Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fireball seen over Southeastern NC

eyewall

http://www.wect.com/Global/story.asp?S=14302090

Posted by Meteorologist Robb Ellis - bio | email | facebook

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - What appears to have been a meteorite was witnessed by quite a few people in southeastern North Carolina on Tuesday evening.

Reports starting coming in just after 7:30pm of a "fire in the sky." Many people described the meteorite as a fireball and lasted only a few seconds.

Residents from Pender, Brunswick and New Hanover Counties reported seeing the object to the north and east, traveling north with a glowing fiery tail.

A meteorite is a piece of rock or debris from space that burns up as it enters Earth's atmosphere. Objects moving at many thousands of miles per hour create friction with the atmosphere as they enter. Most burn up with a glowing or fiery trail.

If you have pictures of the event, please email them to [email protected]

Very interesting.I remember the first time I saw one.I actually thought that someone was shooting off fireworks.Hope to see a picture of it.

I just saw a picture and link someone posted at FB. Its an amazing shot. To be honest looks like an explosion of an aircraft in flight, with a long fireball trail, similar to special effects you see in movies. I'm sure someone will post the pic soon.

I think ive seen two in my lifetime...i remember one lasted quite a while. quite the site

Yeah that was the only time I saw one.When I fiqured out what it was my brain when on overload thinking about the earths atmosohere just like when I saw a comet for the first time.I wondered why it didn't move across the sky like I imagined..weird.

Archived