• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Aussie (& S-Hemisphere) Cyclone Action 2010-2011

maybe i was a bit too optimistic about the rapidity of the eyewall formation...looks like it still has a ways to go before it can totally pinch off and get a nice ring.

20110130.2053.f18.x.91h.11PYASI.60kts-978mb-134S-1660E.99pc.jpg

Semi-OT, best eye formation I ever saw was on a long (multi-day) loop of Hurricane Gilbert. Saw it on TV once, maybe on the TV show 'Nova' on PBS.

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 small complaint, only 1 well developed outflow channel. I want a second one towards the South Pole.

wgmsshr.GIF

With that zonal windflow pattern poleward of the cyclone, what you are likely to see is a strong eastward outflow channel develop rather than a southward one. It will still do the job of evacuating the upper sections of the storm.

Steve

Hi Everyone

Can you please give me some info/opions? Apparently all models are showing that this cyclone will hit around the Townsville area? We are being told it won't go anywhere north of Townsville however the watch does extend alot futher north.

With all your knowledge and years of experience in observing these storms are any of you under the opinion that the models could alter before the cyclone crosses the coast?

We are also being told that people 500kms on either side of the eye of the cyclone will have damaging winds. Surely this can't be right. Is it really that much of a worry?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge/thoughts...

Cheers

Wow-- this is developing into a very serious situation. The striking thing is the almost-alarming agreement between the JTWC, the BoM, and the models, Re: the landfall point and intensity.

The JTWC brings it to the coast S of Cairns a few hours before 00Z 03 Feb. The 00Z 02 Feb fix (the final before landfall) shows 115 kt (1-min)-- a Cat 4 on our scale. The trend suggests it will continue to strengthen up to landfall.

The BoM has it coming ashore at 18Z 02 Feb in almost the exact same place-- around the town of Ingham-- with winds of 105 kt (10-min), which converts to ~120 kt (1-min). (This point is not shown on the forecast map below-- only in the Technical Bulletin.)

So the JTWC and BoM are in agreement: a Cat 4 (USA) coming ashore halfway between Cairns and Townsville. Wow.

By the way, a Cyclone Watch is already up for a large section of the Queensland coast.

post-19-0-29808300-1296464470.gif

post-19-0-27803000-1296464480.gif

Hi Everyone

Can you please give me some info/opions? Apparently all models are showing that this cyclone will hit around the Townsville area? We are being told it won't go anywhere north of Townsville however the watch does extend alot futher north.

With all your knowledge and years of experience in observing these storms are any of you under the opinion that the models could alter before the cyclone crosses the coast?

We are also being told that people 500kms on either side of the eye of the cyclone will have damaging winds. Surely this can't be right. Is it really that much of a worry?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge/thoughts...

Cheers

Howdy--

First off, I strongly suggest you listen to your Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) Re: the track and the extent of damaging winds. They are the authority in your region, and they know best! (A good secondary source would be the USA's Joint Typhoon Warning Center-- but your primary source should be the BoM.)

Now that I've gotten that out of the way... Whoever's telling you these things is incorrect. The BoM's forecast track brings it ashore near Ingham, which is N of Townsville-- so whoever said that it won't come ashore N of Townsville is disagreeing with the BoM.

Re: the extent of damaging winds, that sounds a bit large to me. It's possible you can have gales extending that far out, but certainly not hurricane-force winds. Also note that a cyclone's wind field is not a perfect circle: damaging winds will extend much further to the left (S) of the track than to the right (N). This asymmetry is even more pronounced in fast-moving cyclones, and it looks like Yasi will be moving very fast when it crosses the coast. At any rate, the BoM's advices (and maps) will tell you how far out the damaging winds extend.

Again, make sure to listen to the BoM-- especially if this one becomes as dangerous as expected.

Howdy--

First off, I strongly suggest you listen to your Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) Re: the track and the extent of damaging winds. They are the authority in your region, and they know best! (A good secondary source would be the USA's Joint Typhoon Warning Center-- but your primary source should be the BoM.)

Now that I've gotten that out of the way... Whoever's telling you these things is incorrect. The BoM's forecast track brings it ashore near Ingham, which is N of Townsville-- so whoever said that it won't come ashore N of Townsville is disagreeing with the BoM.

Re: the extent of damaging winds, that sounds a bit large to me. It's possible you can have gales extending that far out, but certainly not hurricane-force winds. Also note that a cyclone's wind field is not a perfect circle: damaging winds will extend much further to the left (S) of the track than to the right (N). This asymmetry is even more pronounced in fast-moving cyclones, and it looks like Yasi will be moving very fast when it crosses the coast. At any rate, the BoM's advices (and maps) will tell you how far out the damaging winds extend.

Again, make sure to listen to the BoM-- especially if this one becomes as dangerous as expected.

Hi

Thanks for this info. I think the issue may be the info that the media is giving out. Not sure how they are getting it wrong as I'm sure that BoM would be sending out updated media alerts. One radio station reported tonight that it is going to be downgraded to a Cat 1 before crossing the coast....now that is scary - maybe they were reading an old Anthony media alert........not good.

Not one media station (that I have seen so far) has mentioned Ingham - It's all Townsville direct hit??? Can you see why I get confused??

I will keep getting updates from the BoM. I live a little north of Ingham (well about 150kms) so I think I'll be right. I'll keep checking this site as well to see what you guys have to say (but also updates from BoM).

Thanks again for the info. I think I will stay put - I was going to go to Townsville to check her out but I'm starting to think it may be safer to stay home and keep out of trouble!

Thanks for clarifying everything for me!

Cheers

Howdy--

Josh, have you ever chased down there? Im impressed that you have the anatomy of where the strongest winds and surge are and such memorized, considering everything in the southern hemisphere is backwards :P

Hi

Thanks for this info. I think the issue may be the info that the media is giving out. Not sure how they are getting it wrong as I'm sure that BoM would be sending out updated media alerts. One radio station reported tonight that it is going to be downgraded to a Cat 1 before crossing the coast....now that is scary - maybe they were reading an old Anthony media alert........not good.

Not one media station (that I have seen so far) has mentioned Ingham - It's all Townsville direct hit??? Can you see why I get confused??

I will keep getting updates from the BoM. I live a little north of Ingham (well about 150kms) so I think I'll be right. I'll keep checking this site as well to see what you guys have to say (but also updates from BoM).

Thanks again for the info. I think I will stay put - I was going to go to Townsville to check her out but I'm starting to think it may be safer to stay home and keep out of trouble!

Thanks for clarifying everything for me!

Cheers

No problem. That is completely insane that one station reported it might be downgraded to a Cat 1 before crossing the coast. Are you sure they were talking about Yasi? If so, they should be taken off the air, as that's just incredibly irresponsible to be giving out incorrect info when such a dangerous cyclone is coming.

The media might be playing up Townsville because the mainstream media (in any country) always wants a dramatic story, and it's more dramatic to talk about a direct hit on a major town, I guess.

For the record, the BoM did not specifically mention Ingham, but their 60-hr forecast point has the cyclone's center crossing the coast just about there: http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ20018.txt

Stay safe! I've chased a few hurricanes myself (that's what we call them over here), and I would handle this one with care.

P.S. Out of curiosity, what town are you in?

Josh, have you ever chased down there? Im impressed that you have the anatomy of where the strongest winds and surge are and such memorized, considering everything in the southern hemisphere is backwards :P

Dude, I was soooooo wanting to chase this one, but I'm too far away and have too much work. Grrrr. I am completely pissed about it. <sigh> It would have been my first chase down there.

P.S. I might be in NYC in a few weeks. Let's finally get together!!

Yes! We might have a full NYC GTG-- we have a poll going on there and looks like most people want it to be in Manhattan.

You know which I wanted to chase down there? Monica-- the one which was one of the most intense ones ever. I dont remember how strong that one was at landfall but it had one of the most beautiful radar presentations Ive ever seen. That new NASA sat is going to let us measure the true intensities of these things out in the middle of the ocean, so no more agonizing over estimated Dvoraks or anything :thumbsup:

Wow, this beast was a 5 at second landfall-- and better yet, little structural damage and no fatalities :thumbsup: It would have been awesome to chase this:

http://en.wikipedia..../Cyclone_Monica

Severe Tropical Cyclone Monica was the most intense tropical cyclone, in terms of maximum sustained winds, on record to impact Australia. The 17th storm of the 2005–06 Australian region cyclone season, Monica originated from an area of low pressure off the coast of Papua New Guinea on 16 April. The storm quickly developed into a Category 1 cyclone the next day, at which time it was given the name Monica. Traveling towards the west, the storm intensified into a severe tropical cyclone before making landfall in Far North Queensland, near the Lockhart River, on 19 April. After moving over land, convection associated with the storm quickly became disorganized.

On 20 April, Monica emerged into the Gulf of Carpentaria and began to re-intensify. Over the following few days, deep convection formed around a 37 km (23 mi) wide eye. Early on 22 April, the Australian Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) assessed Monica to have attained Category 5 status, on the Australian cyclone intensity scale. The Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC) also upgraded Monica to a Category 5 equivalent cyclone, on the Saffir–Simpson Hurricane Scale. The storm attained its peak intensity the following day with winds of 250 km/h (155 km/h 10-minute winds) and a barometric pressure of 916 mbar (hPa; 27.05 inHg). On 24 April, Monica made landfall about 35 km (22 mi) west of Maningrida, at the same intensity. Rapid weakening took place as the storm moved over land. Less than 24 hours after landfall, the storm had weakened to a tropical low. The remnants of the former-Category 5 cyclone persisted until 28 April over northern Australia.

In contrast to the extreme intensity of the cyclone, relatively little structural damage resulted from it. No injuries were reported to have occurred during the storm's existence and losses were estimated to be A$6.6 million ($5.1 million USD). However, severe environmental damage took place. In the Northern Territory, an area about 7,000 km2 (4,300 mi2) was defoliated by Monica's high wind gusts. In response to the large loss of forested area, it was stated that it would take several hundred years for the area to reflourish.

post-143-0-19267100-1296471864.jpg

Yes! We might have a full NYC GTG-- we have a poll going on there and looks like most people want it to be in Manhattan.

Well, if it's some winter-weather-type thing, count me out. I'll fall asleep if it's a gathering for snow weenies to yap about snow!

You know which I wanted to chase down there? Monica-- the one which was one of the most intense ones ever. I dont remember how strong that one was at landfall but it had one of the most beautiful radar presentations Ive ever seen. That new NASA sat is going to let us measure the true intensities of these things out in the middle of the ocean, so no agonizing over estimated Dvoraks or anything :thumbsup:

Monica was not really chaseable, however. It hit empty islands and extremely remote, swampy, jungly areas with no towns. And that's what makes Yasi special: for an Aussie cyclone, it will be very chaseable.

Well, if it's some winter-weather-type thing, count me out. I'll fall asleep if it's a gathering for snow weenies to yap about snow!

Monica was not really chaseable, however. It hit empty islands and extremely remote, swampy, jungly areas with no towns. And that's what makes Yasi special: for an Aussie cyclone, it will be very chaseable.

I was wondering why there was little structural damage with it. I have no clue what the geography of that part of Australia is like-- I guess, they dont have any roads going up there either? It's probably a good thing it hit a remote area, because it would have caused a great deal of damage in a populated town.

Yasi would have been a great one to chase though.

I cant wait until hurricane season. I LOVE winter weather, but it starts to get old after awhile.

BTW on a side note, did you know they defamed your favorite hurricane, Hurricane Charley? Drug dealers use it as a nickname for a new drug which is like meth and which is being sold in stores as a "bath salt." Meth-like side effects have been reported already.

No problem. That is completely insane that one station reported it might be downgraded to a Cat 1 before crossing the coast. Are you sure they were talking about Yasi? If so, they should be taken off the air, as that's just incredibly irresponsible to be giving out incorrect info when such a dangerous cyclone is coming.

The media might be playing up Townsville because the mainstream media (in any country) always wants a dramatic story, and it's more dramatic to talk about a direct hit on a major town, I guess.

For the record, the BoM did not specifically mention Ingham, but their 60-hr forecast point has the cyclone's center crossing the coast just about there: http://www.bom.gov.a...pl?IDQ20018.txt

Stay safe! I've chased a few hurricanes myself (that's what we call them over here), and I would handle this one with care.

P.S. Out of curiosity, what town are you in?

Dude, I was soooooo wanting to chase this one, but I'm too far away and have too much work. Grrrr. I am completely pissed about it. <sigh> It would have been my first chase down there.

P.S. I might be in NYC in a few weeks. Let's finally get together!!

Hey Josh

I am just out side of Innisfail. TC Larry went though this way when I lived in Townsville, now I have moved up here they are going more towards Townsville.....I can't take a break....

The government has now started sending out text warnings to everyone with a mobile phone.....maybe they are aware of the confusion the media is causing. Residents in low areas of Townsville are also being told to evacuate before tomorrow night.....lets hope people listen as people still seem to be saying she will go south of Townsville........I hope people listen as although Yasi is exciting I don't want to see anyone getting hurt.

I can't believe you guys would travel all the way to Aus to chase cyclones.....that's fantastic.....

Hey Josh

I am just out side of Innisfail. TC Larry went though this way when I lived in Townsville, now I have moved up here they are going more towards Townsville.....I can't take a break....

The government has now started sending out text warnings to everyone with a mobile phone.....maybe they are aware of the confusion the media is causing. Residents in low areas of Townsville are also being told to evacuate before tomorrow night.....lets hope people listen as people still seem to be saying she will go south of Townsville........I hope people listen as although Yasi is exciting I don't want to see anyone getting hurt.

I can't believe you guys would travel all the way to Aus to chase cyclones.....that's fantastic.....

Well, you might be near the direct-hit zone, so you really need to follow this.

Chasing hurricanes and cyclones is a big passion for me-- so I'm cool to travel long distances for them.

I've created a new thread for discussion Re: Yasi: http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/11810-cyclone-yasi/page__pid__402511#entry402511. See you there! :)

The signal is very weak and has a low probability of occurring, but there is a chance we could dual cyclones about the equator in the IO Thursday. Two upper level anticyclones have formed near 90E, one at 10N and one at 10S. If you believe the MJO is going to pop out in P6/7/8 in 10-15 days, then it's probably close to P4 right now (even though the signal is weak). Again, low chance of it happening, but something to keep an eye on.

I was wondering why there was little structural damage with it. I have no clue what the geography of that part of Australia is like-- I guess, they dont have any roads going up there either? It's probably a good thing it hit a remote area, because it would have caused a great deal of damage in a populated town.

Yes Monica would have been quite incredible if she had got to what we call "Hells Gates", the small island bound gulf NE of Darwin

Intensification could have occurred and a Cat 3+ near Darwin would have been interesting

The north of Oz is pretty barren with minimal infrastructure outside main towns, access in the wet is minimal or nil

If thinking of chasing look to the west COAST (still very isolated but reasonable access) or Qld

Otherwise Darwin is rather good late October through to early December, we get a few storms

Great you guys have a thread about us cause all we do is b**ch about how boring the dry season is lol

America? Where's that lol whistle.gif

Archived