• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Running Gibson-Ridge products on a Mac

Hey all,

It's time to switch to a lap top for college. I've fallen in love with GR3 (and am even considering investing in GRAE) but, at the same time, I've come to hate Windows. Thank Vista for that.

Anyway, I've heard I wouldn't be able to run GR products on a mac? Or that I could if I load Windows on to a mac? What's the real deal? If you're nice enough to help me, remember to speak slowly and use small words as this would be my first foray into the Macbook world if I choose to buy such a product.

Hey all,

It's time to switch to a lap top for college. I've fallen in love with GR3 (and am even considering investing in GRAE) but, at the same time, I've come to hate Windows. Thank Vista for that.

Anyway, I've heard I wouldn't be able to run GR products on a mac? Or that I could if I load Windows on to a mac? What's the real deal? If you're nice enough to help me, remember to speak slowly and use small words as this would be my first foray into the Macbook world if I choose to buy such a product.

vista sucks....7 is worlds better trust me and every new laptop comes with 7 now. My roommate has a macbook pro and has windows loaded onto his mac as a second operating system and is able to run gr products. but to do this, you have to buy windows and install it(extra money). but just my opinion, you could have a loaded PC(pretty much better everything than the macbook pro) for the same amount of money as a macbook pro. hope this helps.

vista sucks....7 is worlds better trust me and every new laptop comes with 7 now. My roommate has a macbook pro and has windows loaded onto his mac as a second operating system and is able to run gr products. but to do this, you have to buy windows and install it(extra money). but just my opinion, you could have a loaded PC(pretty much better everything than the macbook pro) for the same amount of money as a macbook pro. hope this helps.

All of this, plus if you decided to get more weather/radar software down the road it's much better supported on Windows machines.

I'm also on the anti-Vista bandwagon, but Windows 7 has more than reclaimed my dependancy and tolerance of Windows products. But to go along with what others are saying, it's best to stick with Microsoft and obtain Windows 7 through your University which more than likely is offered to purchase with a huge discount for students through licensing agreements. I obtained Windows 7 through my University for under 10$! At the very least, it's worth it to try Windows 7, especially considering your position as a student and the software cost reduction which comes with the terrirory. I checked Valparaiso for you, and under their top ten questions on technology found here http://www.valpo.edu...ive/top_ten.php is one in regard to discounted software. I'm almost certain you'll be able to buy Windows 7 for dirt cheap in comparison to retail. At the very least, it's worth it to try before committing entirely to a Mac in cost and having to set up a dual boot configuration.

Try using the program Wine. Mostly linux users use it, but its for mac also. It lets you use windows programs. However, its hit and miss with it. Its worth a try.

I second this. Where it works, it serves as a better solution than creating a Windows partition.

Archived