Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Israel's Winter Weather

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know someone who is currently in Tiberias, Israel.  He posted a few pictures on his Facebook for me.  Said it started as rain and caused flooding since it doesn't rain there much and then changed to snow. Tiberias is located near sea level.

Got this information from wikipedia:

The winters are mild with temperatures ranging from 18C to 8C (65F and 46F). Extremes have ranged from 0 to 46C (32F to 115F)

Elevation ranges from -200m to 200m

Enjoy the pictures!

post-8696-0-22488200-1357763199_thumb.jp

post-8696-0-78535100-1357763209_thumb.jp

post-8696-0-84554400-1357763215_thumb.jp

Snowing HARD now. Accumulating everywhere. Streets covered. Can't wait to post these pics

Glad it worked out! Looks like a nice little band rotated through over the past couple hours although it looks like things now have shifted towards a more typical "multi-band" type setup with the heavier bands to your southwest. You may see some light accumulations through Thursday morning though from intermittent precip, esepcially if you have the ground covered.

By the way, got some thundersnow in that last burst we had a couple of hours ago. That was the first time I ever witnessed that. Totally awesome.

This is definitely meeting some of my expectations. There is about 2 inches on the ground now in some spots. The roads are slushy. More of these bursts are supposed to occur the next 12 hours or so.

Hope to get a link to some pics and videos soon

Glad it worked out! Looks like a nice little band rotated through over the past couple hours although it looks like things now have shifted towards a more typical "multi-band" type setup with the heavier bands to your southwest. You may see some light accumulations through Thursday morning though from intermittent precip, esepcially if you have the ground covered.

Thanks. Do you mind linking me to what you are looking at? I have had a hard time finding a good satellite and radar to watch during these things.

Thanks. Do you mind linking me to what you are looking at? I have had a hard time finding a good satellite and radar to watch during these things.

Sure.

Nothing really great, I haven't tracked down any radar images.

Here's one satellite source:

http://www.eurometeo.com/english/meteosat/jump_EUMET:IR-7

Accuweather has a more zoomed in version:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/il/jerusalem/213225/satellite/213225

The Wundermap has is good for looking at weather stations for temps/wind direction as well as Euro images:

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=32.00000000&lon=34.90000153&zoom=8&pin=Tel%20Aviv%2c%20Israel&type=hyb&rad=0&wxsn=0&svr=0&cams=0&sat=1&sat.num=1&sat.spd=25&sat.opa=85&sat.gtt1=109&sat.gtt2=108&sat.type=IR4&riv=0&mm=0&hur=0

Getting an amazing band of snow right now. It's falling heavily and softly. Winter wonderland. There is definitely about 3 to 4 inches of snow on the ground, all over. Took more amazing pics and will have them up soon. 

I prob should head to bed. It's past 3 AM here, but staying up for this was completely worth it

Getting an amazing band of snow right now. It's falling heavily and softly. Winter wonderland. There is definitely about 3 to 4 inches of snow on the ground, all over. Took more amazing pics and will have them up soon. 

I prob should head to bed. It's past 3 AM here, but staying up for this was completely worth it

Great shots. I'm happy to see that the heavier precipitation materialized. Enjoy the snowfall.

Stay up until it's over and keep posting pics 

I'm just speechless

Enjoy it! Some of us back in the states are about to go through some record warmth. I know my city could break a record set back in 1890 on Friday and Saturday.

How often do you guys get a snowfall of more than an inch? I didn't realize Jerusalem was capable of getting five inches of snow. I knew you got some, but though it was never more than a dusting.

Just got back from a long journey to the Old City. Have some pics that I have dreamed of taking for a very long time. The whole time from 7 am to 10:30 am we were under an extremely heavy band of snow. Temps started rising though near the end around the time the precip slowed down and a lot of melting has been going on. But wow, those hours were unbelievable. Now it's pretty sunny, but supposedly there is a large new batch of precip coming - hopefully it'll all still be snow :)

But so far, this has been one of the most amazing snow storms I have ever experienced.

You guys squeeze a lot of weather into a small country.  Reading a story about an attempted organized crime hit in Tel Aviv, and they have palm trees in the picture.  Almost sounds like SoCal, warm at the beach, snow in the mountains.  Not that I ever found the beaches in SoCal all that warm the few times I went..

I gotta get my passport renewed someday...

:lol: I am glad you busted too. But it's totally ok man, the terrain here is way different and much trickier than what you are probably used to. I think that post I made earlier where I quoted Jconsor pretty much sums up the deal here. 

Yeah, I need to get a better feeling of the climo there...though the terrain is not the real problem...I'm looking at 6500ft+ peaks almost everywhere I turn around.

Ok guys, here are my pics from the storm: https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A6G4TcsmGxhVvG

And don't forget about this album that I posted earlier: https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A65qXGF1u8KHT

Feel free to pass those links around.

I had a blast covering this for you guys. In the end we received a maximum reported 18 cm (about! 8 inches!)

The number 18 happens to equal the word Chai or "Life" in it's Hebrew numerical form. And man, this snow storm was the life! One of the best snow events I have ever witnessed. 

I hope you enjoy the pics, and stay tuned for some incredible videos soon! 

Archived