Jump to content

MGorse

Meteorologist
  • Posts

    2,313
  • Joined

Posts posted by MGorse

  1. 3 hours ago, RU848789 said:

    Understood, was just hoping such outliers wouldn't be in the snowfall maps you guys generate.  Speaking of the PNS's I get while there are "partial" reports before the end of a storm when the storm is still going on, but I always wondered why the partial reports are usually still in the final PNA 12-24 hours after the event is over.  For example, with Sunday's storm, there are partial reports from 6 or 7 am, when the storm wasn't over for the vast majority of people in our area until 9-10 am.  Why not take these out?  

    By the way, these are minor nitpicks.  As I've posted earlier, thought you guys did a great job with this storm and much better than many other media sources, especially in going with 3-5" amounts along 95 and even up through 78 (and saying the most would likely be between 95 and the coast) when many kept with their 1-3" predictions for those areas.  

    Usually those old reports are removed from the PNS going forward and especially for the final one (we received something like 500 reports during and immediately following the storm!). There were some issues however with the software we use during the Sunday storm, plus there was a newer Meteorologist gathering the reports and issuing LSRs and PNSs. 

    Also, thanks for the kind words in your second paragraph. We try our best but are certainly not perfect. 

    • Like 2
  2. 27 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

    Posted this on the NYC subforum and a NWS met said they took the Metuchen 8.7" measurement out, but I see it's still in the NWS-Philly's map, so figured I'd post it here.

    Speaking of inflated measurements, someone else in Metuchen reported 8.7" vs. my report of 6.7". There's simply no way that's right, as it's an outlier vs. all other county reports (especially when, generally, more snow fell in southern Middlesex than northern) and it's a huge outlier vs. the nearby Edison reports (6.6" and 5.6") and my report of 6.7". Even when I measured on grass, the most I saw was about 7.4" so I can't imagine how someone got 8.7" - and Metuchen is only 1 square mile, so it's not like there is some gradient across town.  

    ...Middlesex County...
    Metuchen 8.7 in 0945 AM 12/14 Public
    Plainsboro Township 8.0 in 1100 AM 12/14 Public
    Cranbury 7.3 in 1045 AM 12/14 Trained Spotter
    East Brunswick Twp 7.0 in 1045 AM 12/14 COCORAHS
    Edison 6.6 in 1045 AM 12/14 Newspaper
    North Brunswick Twp 1.5 W 6.6 in 0426 PM 12/14 COCORAHS
    Parlin 6.4 in 0100 PM 12/14 Trained Spotter
    East Brunswick 6.2 in 1100 AM 12/14 Trained Spotter
    Sayreville 6.0 in 1135 AM 12/14 Public
    South River 5.8 in 1119 AM 12/14 Trained Spotter
    Edison 5.6 in 1145 AM 12/14 Trained Spotter

    Yeah that report and probably a few others should have been removed from the final PNS. Just remember though, reports in PNSs and LSRs are all considered preliminary (not official).

    • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...