Toothache
D.C. cherry blossom peak dates announced

Ian

Yesterday:

post-86-0-68063600-1301127682.jpg

post-86-0-93474900-1301133892.jpg

More here:

http://twitpic.com/4deoj1

Not in full bloom yet, but close. Some trees are full bloom, some still have time yet. There are a ton of factors like sunlight, moisture, age, foot traffic & more. I have no idea what, if any impact the snow will have...although it seems like it'll be light (if at all), so I'm gonna GUESS no impact. I ran down early (Sun was my scheduled first day) because I wanted something on a day I know would be sunny.

Very, very nice!!!

The snow is going to pwn the cherry blossoms.:(

i dont think so. the basin acts as a bit of an insulator with warmer water. we need extended temps in the mid-20s or so to really damage the blossoms. cold weather is better than warm probably.

nice shots jason. i may force myself up early tomorrow if it snows.. not a common shot to get.

Yesterday:

post-86-0-68063600-1301127682.jpg

post-86-0-93474900-1301133892.jpg

More here:

http://twitpic.com/4deoj1

Not in full bloom yet, but close. Some trees are full bloom, some still have time yet. There are a ton of factors like sunlight, moisture, age, foot traffic & more. I have no idea what, if any impact the snow will have...although it seems like it'll be light (if at all), so I'm gonna GUESS no impact. I ran down early (Sun was my scheduled first day) because I wanted something on a day I know would be sunny.

wow, nice pics!

Amazing how much earlier DC blooms.

I am....the video is especially nice...especially since it's a step up from the SD camera. I need to upgrade the PC still though...struggling processing that, and man...I've almost eaten up 500gb of HDD space in about 5 weeks. OUCH.

I forgot Ian...what are you shooting with?

Get CWG/WP to buy you a new one...or up your prices for your photos. As much as you give them...should have the revenue.

I am....the video is especially nice...especially since it's a step up from the SD camera. I need to upgrade the PC still though...struggling processing that, and man...I've almost eaten up 500gb of HDD space in about 5 weeks. OUCH.

I forgot Ian...what are you shooting with?

Get CWG to buy you a new one...or up your prices for your photos. As much as you give them...should have the revenue.

Canon 40D.. it takes fine shots especially for Web, but I've had it over 3 yrs now and also wanting larger print options. I've always used top-end consumer models/low end pro models which do the trick 9.9 out of 10 times with good lenses, yet I've been eying a full frame job for about a year now. I guess I should finally just spend the money rather than putting it off. Part of my problem is that I am not a consistent shooter so I wonder how much it's worth spending a few thousand if I don't go out every day/week with it.

Planning on going this Sunday to visit. Anyone have a current update on the state of the blossoms? Any recommendations on parking near the Tidal Basin vs. taking Metro?

I think they're technically just past peak now, though the period was Marc 29-31 so there should not be a major difference this weekend given the cool weather. I would think parking would be hard to come by during the weekend close by.

I think they're technically just past peak now, though the period was Marc 29-31 so there should not be a major difference this weekend given the cool weather. I would think parking would be hard to come by during the weekend close by.

I see parking lots indicated on the Park Service map, but I wondered if they were fairly tiny (like the National Zoo). Probably will take Metro from College Park area.

All you local folks know about the Kenwood neighborhood, right? I go there every year, in addition to the more sporadic trips down to the tidal basin. Of course it's a much smaller number of total trees, but the density and common age of the trees makes it a more spectacular scene than down at the tidal basin, IMO. I'm going to drop by tomorrow to see if they are going to be near peak soon; they usually lag about a week or a bit more behind the tidal basin.

It was nice out there today! A bit too breezy to feel perfectly comfortable, but the sun was warm. We took your recommendation, WxWarrior and parked on Hains Point. Worked out pretty well. The blossoms definitely looked at/near peak to me. Will try and post a few pics later.

Archived