Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2013-14

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome........just awesome.   Next city.......

Well the bulk of it fell apart... but there's showers in there...

If they get a lot of rain, they could cool down by 4°F+ (see KAXH). If it's just a bit, they might even warm a little (see KSGR). So I'm really hoping for the latter.

Wow... I'm really worried about that cell that is heading NNW, though. Just blew up when it hit the outflow boundary, and hasn't changed direction. Could miss KHOU JUST to the east, but it's gonna be close.

http://radblast.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/radar/WUNIDS_map?station=HOU&brand=wui&num=10&delay=15&type=TR0&frame=0&scale=0.628&noclutter=0&lat=29.64527702&lon=-95.27889252&label=Hobby%2C+TX

Light rain last hour, but no measurable precip. Sustained winds were 11kts, so it's a pretty good bet the winds end up higher than most forecasts today.

I had 87/74/13/0.00. Initially had a small amount of rain in there, but decided to go with my gut. It turns out the 87/74/0.00 options were the most commonly selected, so it shouldn't negatively affect my score much. Radar doesn't look too promising. The dew-point is also down to 72°F, so there's a slight possibility that a heavier shower may bring the low down lower. I wouldn't count on it though.

Wow... I'm really worried about that cell that is heading NNW, though. Just blew up when it hit the outflow boundary, and hasn't changed direction. Could miss KHOU JUST to the east, but it's gonna be close.

http://radblast.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/radar/WUNIDS_map?station=HOU&brand=wui&num=10&delay=15&type=TR0&frame=0&scale=0.628&noclutter=0&lat=29.64527702&lon=-95.27889252&label=Hobby%2C+TX

Really, really close. As in, if the rain gauge is in the NE part of the airport, they might get precip. Otherwise we (those of us who went 0") might dodge another bullet.

EDIT: Nope, it's in the SW part. Success!

http://goo.gl/maps/IqpdD

EDIT 2: Probably won't matter after all.

Ugh, this outflow-cooled air is going to be the death of me.

Not as much as 50% of the forecasters who put 87+ :lol:

Boy that dew point is dropping like a rock huh?

Yep, great for the 0.00" people, raising the lcl's even by a little bit would seriously hurt the CAPE. It's also easy to see where that dry air is coming from :lol: Thank you thunderstorm downdraft!

CRP.gif

Keep up the play by play Mallow.  It has been entertaining as I attempt my Boundary Layer HW.

Boy that dew point is dropping like a rock huh?

:lol:

Ya, never expected to see it get down to the 60s. Hooray for mixing down dry (well, drier) air from aloft!

Not as much as 50% of the forecasters who put 87+ :lol:

Yep, great for the 0.00" people, raising the lcl's even by a little bit would seriously hurt the CAPE.

WRT precip, I'm glad dewpoints have dropped so much. WRT the high temperature, it worries me. Drier air will be easier to heat if they can get some sunshine in there. Hoping for the clouds to stick around! Best of all worlds for me :P

I'm still worried about the low. Even though it "stuck" at 77F this hour, the 77F at 9:07AM could actually have been anywhere between 76F and 78F due to rounding. And in that ~45 minutes between that obs and the hourly one, it could have easily gone 76F->75F->76F->77F. So... I'm not out of the woods yet on the low.

On top of that, the 06z temperatures could be mightly close as well.

I'm still worried about the low. Even though it "stuck" at 77F this hour, the 77F at 9:07AM could actually have been anywhere between 76F and 78F due to rounding. And in that ~45 minutes between that obs and the hourly one, it could have easily gone 76F->75F->76F->77F. So... I'm not out of the woods yet on the low.

Damn. :(

Hope it sticks at 86F :P

But the low killed me between obs, so the high probably will, too. :(

It will be interesting to see how the high and wind end up...could be a lot of variation between the hourlies.

BTW, I spoke with the WxChallenge Manager and the Hypothetical Results tool is back up now.

Very similar forecast tomorrow huh?

The pattern doesn't change much until probably Saturday, based on the models, as a cold front eventually approaches. It should be fun to see how much and when precip falls for the balance of the week.

Archived