Jump to content

jm1220

Members
  • Posts

    26,259
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by jm1220

  1. 51 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

    I felt like today was summer saying goodbye 

    It’s a step down the staircase to winter. Maybe there’s 3 more stairs to go down if we have a warm wet torch, 5 or 6 if we have cold/snowy periods but step down today for sure. 

  2. 15 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

    Thats why we protect the dunes!  While this is awful, they did their job.  Other places were not so lucky, if you can call it that.

    Those homes and many others are in trouble if we repeat this 3-5 more times over the winter. 

    • Like 2
  3. 8 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

    Very memorable storm. I can’t remember the last time my entire property was covered in live tree branches and leaves. Quite the cleanup 

    My street is a disaster with twigs on it still and a street around the corner from me had no power for 2.5 days because of branches down on power lines. I definitely agree it was a disruptive storm. I just had power flicker a few times. A few years ago PSEG did a good job clearing branches away from power lines on my street after we had something similar happen with us so this time it probably saved us. 

    • Like 2
  4. Was this a bad storm? Absolutely. But we’ve seen plenty of those since especially around 2010. March 2010 for example was devastating for many because of tree/power damage and we’ve had many more since. For coastal flooding in the back bays I think it briefly hit Major status which is what was expected. Upton was a little slow to catch on but eventually upgraded the coastal areas to high wind warnings and flooding was about what was expected. For days models had the 4-5” rains a chunk of us experienced and Upton had a similar total precip map out. The wet grounds aided in uprooting trees vs if we had dry conditions this summer. The beaches got pounded due to the storm lingering for days and yes it’s rare we get these so soon in September. But compared to other storms we’ve gotten in the last 15 years or so is it that historic-no. Disruptive yes. 

    • Like 2
    • 100% 1
  5. 6 minutes ago, TriPol said:

    If you live on Long Island or the Jersey Shore, you'll remember this storm for the rest of your life.

    Where I am personally, notable but I’ve seen a lot worse. Some of the shore areas did flood pretty heavily due to the piled up water over a few high tides. Overall I’d say it was about as expected. The wet ground contributed to more trees down and power outages. 

    • Like 1
  6. 34 minutes ago, bluewave said:

    Yeah, Sandy Hook could reach the 9ft level or a bit higher which  would only require a 3.5 foot surge on top of the 5.5 astronomical level with the full moon tomorrow morning. A 4 foot surge coinciding with the morning height tide would get to the 9.5 foot level.

    The back bays of Long Island could see an even higher surge relative to their locations. The models have a tide level in Freeport  forecast close to 8 foot mark. That would approach the Hurricane Irene tide level.
     

    IMG_7719.jpeg.cdf156dfaad05f8aee96068f2e8df42b.jpeg

     

    IMG_7720.png.42be6d78514cfe4017f12d463fdf20c0.png


    IMG_7721.png.b713f9d5e46a9e9f762cbdfb265c5607.png

    I’m sure the back bays are getting wrecked pretty good from this. There’s wave/water rise over multiple tide cycles plus full moon. 

    • Like 1
  7. 1 hour ago, jbenedet said:

    Trees snapped in half rather than uprooted bc the tree line wind was ripping but the ground was rock hard and didn’t have efficient mixing to surface in gusts.

    That looks opposite with this one.

    I lived on a barrier island which made whatever rain irrelevant (10 foot storm tide). I also remember the sustained wind being strong but not crazy but the gusts were 85+ when they could mix down. 

    • Like 1
  8. 1 minute ago, Rmine1 said:

    Strangely Upton's bullseye from yesterday looks to be the area that will see the lowest totals

    I almost wish Upton wouldn't go with a map like this when it's obviously a convective system. But yesterday the split screw area somewhere was pretty obvious. What a summer for coastal CT deluge. 

  9. 2 hours ago, mikeysed said:

    Any short range models showing anything interesting?

    Looks like a kind of split screw setup-the heavy rain area over Central PA maybe hits the I-84 area, then NYC/LI has to see what happens with the heavy rain area further south near DC. Between those areas probably ends up with little. 

    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1
×
×
  • Create New...