Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Looking Back: The Megalopolitan Storm of 1983

LVwxHistorian

5 hours ago, SP said:

This was the first coastal I ever experienced living at the shore, monmouth college back then. I will never forget hiking to the beach, wearing old goggles to protect the eyes and the first time I ever saw the ocean rise like that, with insane wave action.

I also will never forget Lloyd Lindsay Young, met for channel 9 out of NYC. He was all over this storm as well the others to follow. He became our go to weatherman noon each day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh yeah I forgot to mention the sinking of that ship SS Marine Electric - Wikipedia

I was a senior in college up at UMASS/Amherst at the time so a different dynamic for this storm being in what was a basically a "rural" area on a big university campus. We did get almost 2ft up there.  There was a good little summary of the big storms up that way here - https://www.masslive.com/news/2015/01/top_western_massachusetts_snow.html

A number of the articles from that link were referencing Bradley Airport, which was right across the MA/CT border from Springfield, MA (where Amherst is about 30 miles NE of Springfield).

And I know many of us miss Jim O'Brien (not just from his "weather guy" career but on WFIL 560 doing Top 40 as a disk jockey).  But in addition to him and "real" met Elliot Abrams on KYW, don't forget Herb Clarke, just "across the street" from Channel 6 on City Line Ave., - another who was doing the "weather man" role on TV at the time.

herb.jpg

(Below from 2008 - lots of "weathering" in the pic :lol:)

weather.jpg

As a sidenote, my first thundersnow came a decade or so before 1983 - there was a storm that started as pouring rain and then the cold air came blasting in.  I had actually made a mention in my little diary at the time complete with an illustration. :D  It was either in '71 or '72.

• Like 1

^ WFIL Philly 56! I had a WFIL greatest hits compellation from the '70 in my vinyl collection. Unfortunately like most of my vinyl, it was lost in Isaias. :(

Getting back to the '83 storm, the other thing I recall, along with the '78 storm and PD1 was, as awesome as it was to get those huge amounts, it kind of sucked that it was too deep to go sledding.