• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Initialization Error

12Z GFS has it too. I believe all model runs today will need to be thrown out (unless you can prove that the ensembles and foreign models aren't suffering from this).

This is really not that big a deal. I'd be suspicious of the surface temps the models are spitting out in that area, but that's it. This does not invalidate any of the runs.

This is really not that big a deal. I'd be suspicious of the surface temps the models are spitting out in that area, but that's it. This does not invalidate any of the runs.

I would also be suspicious of p-type, QPF, pressure, wind, snowmelt, soil moisture... basically anything with "Surface", "2m", or "10m" in its descriptor or any quantity derived from any of these quantities. Over time the effects expand to other regions, and the non-surface quantities start to be affected as well.

I would also be suspicious of p-type, QPF, pressure, wind, snowmelt, soil moisture... basically anything with "Surface", "2m", or "10m" in its descriptor or any quantity derived from any of these quantities. Over time the effects expand to other regions, and the non-surface quantities start to be affected as well.

Minor effects for your immediate area. This would not noticeably effect anywhere else. I'm sure there are far more errors that are also insignificant in the grand scheme.

From HPC:

http://www.hpc.ncep....ons/pmdhmd.html

12Z/02 NAM AND GFS EVALUATIONS

ANY INITIALIZATION ERRORS WITH THE NAM AND GFS DO NOT APPEAR TO

SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACT THEIR SOLUTIONS.

Even still, a snow depth error (actually, more so snow versus no snow) would have an impact on near surface temperatures (though these fields need to be taken with a grain of salt to begin with). The notion that it will immediately impact everything is way overstated.

I wasn't trying to make a point.I was just showing a model run.

Fine, but you showed something that is completely irrelevant to the topic you started (this thread). The snow plot you showed is the snow accumulation for the DGEX run (84-192 hours), and has absolutely nothing to do with the snow depth (analysis/initial conditions) for the NAM (what you showed is not snow depth, but snow accumulation). If you look at the actual plots, you'll see the the 6z DGEX has another storm (mostly overrunning type precip) running up the plains in the 5-6.5 day forecast.

00Z NAM has error still. 00Z GFS fixes it minus a narrow strip near the OK/MO border (and maybe some places farther west, and possibly parts of the OV). 06Z NAM should have it fixed too.

How about showing some examples and giving evidence instead of spewing this out as if it is some sort of "truth".

How about showing some examples and giving evidence instead of spewing this out as if it is some sort of "truth".

First map was the last unaffected model run, followed by two affected model runs, and one that fixed some regions (like mine) and "broke" some other regions (like the southern OV).

nam2212011020200f00snow.png

nam2212011020206f00snow.png

nam2212011020300f00snow.png

nam2212011020312f00snow.png

First map was the last unaffected model run, followed by two affected model runs, and one that fixed some regions (like mine) and "broke" some other regions (like the southern OV).

To be honest, I don't really see anything terribly egregious or widespread (to the point you can simply say toss a solution).

The surface fields (like snow depth) are not actually analyzed every cycle like the atmospheric variables [they are updated by ingesting a combination of AFWA and IMS analyses, and for the NAM this only occurs at 06z]. This is why you see "corrections" corresponding to that time. In between cycles (say from 12z to 18z), the difference in the initial snow depth is from melting or snow accumulation from the model itself. For more information, a brief description can be found here: http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/jcsda/ggayno/snow.txt

As myself and others have pointed out, "errors" in this field will most directly impact surface temperatures but probably not much more in a gross fashion (for example, if an underestimate in snow depth results in a particular point going snow-free too early in the forecast).

Archived