christians
    Newest Member
    christians
Florida 2011 Spring & Summer "Wet" Season

toad strangler

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like Friday has a chance of some storms, then back to the hot dry weather. A tidbit from this afternoons MLB AFD.

00Z FRI-12Z SAT...

THE HIGH PRESSURE RIDGE BEHIND THE APPROACHING FRONT WILL MOVE OFF

THE SE COAST BY DAYBREAK FRI...PULLED ALONG BY A 100KT ZONAL JET.

THIS WILL ALLOW H100-H70 WINDS TO VEER TO THE S AND PUSH THE REMNANT

MOISTURE BAND BACK INTO THE CENTRAL PENINSULA. A SHORTWAVE TROF

BEHIND THE RIDGE WILL PROVIDE SOME MID/UPR LVL DYNAMIC SUPPORT AS

WELL...THROUGH MOS POPS HAVE RETREATED SLIGHTLY FROM THE 12Z RUN.

20-30PCT DISTRIBUTION LOOKS FINE FOR NOW...WILL KEEP MENTION OF

THUNDER AS GFS CONTINUES TO HINT AT -10C TO -12C TEMPS AT H50.

MAX/MIN TEMPS WITHIN A DEG OR TWO OF CLIMO AVG (L/M80S AND L/M60S).

I noticed a good sized anvil as I got home tonight waaay out to my NW. Radar shows a storm 80-90 miles from me. It is amazing how far the eye can see in the flatlands :lol:

Just 14 days shy of the earliest onset of the rainy season IMBY (11 years back).

Yes, Florida being so flat you can see the bigger storm tops miles away. May can be an interesting month, of course if May ends up being dry, it's said that it increases the risk of a landfalling storm to Florida.:mapstorm:

I noticed a good sized anvil as I got home tonight waaay out to my NW. Radar shows a storm 80-90 miles from me. It is amazing how far the eye can see in the flatlands :lol:

Just 14 days shy of the earliest onset of the rainy season IMBY (11 years back).

I remember about 5 or 6 years ago I drove to California from NJ. Took Rt. 80 all the way out. While in Wyoming I saw some mountains to my left and some mountains to my right. I looked at a map to see what mountains they were. Turns out, the mountains to my left were 70 miles away and the mountains to my right were 80 miles away. LOL. I could have sworn they were maybe 20 miles away at the most.

I remember about 5 or 6 years ago I drove to California from NJ. Took Rt. 80 all the way out. While in Wyoming I saw some mountains to my left and some mountains to my right. I looked at a map to see what mountains they were. Turns out, the mountains to my left were 70 miles away and the mountains to my right were 80 miles away. LOL. I could have sworn they were maybe 20 miles away at the most.

That's funny you mention that about mountains. A long time ago on a trip from Ohio to Colorado you could start to see the Rocky's about halfway across Kansas . It still took a long time to get there but it was cool to see.

I also saw a documentary about the blue sprites the form above thunderstorms way up in the atmosphere. They actually set the camera's up in the Rocky's and look back east to the storms in Kansas and Nebraska to study them.

That's funny you mention that about mountains. A long time ago on a trip from Ohio to Colorado you could start to see the Rocky's about halfway across Kansas . It still took a long time to get there but it was cool to see.

I also saw a documentary about the blue sprites the form above thunderstorms way up in the atmosphere. They actually set the camera's up in the Rocky's and look back east to the storms in Kansas and Nebraska to study them.

Kansas is as flat as you get.. It's a great storm chasing state. On another note, it's nice to see some storms on the local radar!!:thumbsup:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/tbw/

Humidity is creeping up and becoming a bit more constant. A few more weeks .... until then Chamber of Commerce wx still rules

Keep the dry weather going. A TC will wipe out the drought eventually. Still no need to use the A/C, no expensive utility bills, no mosquitoes, no 75 dew points, etc. etc.

The average start of wet season in Miami is May 20th, so we still should have a good 2 weeks left to go, on average.

Keep the dry weather going. A TC will wipe out the drought eventually. Still no need to use the A/C, no expensive utility bills, no mosquitoes, no 75 dew points, etc. etc.

The average start of wet season in Miami is May 20th, so we still should have a good 2 weeks left to go, on average.

That is interesting. I did some basic research on the beginning of the wet season on the Treasure Coast and it is posted in the initial post in this thread. May 20th is roughly the average here (May 25th). I did not look up Miami but I can only assume that you get it a couple weeks before me (Steady dew points of 70 and above). Keep us posted!

Depends on where you are located. Fire danger is very real up here. This past front didn't get squat. Can smell smoke every time I go outside. So bring on the rain, and lots of it.

Also, have you really not used your AC yet? We have had consistent upper 80's and low 90's here. AC has been on for a while.

Depends on where you are located. Fire danger is very real up here. This past front didn't get squat. Can smell smoke every time I go outside. So bring on the rain, and lots of it.

Also, have you really not used your AC yet? We have had consistent upper 80's and low 90's here. AC has been on for a while.

Same here, we need rain.. the smell of smoke and the haze in the air is a reminder of the wildfires. Hopefully an early start to the rainy season and an early season tropical system will come Floridas way.

93 today with a DP around 64. Slowly getting there.:thumbsup:

SB collision should be over my house this evening. Hopefully a little shower will pop up.

Have a chance of rain all this week so it won't be long.

Yes, the dewpoint is back above 60 again and the PW is rising and forecast to be above 1.50 tomorrow. Like you said, starting tomorrow we should start seeing some SB showers and storms!!:thumbsup:

This afternoons AFD from the Melbourne office sounds rather bullish for precip for EC FL this week-end.

FRI-MON...EWD PROGRESSION OF RIDGE CONTINUES THROUGH FRI...WITH GRDL

FLATTENING OF THE RIDGE THIS WEEKEND AS BLOCK FINALLY BREAKS DOWN

COMPLETELY. WHILE THE ECM IS A TAD SLOWER THAN THE GFS IN THE RATE

AT WHICH HGTS FALL OVER FL...THEY BOTH SHOW INCREASING MEAN MOISTURE

IN A DVLPG SWRLY FLOW PATTERN AS H50 TROUGH FORMS OVER THE SE/FL.

THIS SHOULD PORTEND HIGHER CHCS FOR SHRA/TS...AND FAVORING THE CTRL

AND ERN SIDE OF THE PENINSULA OVER THE WEST. IF THE ADVERTISED SOLN

MAINTAINS ITSELF...FULLY EXPECT TO SEE POPS FOR THIS WEEKEND GET

BUMPED WELL INTO THE SCT (40-50) RANGE...AND PSBLY EVEN A BIT HIGHER.

&&

Rainy season outlook from NWS Miami office.

http://www.srh.noaa....011/player.html

I listened to the whole presentation. Interesting to say the least although there is obviously low confidence in the forecast during the wet season. Major lean on analogs. Makes it more fun if you ask me. Then, you throw in what the tropics might do.

LOL I get sweaty just walking out to the porch over the past 3 days. It's been brutal. This AM brought visible smoke from the fires into the neighborhoods. In Tamarac i literally thought someones house was on fire until I remembered the morning news mention of the brushfire. Its even barely visible over a retention pond outside my Boca office.

We'll be influenced by a hi moving in from the panhandle which should change our winds to easterly, at least for a day or 2, just enough to clear out the smoke. Humidity is up there but I don't think its quite time yet. I bet we will be there in 2 weeks though.

Mentioning the large anvils out in the glades, I saw one in particular one afternoon a week or 2 back that was almost perfect in shape, I go and look on radar and the giant signature is just south of Lake O!

I listened to the whole presentation. Interesting to say the least although there is obviously low confidence in the forecast during the wet season. Major lean on analogs. Makes it more fun if you ask me. Then, you throw in what the tropics might do.

Yes, it was an interesting presentation. The Tropics input this year will be very interesting. The ITCZ since winter has been really active and if that can keep up once the ITCZ moves north, hopefully Florida can at least get some strong tropical waves to help the drought.

The skies really hazy this morning. An interesting note from the Tampa NWS office about this.

ON A SIDE NOTE...INTERESTING FEATURE ON VISIBLE SATELLITE THIS

MORNING IS THE BAND OF SMOKE EXTENDING FROM AROUND GAINESVILLE

SOUTH SOUTHEAST TO LAKE OKEECHOBEE FROM THE LARGE FIRE IN SOUTH

GEORGIA. THIS IS MOSTLY IN THE MID AND UPPER LEVELS AS SURFACE

OBSERVATIONS ARE NOT MENTIONING SMOKE OR HAZE. HOWEVER... THIS IS

MOVING SOUTHWESTWARD SO WILL LIKELY SEE THE SKY BECOME A RATHER

MILKY WHITE FOR A LITTLE ACROSS A GOOD PORTION OF THE REGION

DURING THE REST OF TODAY.

Well summer is here. Went for a walk around 11 PM tonight and was dripping sweat when I got back. LOL. I was gone maybe 20 minutes.

Not quite that bad yet here in Central Florida. Warm days and the nights have been plesant. The humidity is picking up though, so it won't be long. Of course that's my kind of weather.:lol:

Not quite that bad yet here in Central Florida. Warm days and the nights have been plesant. The humidity is picking up though, so it won't be long. Of course that's my kind of weather.:lol:

I like it too. It doesn't get to me until the end of August. By then I'm ready to shoot people.

I like it too. It doesn't get to me until the end of August. By then I'm ready to shoot people.

That's how I used to be when I first moved to Florida. It took a few years for me to get used to the length of time the heat and humidity lasted. Of course, South Florida gets the muggy conditions earlier and lasts much longer then here in Central Florida.

Things are actually a bit interesting in FL for this time of year. :popcorn:

It looks like with the continued light breeze, drought conditions, high temps and low RH values, fire weather should continue for at least another day or two. The fire in Big Cypress has burned almost 36,000 acres now, and is 60-percent contained. Once the seabreeze weakens in S. Fl this evening, the east coast metros will probably smell the smoke again. Sunset may be quite nice, and a bit more red than usual, with the hazy / smoky look in the air to the west.

We also have an ocean swell incoming Wed night, and continuing for quite a while, compliments the large mid-Atlantic cyclone churning right now. For those beach-goers out there, it could make things more interesting than the normal late spring / early summer flat seas. See the wave-watch 3 forecast to see when it will get to your area:

https://www.fnmoc.na...12&set=SeaState

Finally, we may be looking at some wet and cooler weather this weekend into early next week, thanks to an unseasonably deep trough projected to develop over the ern United States. Today's ECMWF was particularly aggressive, with the low forecast to be centered over north FL 12Z next Tues! A non-tropical synoptic low pressure that far south is truly extraordinary for this time of year. Also, compliments blocking over the Atlantic, any system that develops will be very slow moving.

post-378-0-79512200-1305061043.gif

Archived