• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Awesome NWS Webcam Site for Western US

Maybe no one cares since its the western US...but I was just browsing for webcams out west this morning to watch the incoming blizzard...and stumbled upon this gem from the SLC NWS. Nice compilation of webcams (mostly traffic cams) from the whole western US...default view is Utah, but zoom out to see cameras from the rest of the region.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/gmap2/webcams/webcams.htm

You can obviously find all these through the various state/city traffic webpages...but its great to have them all compiled in one page...and I think the map interface it far better than anything I've seen on any DOT page.

Someone really needs to put something like this together for the eastern US.

Maybe no one cares since its the western US...but I was just browsing for webcams out west this morning to watch the incoming blizzard...and stumbled upon this gem from the SLC NWS. Nice compilation of webcams (mostly traffic cams) from the whole western US...default view is Utah, but zoom out to see cameras from the rest of the region.

You can obviously find all these through the various state/city traffic webpages...but its great to have them all compiled in one page...and I think the map interface it far better than anything I've seen on any DOT page.

BTV has a nice one

BTV has a nice one

only covers their WFA though...and not quite of nice as an interface as you've got to click on each location to get a popup with the cam. With SLCs you can just hover over and a thumbnail image appears...except for the streaming cams.

wish I was an expert at webpage scripting...I would put something together.

I've been working on this for the board, though it's not quite as slick. Started in New England and have slowly been adding more and more-- hopefully to cover the whole east coast eventually.

http://www.americanw...o=show&pageId=1

definitely a start. what I really like about the SLC site is that it actually plots each individual camera on the map...its not just one dot that links to a page with 20 cameras listed on it. and having them pop up when you hover over them is very convenient and makes for quick/smooth viewing. probably a lot of work to go to some of those DOT sites and figure out the coordinates for each cam to plot on your own map...but in the end I think that really what sets apart that SLC NWS page from most other sites I've browsed. its just not as enjoyable when I click a link and it just pops up a new page for a new cam site...i could just bookmark those pages if I wanted.

it would also be nice if the points on the map only showed if the cam image was up to date. I don't know if its possible, but if there was a way to code it so that the points only showed if an image had been updated within some specified time...say 3 hours. too many frozen/broken cams end up on pages like these. it'd be nice to easily know which are live and up to date.

like I said...wish I had the expertise to be able to contribute to a project like that...but unfortunately all I have is unsolicited ideas.

http://www.wrh.noaa....ams/webcams.htm

That is a nice site. Looking at it, it appears as though the cameras are state and local government webcams, and we just don't have that many of them in the east. Problem is that the NWS cannot directly link to any dot com sites so the map would be a bit more limited. Might be worth it anyway though.

That is a nice site. Looking at it, it appears as though the cameras are state and local government webcams, and we just don't have that many of them in the east. Problem is that the NWS cannot directly link to any dot com sites so the map would be a bit more limited. Might be worth it anyway though.

well doesn't have to be an NWS hosted site...but still...I think there's quite a few states that have decent camera networks. I know CT and NC do...PA and NY have some as well. I'd be surprised if there weren't any around Boston or DC.

well doesn't have to be an NWS hosted site...but still...I think there's quite a few states that have decent camera networks. I know CT and NC do...PA and NY have some as well. I'd be surprised if there weren't any around Boston or DC.

Right...I was more commenting on the SLC site. I do like the idea of having one hosted here.

That's really cool! I will be using this from now on. ^_^

Two of the ODOT cameras are located less than a mile away from where I live. :arrowhead:

The main problem I see is that they have Western Washington all wrong. They don't even have most of the WSDOT cameras there, and the Mt. St. Helens cam is plotted near Seattle!

I didn't initially pick up on the full significance of Mr. Windcredible's website, that you could shift locations by dragging the rectangular box within it. Anyway, fwiw, some of the sites above extend outside of the range of his site.

I've been working on this for the board, though it's not quite as slick. Started in New England and have slowly been adding more and more-- hopefully to cover the whole east coast eventually.

http://www.americanw...o=show&pageId=1

PennDot has lots of traffic cameras. Just follow the links from this map. It's broken down by regions.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/internet/districts/districtgraphics.nsf/trafficcamerasmap

Archived