• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Looking for information on road conditions on U.S. 64 between Brevard and Cashiers

beanskip

Important family driving decision upcoming tomorrow -- already one day late for Christmas with extended family -- high-pressure decision here -- would appreciate any help from my friends on this board.

Bean -

I'm planning on trying to make the trip to Cashiers as well. One thing to consider if that is your final destination. I know 64 can be pretty tricky from Brevard to Cashiers. We typically take hwy 11 west to 130 which basically turns north up into NC. Then take Wiginton Rd over the mountain for a couple of miles before hititng 107 into Cashiers. Now that I type this out it may not be much better but my general impression is that this route is a much "straighter" one with out as many swithc backs. However snow/ice wise it may not be much better. Good luck and STAY SAFE!

Also looking at the Map this would be a little more out of your way coming from Charlotte.

Cad -- thanks for that response and for the good advice. I have taken that route before because it was easier on the carsickeness when my kid were younger. I thought about it for this trip, but the only reason I was not going that way is that it meant much more time on secondary roads. The Brevard way means I get interstate up to 64 at the Asheville airports, then some more four-lane road into Brevard.

But, your suggestion gives me food for thought and I appreciate it very much.

Iceman -- thanks for the info on 64 being clear - have you driven it yourself or is that information from some other source.

Thanks again to both of you!

Bean -

I'm planning on trying to make the trip to Cashiers as well. One thing to consider if that is your final destination. I know 64 can be pretty tricky from Brevard to Cashiers. We typically take hwy 11 west to 130 which basically turns north up into NC. Then take Wiginton Rd over the mountain for a couple of miles before hititng 107 into Cashiers. Now that I type this out it may not be much better but my general impression is that this route is a much "straighter" one with out as many swithc backs. However snow/ice wise it may not be much better. Good luck and STAY SAFE!

Also looking at the Map this would be a little more out of your way coming from Charlotte.

Jackson County roads are in pretty good shape, just some light snow coverage from drifting in places. I haven't seen Transylvania County roads since Saturday afternoon so I can't comment on their condition. Just take your time and you should be just fine, it's the secondary roads that are very tricky. Be careful out there!

Archived