Newest Member
    EWR757
Florida 2011 Spring & Summer "Wet" Season

toad strangler

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be careful what you wish for.

No doubt ..... I have only been here only 18 months and know enough from talking to all of my co-workers that it is all fun and games unless your own home and family is threatened! With that said, I also look forward to experiencing tropical weather IMBY but am wary about what I look forward too. :unsure:

No doubt ..... I have only been here only 18 months and know enough from talking to all of my co-workers that it is all fun and games unless your own home and family is threatened! With that said, I also look forward to experiencing tropical weather IMBY but am wary about what I look forward too. :unsure:

The best advice is to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

One other thing. Buy a generator. It automatically puts up a storm shield 200 miles around your location. I'm living proof.:P

Since the crazy year of 04 when Charlie, Francis, and Jeanne visited, other then an occasional TS no hurricane has come close.

The best advice is to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

One other thing. Buy a generator. It automatically puts up a storm shield 200 miles around your location. I'm living proof.:P

Since the crazy year of 04 when Charlie, Francis, and Jeanne visited, other then an occasional TS no hurricane has come close.

I agree, buy a generator!!. I am like you, after I got blitzed with 3 hurricanes coming through Polk County in 04; I picked up a generator and like you said ,no storms since then. I also advise people to stock up some on extra canned goods, batteries and non perishable items etc before a storm threatens. The stores become a fricking zoo when a storm is about to threaten an area. People always wait until the last minute and supplies run out and lines are long and tempers are short. I used to work for Publix and I was amazed how many people living down here where so unprepared and waited until the last minute to stock up.

All of you central FL folk have been getting POUNDED all day! Not a drop on the Treasure Coast. :(

Yea, It's been a crazy day here in the Lakeland area. A lot of heavy rain ( and severe weather) today and looking at radar, another band set to come through. Not the typical Florida day today.:lol:

Looks like a nice week-end setting up for Florida. Looks like Tuesday/ Tuesday Night another chance of some action for the North half of Florida is possible.

post-974-0-57707000-1301669504.gif

From the looks of things Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee could see a severe event if things pan out. :twister:

From the looks of things Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee could see a severe event if things pan out. :twister:

Yes, it does. Most of the deep South stands to have some rough weather next week it appears. Could be interesting around here again next week. :mapstorm:

Looks like Tuesdays front is just going to be a rainmaker for us. Severe weather most likely limited to the panhandle.

Yes, it's starting to look that way.. It still looks like things are set-up for T-storms for the North half of the state but like you said, seems like the severe weather will stay mainly North of us.

I see the SPC has a most of North and Central Florida in the Slight risk for severe weather tomorrow.. Interesting..

...FL PENINSULA...

AT 12Z TUESDAY...ONGOING TSTMS...SOME STRONG TO SEVERE...SHOULD BE

AFFECTING PARTS OF NRN FL. SIMILAR TO LOCATIONS FARTHER N...

MIDLEVEL LAPSE RATES WILL BE MODEST. HOWEVER...BETTER AVAILABLE

MOISTURE WITH SWD EXTENT SHOULD SUPPORT GREATER INSTABILITY /MUCAPE

AROUND 1000 J/KG OVER NRN FL TO 1500 J/KG IN S FL/. BULK SHEAR IS

EXPECTED TO BE STRONGEST OVER NRN FL TUESDAY MORNING SUPPORTING

ORGANIZED STORMS PRODUCING DAMAGING WINDS AND A TORNADO THREAT.

FARTHER S...TSTMS WILL DEVELOP AS THE COLD FRONT ENCOUNTERS STRONGER

INSTABILITY. HOWEVER...GUIDANCE SUGGESTS EFFECTIVE BULK SHEAR WILL

WEAKEN THROUGH THE DAY AS THE UPPER TROUGH MOVES NEWD AWAY FROM THIS

REGION. THUS...MULTICELLS WILL BE POSSIBLE WITH AN ATTENDANT THREAT

FOR STRONG WIND GUSTS AND HAIL.

..PETERS.. 04/04/2011

Melbourne forecast office with a heads up on the potential strong to severe storms tomorrow.

On Tuesday...a cold front will sweep down the peninsula with showers and thunderstorms ahead of it. Some storms could be strong to severe with damaging straight line winds...hail...frequent lightning and heavy downpours. Timing for Lake and Volusia counties for developing convection may be late overnight to around daybreak...with showers and storms spreading southeastward into Seminole...north Brevard...Orange and Osceola counties by mid to late morning. Brevard...Indian River...Okeechobee...Saint Lucie and Martin counties can expect the bulk of their precipitation chances early through late afternoon.

A Lake Wind Advisory may be necessary for Tuesday with southwest to westerly winds becoming sustained 15 to 20 mph and gusty.

Mariners over inland lakes...intracoastal waters and near shore waters of the western Atlantic may encounter thunderstorm gusts in excess of 35 knots as well as cloud to water lightning...hail and heavy downpours.

Latest Mesoscale Discussion from SPC.. while it doesn't look like any severe weather for South Florida. It does appear some stronger storms and needed rainfall is heading toward South Florida.

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0368

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1002 AM CDT TUE APR 05 2011

AREAS AFFECTED...SRN FL

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH UNLIKELY

VALID 051502Z - 051700Z

A LINE OF THUNDERSTORMS WILL CONTINUE SEWD ACROSS S FL...WITH A FEW

STRONG AND LOCALLY DAMAGING WIND GUSTS POSSIBLE. HOWEVER...AN

ADDITIONAL WW IS NOT EXPECTED TO BE NEEDED.

AN ORGANIZED LINE OF THUNDERSTORMS WELL AHEAD OF THE PRIMARY COLD

FRONT IS CURRENTLY MOVING SEWD ACROSS CNTRL FL. VAD WIND PROFILES

AHEAD OF THE LINE AS WELL AS MODEL GUIDANCE INDICATE A MARGINAL WIND

SHEAR ENVIRONMENT FOR SEVERE...BUT STRONG HEATING WILL CONTINUE TO

INCREASE SBCAPE AND STEEPEN LOW LEVEL LAPSE RATES. A MODIFIED 12Z

MFL SOUNDING INDICATES ON THE ORDER OF 3000 J/KG SBCAPE...WITH

PRECIPITABLE WATER VALUES AROUND 1.50 INCHES. THUS...WHILE MOST OF

THIS ACTIVITY MAY NOT BE SEVERE...POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR ISOLATED

STRONG/DAMAGING DOWNBURSTS.

Severe Thunderstorm watch for Central Florida until 2 pm..

Had a nice line of T-storms pass through this morning, nothing severe but added a little over a half inch of rain. Any rain we can get in April is very helpful.

The bark was much worse then the bite.

When that line came through the clouds were quite impressive. Some of the darkest and meanest looking clouds I have ever saw. Storm wasn't that great but the .52 in the bucket as you mentioned is good for this time of year.

Rotation north of ft myers? weak albeit.. my dad is in lauderdale by the sea so I'm curious to see how much these babies fire up this aftn

I also see a special marine warning for the line as it approaches Ft Meyers and a severe t-storm warning for the east coast.

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EDT FOR

INDIAN RIVER...NORTHERN ST. LUCIE AND OKEECHOBEE COUNTIES...

AT 1130 AM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS CONTINUED TO

DETECT A LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING DAMAGING

WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THESE STORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE

EXTENDING FROM 6 MILES EAST OF DISNEYS VERO BEACH RESORT TO 8 MILES

SOUTHWEST OF PARADISE PARK TO 19 MILES SOUTHWEST OF

BASINGER...MOVING EAST AT 30 TO 35 MPH.

There is a line out in the Gulf-stream ahead of the main line. Just about all those cells are showing rotation. Good thing they formed off shore.

I was just about to post about that. I did a double take looking at the radar. Like you said good thing they are offshore.

Waterspout blew about 100 feet in front of me on Virginia Key. :weight_lift:

Almost no condensation funnel at all, but the rotation was evident in the clouds and at the surface. A few palms near the shore lost their leaves and a beach umbrella went airborn, but thats about it.

Hey, that still must have been pretty cool to see. I have never seen a waterspout or tornado and I have been looking for awhile.:twister:

Archived