• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Best Introductory Meteorology Texts

I remember a topic like this at Eastern but not yet here so: What are the best texts and resources that an individual with a basic science and math background could understand? Feel free to post more advanced texts if you would like.

Here are some that I have come across:

1. Meteorology Today (Ahrens)
  2. Understanding Weather and Climate (Aguado)
  3. The Atmosphere: An Introduction to Meteorology (Lutgens)
  4. Meteorology: Understanding the Atmosphere (Ackerman)

Which of these are the best?

More advanced resources:

1. Tim Vasquez (Weather Map Handbook)
  2. MetED

I have Ahrens and it's decent. The gold standard meteorology text for undergrads, but one that is still used by graduate students and PhDs alike (I still frequently refer to mine) is Holton's An Introduction to Dynamic Meteorology. It is calculus-based, so probably not what you're looking for here, but it's a must have for people in the field.

I have Ahrens and it's decent. The gold standard meteorology text for undergrads, but one that is still used by graduate students and PhDs alike (I still frequently refer to mine) is Holton's An Introduction to Dynamic Meteorology. It is calculus-based, so probably not what you're looking for here, but it's a must have for people in the field.

Yup, I have a copy on my desk, too. If you understand Calc 2 and 3, it's THE must have book.

Archived