• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Florida 2011 Spring & Summer "Wet" Season

toad strangler

Historically for my exact location on the Treasure Coast the much anticipated wet season (steady dew points of 70 or higher) starts on or about May 25 and ends on or about October 17. This does not count any tropical activity!

Since 2000 this date for my area has started and ended as follows:

2000 - 6/6 - 10/19

2001 - 5/22 - 10/26

2002 - 5/30 - 10/16

2003 - 5/22 - 10/15

2004 - 6/1 - 10/14

2005 - 5/25 - 10/15

2006 - 6/1 - 9/28

2007 - 6/11 - 11/3

2008 - 5/19 - 10/15

2009 - 5/18 - 9/30

2010 - 5/25 - 9/30

That is pretty consistent with a spread of less than 3 weeks at the start. The end is a bit more scattered about.

DISCUSS your area and the anticipation of great daily storms that are just over 3 months away!

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately my weather software, Weatherlink doesn't break it down by date. I can see it in graph form but not in text.

Going back to 03 my location just SE of Ocala it roughly starts the 2nd week in June and runs till mid to late September.

Probably a little early to start talking about the rainy season but it's nice to dream.

The squall line a couple weeks ago was a nice reminder of what is to come.

Unfortunately my weather software, Weatherlink doesn't break it down by date. I can see it in graph form but not in text.

Going back to 03 my location just SE of Ocala it roughly starts the 2nd week in June and runs till mid to late September.

Probably a little early to start talking about the rainy season but it's nice to dream.

Yea, it is nice to dream and it appears we have a really long stretch of dry weather ahead before the rainy pattern and good t-storms kick in. Maybe we will get lucky and get a good gulf storm before then

The NWS has data for my area and many others going back into the 1950's. It was fun pouring over it for a half hour. This will be my second full season here in FL and it has been quite interesting researching some basic data as far as the onset and ending to the season. We are only 14 weeks or so away and closer for those in true South FL. Its never too early! I for one am ready to sweat bullets again after enjoying the cool and dry conditions the last few months. :thumbsup:

what are the temps like in at the end of March and beginning of april and around july 4th in Orlando? Going to Braves spring traoning end of march and disney world end of June thru July4th

End of March and beginning of April is Chamber of Commerce weather. Low 80's for highs and low 60's for lows. Give or take a few degrees there.

July 4th you are sweatin bullets my friend, but you are also very likely to get some good thunderstorms too.

End of March and beginning of April is Chamber of Commerce weather. Low 80's for highs and low 60's for lows. Give or take a few degrees there.

July 4th you are sweatin bullets my friend, but you are also very likely to get some good thunderstorms too.

I was born in Vero beach and played baseball in Miami for a couple of weeks but don't know the averages. Lived in NC since I was 3 months old but visit Florida every so often

I love coastal Florida weather in the spring and summer! My parents live right at the edge of Sarasota's southern city limits in Osprey and have been in that area since the mid 80's. Always some kind of weather going on, not to mention one of the best beaches in the country at Siesta Key Beach! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I do want to come down for a hurricane though. lightning.gif

I love coastal Florida weather in the spring and summer! My parents live right at the edge of Sarasota's southern city limits in Osprey and have been in that area since the mid 80's. Always some kind of weather going on, not to mention one of the best beaches in the country at Siesta Key Beach! thumbsupsmileyanim.gifI do want to come down for a hurricane though. lightning.gif

Hey Steve.

Don't think you want to spend the hurricane at Osprey. Just a little further inland would be a good idea. :)

The hurricane shield has been up for a while so we may be due this year. But then again we say that every year.

Man it's the middle of February and we're talking tropics and rainy season already. Bring it on baby! This chamber of commerce weather sucks.

No, I'd rather not be in the path of one but I'd sure like to experience some of the wind and rain though! My parents have been lucky, they haven't had any damage since they've been down there. One year it tore up the pool screen but that's about it. They're about .5-1 mile from the coast.

No, I'd rather not be in the path of one but I'd sure like to experience some of the wind and rain though! My parents have been lucky, they haven't had any damage since they've been down there. One year it tore up the pool screen but that's about it. They're about .5-1 mile from the coast.

I grew up in Sarasota and the closest we got to a hurricane was Charley. It was pretty fun riding my bike down the street with the wind pushing me the entire way! We don't get too much in the way of tropical activity. Even the afternoon thunderstorms have seemed to have lost a little bit of their punch from a decade ago.

Oh, and I agree with Siesta Key being AWESOME! I lived 5 miles from there! It was great!

Hey Steve.

Don't think you want to spend the hurricane at Osprey. Just a little further inland would be a good idea. :)

The hurricane shield has been up for a while so we may be due this year. But then again we say that every year.

Man it's the middle of February and we're talking tropics and rainy season already. Bring it on baby! This chamber of commerce weather sucks.

Yes, this chamber of commerce does suck. I am ready for the Rainy/tropical season and your right, Florida has been lucky the last few years so you would think things might start averaging out. Interesting to note, is that we have now gone 5 years without a major hurricane hit on the U.S. We have never gone 6 years without a major hurricane strike on the U.S.!!:scooter:

• 1 month later...

I see the Japan Quake jolted the water table in Florida. I knew the quake in Hati had done that but I figured the quake in Japan was to far away to alter the water table..

http://www.theledger...ida-Water-Table

Yea I heard about that. Crazy isn't it? I guess that's what happens when the planet's bell gets rung. LOL.

I'm getting very close to putting the AC on. The heat is building up inside the apartment and from 4-7 in the afternoon it's 85-86 degrees. I say another 2 weeks and it's on.

I'm curious if anyone feels the same way I do about this. I love when the heat first comes in and I don't even mind the humidity come June and July. But I DREAD August and September (other than a hurricane). By that time I'm so sick of the heat and humidity, I'm ready to shoot people.

Yea I heard about that. Crazy isn't it? I guess that's what happens when the planet's bell gets rung. LOL.

I'm getting very close to putting the AC on. The heat is building up inside the apartment and from 4-7 in the afternoon it's 85-86 degrees. I say another 2 weeks and it's on.

Already there. About the past week I have kicked mine on about 4:30. Runs till about 7 then shuts off.

I'm curious if anyone feels the same way I do about this. I love when the heat first comes in and I don't even mind the humidity come June and July. But I DREAD August and September (other than a hurricane). By that time I'm so sick of the heat and humidity, I'm ready to shoot people.

When I first moved down here from Chicago, I felt the exact same way. Not that any one day was warmer then up north, it was just I wasn't used to the constant 6+ months of warmth and humidity. I used to look forward to the cooler winter months and LMAO at the locals getting all bundled up. As the years have gone by I have adjusted and love the warmer months and can longer tolerate cooler Temps.

No AC yet for me, it's just starting to feel comfortable to me :)

No AC yet for me, it's just starting to feel comfortable to me :)

Not close to AC yet for me either. Plenty of low 80's lately on the TC but hardly a hint of humidity yet. Just flat out beautiful and completely boring weather! This is just my second go around but I think I am getting the "feel" for the much more subtle changes in seasons.

Not close to AC yet for me either. Plenty of low 80's lately on the TC but hardly a hint of humidity yet. Just flat out beautiful and completely boring weather! This is just my second go around but I think I am getting the "feel" for the much more subtle changes in seasons.

Same here Low 80's with no humidity and pleasant evenings. It does take a few years to get used to really not having any defined seasons but I think you will get used to it as the years pass. Though like I said, I find I tolerate the cold a lot less as the years have gone on.:lol:

The EURO is treding toward the GFS in bringing higher rain chances to Florida early next week. Both the GFS and the EURO also bring a strong system out of the Gulf of Mexico late next week/early week-end. Something to watch as far as severe weather chances at least.

The EURO is treding toward the GFS in bringing higher rain chances to Florida early next week. Both the GFS and the EURO also bring a strong system out of the Gulf of Mexico late next week/early week-end. Something to watch as far as severe weather chances at least.

Damn ..... the only reason I am bummed is that I am leaving for a road trip to NJ early nextt Friday with kids in tow and want no part of bad driving conditions :angry: . Otherwise, I would be looking forward to bad rainy / severeish wx.

Damn ..... the only reason I am bummed is that I am leaving for a road trip to NJ early nextt Friday with kids in tow and want no part of bad driving conditions :angry: . Otherwise, I would be looking forward to bad rainy / severeish wx.

Well Maybe the worst will be over before you leave.. The GFS has trended faster this last run. This mornings Melbourne AFD had a nice write up on the rain chances next week as well as the potential severe weather maker late week. Hopefully U-THANT, a met from the Melbourne office will post and keep us informed as the event draws closer.

TUE-SAT...AN ACTIVE PATTERN CONTINUES THROUGH MID TO LATE WEEK WITH

A SERIES OF SYSTEMS AFFECTING THE SE STATES AND FLORIDA THIS PERIOD.

ON TUESDAY...RESIDUAL MOISTURE FROM THE LAST FRONT WILL LINGER AS

LOW LVL FLOW TURNS ONSHORE WITH HIGHS PRESSURE NEAR THE MID ATLC.

WILL KEEP POPS IN THE 30-40 PCT RANGE. AN MID LYR TROUGH WILL MOVE

THROUGH THE LWR GRT LAKES WED WITH ACTIVE CONVECTION TRAILING DOWN

THE SE ATLC SEABOARD INTO N FL. SOUTHERLY FLOW AND DAYTIME HEATING

SHOULD PRODUCE ANOTHER CHC OF AFTN SHOWERS AND STORMS ON WED. THE

REAL PLAYER FOR THE WEEK IS EXPECTED LATE THU INTO EARLY FRI AS GFS

CONTINUES TO INDICATE A CLOSED LOW TO 542 DM AT H5 AND A SUB 1000 MB

LOW DEVELOPING ACROSS THE NE GULF AND TRACKING NE INTO SC AND GA.

THIS TYPE OF PATTERN WILL BRING AN ROUND OF STORMS(...POSSIBLY

STRONG OR SEVERE) TOWARD LATE WEEK IF THE MODELS ARE CORRECT. THE

ECMWF IS NOT AS ROBUST WITH SVR PROSPECTS BUT DOES STILL SHOW A

STORMY PERIOD THU/THU NIGHT WITH THE BROAD UPR TROUGH MOVING INTO

THE SE STATES AND BRINGING A SWATH OF SHOWERS AND STORMS TO THE

STATE. NEEDLESS TO SAY...THERE WILL BE SOME CHANCE FOR SHOWERS AND

STORMS IN THE FORECAST FOR MUCH OF THE UPCOMING WEEK UNTIL DRYING

ENSUES BEHIND THE LAST FRONT TO MOVE THROUGH THE AREA BY LATE FRIDAY

INTO THE FIRST HALF OF NEXT WEEKEND.

Well Maybe the worst will be over before you leave.. The GFS has trended faster this last run. This mornings Melbourne AFD had a nice write up on the rain chances next week as well as the potential severe weather maker late week. Hopefully U-THANT, a met from the Melbourne office will post and keep us informed as the event draws closer.

looks like the whole coast may be swamped next Friday / Sat. Maybe I'll rent a boat instead of a car.

Archived