to say " the Heldeberg escarpment". I like to call it the Thatcher Park flow. Anyway whatever you call it its going to be 90 + Sunday and Monday in the CD.

Monday could/should also be a very active day convectively..again past experience and observation when GFS is the more convectively favorable model you better pay attention. The NAM isn't but then again the NAM has left a lot to be desired over the past few weeks.

Now for the end of next week still see a prolonged period of 3H weather especially Thursday thru probably next weekend. L-M 90s this period.

So far this late Spring and Summer, the climatological history has been: 1) models have been too fast with cold (and to a lesser extent warm) fropas. 2) The cold fronts have been fragmented in nature, i.e., actually more like multi-fronts or 2ndary type (even tertiary like earlier this past week was).

Hitting 90 Monday looks like it'll be dependent on cloud cover and timing of convection. Curious it we can get 90+ for 3 straight days at the end if the week. Looks like some severe possible tomorrow as well.

Hitting 90 Monday looks like it'll be dependent on cloud cover and timing of convection. Curious it we can get 90+ for 3 straight days at the end if the week. Looks like some severe possible tomorrow as well.

MCS cloud debris so often screws up significant heat this area. You may be right about tomorrow and again week's end hot spell too it all depends on what if any MCS' directly or indirectly impact the NEUS, E'rn NYS in particular.

87.6F here at 2:35 PM, but with the stiff breeze and the low Tds it isn't that harsh....bad enough, but I should be able to turn off the a/c overnight tonight if these dew points stay low.

98/72 sun.gif

still looking like today is the hottest around here. should get a bit of a northerly component to the wind tomorrow which should hold us a few degrees "cooler". Will be interesting to see how low we get tonight...I'm expecting to still be in the 80's when I head to bed tonight around 11.

Archived