Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lunar eclipse tonight!

earthlight

Wow. That's incredible. Awesome information thanks for relaying it. :thumbsup:

You're welcome, John! :) This has been a great month for astronomy, between the geminids and this eclipse and for weather between the cold weather and if we can get this storm to top it all off, it will be about as close to perfection as it could ever get.

post-143-0-37461900-1292926355.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW just to put things into perspective-- if you were on the moon, you'd be seeing the earth totally eclipse the sun. Unlike solar eclipses visible from the earth (where its the moon blocking the sun) the much larger size of the earth would mean that the whole half of the moon facing the earth would see the total solar eclipse (hence why the moon turns dark) and the eclipse would last much longer than the 7.5 min max a total solar eclipse can be as seen from the earth-- probably the same coppery color we see the moon as from earth, and not only that-- because the moon suffers such extreme temp departures (daylight side-- over 200 degrees, night time side-- below negative 200!), the part of the moon seeing the total solar eclipse would experience rapid and extreme temperature drops-- only to witness a huge skyrocket in temps an hour later as the sun emerged from behind the earth!

post-143-0-27480200-1292927330.jpg

Great pics, Alex! What I find most amazing about a total lunar eclipse is that it is the only time the moon (or any other astronomical body for that matter) appears three-dimensional, like a sphere rather a disk. I didn't get a great look at it tonight since I'm at work and too close to city lights but I've noticed that phenomena in past lunar eclipses. The star to the left of the moon is also known as Betelgeuse (pronounced Beetlejuice).

Ancient lore tells us that if we say the name of the star closest to a lunar eclipse three times, a paralyzing blizzard will befall us within a week. O.K... that part is crap but it's worth trying and lots of fun to say the word "Beetlejuice" repeatedly, no?

Great pics, Alex! What I find most amazing about a total lunar eclipse is that it is the only time the moon (or any other astronomical body for that matter) appears three-dimensional, like a sphere rather a disk. I didn't get a great look at it tonight since I'm at work and too close to city lights but I've noticed that phenomena in past lunar eclipses. The star to the left of the moon is also known as Betelgeuse (pronounced Beetlejuice).

Ancient lore tells us that if we say the name of the star closest to a lunar eclipse three times, a paralyzing blizzard will befall us within a week. O.K... that part is crap but it's worth trying and lots of fun to say the word "Beetlejuice" repeatedly, no?

Thanks! :)

Yes it is-- and that is one of my favorite stars. The reason being that it was the first star ever to have been resolved as a disk, and now we can actually see "Betelgeuse spots" on its surface (awkward name, but its the closest analog to sun spots I can think of lol-- instead of the more generic "star spots.")

I see that 3D effect with the moon too, it actually makes it look like it's hanging right above you!

Archived