Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Record breaking summer... and fall?

Iceagewhereartthou

Welp,

Looks like some in the SE has hit 90 again over the past couple of days, but this should be it. I thought I would past a few numbers from these past few months about the incredible heat for a couple of cities. Please post some more form you city or area if you have them. This Summer/Fall has truly been something with the most above normal May-Oct that I can ever remember, and probably much longer than that.

GSP hit 90, 78 times from June 3rd to September 25th. That puts it third all time behind 2011's 88 and 1954's 84. It reached 95 or higher 26 times, most in July. We hit 100 once. As bad as that was, we admittedly didn't have the worst of it, which seemed to be more to our South and East. CAE seemed to be ground zero. It has been 16.3 degrees above average since June, or an average of nearly 3.3 above per month. 

CLT reached 90, 80 times from June 4th to Spetember 25th, which puts it 4th all-time. 30 days reached 95 or higher. The high there was 99. It has been 21 degrees above normal since June, or more than 4 degrees above per month.

CAE hit 90, 109 times from April 27th to  September 29th. Not sure but I would think this would be number 1 all-time. 95 or higher was reached 61 times! It reached 100, 21 times, which I believe put it second all-time. There were many 98 and 99 degree days that just missed 100 due to afternoon clouds/storms. If you followed the thread during the summer, you may recall that CAE came very close to other records, such as most consecutive 100 degree days and most consecutive 90 degree days. July broke pretty much all monthly heat records. It has been 21.7 degrees above average since May, or nearly 3.8 degrees above average per month. The average was brought down by just 1 degree above average in May, so nearly 4.2 above since June. 

Pretty incredible stretch, and that is not even counting the way above winter and absolute blowtorch records from last December, that were actually more impressive than July as far as departures. Who on this board wouldn't love a stretch of "normal" temps for awhile? 

I know many other areas of the SE has some crazy numbers and records; parts of GA, AL, MS, LA and so on. Please post from your city if you have some numbers. 

Iceage,

Thanks for the detailed thread.

Summers in Columbia, SC are horrifically hot/humid - 109 times with 90+ temps - wow. I'm often amazed at the differences in summer temps/climate between the Upstate and Midlands.

(According to James Spann) Birmingham, AL will record its warmest October ever. Additionally, Birmingham will reach a high of near 90 today and will have its warmest Halloween ever.

Raleigh had its 6th hottest July, 3rd hottest August, and 6th hottest September on record. Raleigh also failed to drop below 68 in July, tying the warmest coldest temperature for a given July. The same thing happened when it never dropped below 58 in September. Raleigh got second in number of lows at or above 70 with 72, behind 2010 with 76. There were 70 days with a high at or above 90, which tied for 5th place. Raleigh also had 59 consecutive days that hit at least 86, destroying the previous record of 46. It failed to fall below 72 for 17 days, another record. And it failed to fall below 68 for 55 days, which was second only to 1934, when it failed to fall below 68 for 57 days.

Archived