Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2016 Forecasts, Disco

snowman19

Guest Pamela

The point...trying to make was the average temperature in NYC during that time has been comparable to that in Richmond Virginia which does have an average temperature significantly higher than NYC's. Their climates are very different, Richmond has never received more than 28 inches of snow in a season, NYC's historical average is 28.8.

Oh really?  The purple chart shows Richmond's snowiest winters. They actually have received more than 28 inches in 10 (ten) separate winters. 

Attached Images
  • post-747-0-36579500-1459868352.jpg

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

Yeah... really nitpicking. NYC's average temperature is actually 3.9 degrees lower than that of Richmond, to pick out LGA's average low gives almost no perspective.

Of course it gives no perspective!  It only is in the very same city!  LOL.

Of course it gives no perspective! It only is in the very same city! LOL.

You're right in regards to the average low (I was actually the one nitpicking with LGA vs NYC), but their overall average is still significantly warmer, so if we've averaged what they do it's a big deal. In terms of UHI, it's likely prevelant to some degree in Richmond, but it's very likely a far bigger factor in NYC's average lows. Either way, the period has been impressive in regards to warmth, I don't think the fact that the two cities average the same low temperatures negates that (just my opinion, but I guess it depends how you look at it).

Guest Pamela

You're right in regards to the average low (I was actually the one nitpicking with LGA vs NYC), but their overall average is still significantly warmer, so if we've averaged what they do it's a big deal. In terms of UHI, it's likely prevelant to some degree in Richmond, but it's very likely a far bigger factor in NYC's average lows. Either way, the period has been impressive in regards to warmth, I don't think the fact that the two cities average the same low temperatures negates that (just my opinion, but I guess it depends how you look at it).

It has been above normal; there has never been an assertion on my part that it has not...however, when there are two co-equal elements (the average daily high and low temperature because we add the two together and divide by 2 to derive a mean) being utilized to draw a comparison to point out some type of stark differentiation...it very much weakens the argument that the variable in play for one of the elements (the average daily low) is the same at the two places one is trying to contrast with each other to begin with!

<p>

Oh really? The purple chart shows Richmond's snowiest winters. They actually have received more than 28 inches in 10 (ten) separate winters.

Attached Images

• post-747-0-36579500-1459868352.jpg

I had read somewhere in the last year that Richmonds highest total in a season was 28 so much for that.

I get your point but their top ten list is half of the totals of central parks top ten list, very different climates.

Are we really discussing whether Richmond is comparable temperature wise to NYC. It isn't.

Guest Pamela

Are we really discussing whether Richmond is comparable temperature wise to NYC. It isn't.

Based on 1981 - 2010 normals...the average daily low temperature (for the entire calendar year) at Richmond is actually lower than at NYC LGA....(48.1 F for Richmond....48.2 F for NYC LGA). 

That is 1/2 of the matter right there.  50 percent.

Always remember, a person will never see what he or she is not predisposed to see.  Because one subconsciously pictures Richmond as a veritable hot house vis a vis  NYC...the fact that the average lows are essentially identical is something that one recoils from at the conscious level...thus enabling the original poster's argument to seem more persuasive than it actually was.

Based on 1981 - 2010 normals...the average daily low temperature (for the entire calendar year) at Richmond is actually lower than at NYC LGA....(48.1 F for Richmond....48.2 F for NYC LGA).

That is 1/2 of the matter right there. 50 percent.

Always remember, a person will never see what he or she is not predisposed to see. Because one subconsciously pictures Richmond as a veritable hot house vis a vis NYC...the fact that the average lows are essentially identical is something that one recoils from at the conscious level...thus enabling the original poster's argument to seem more persuasive than it actually was.

At a client right now and billing them hourly, so to be continued.

Archived