• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2013-14 Winter Grades

Whitelakeroy

A: Tracking winter storms is what got me interested in the weather as a kid growing up in NYC so to be here for the 2nd, I mean, 3rd snowiest season on record in Chicago was pretty cool. I don't track snowfall here where I live, but the amount of snow at the office surpasses the 1995-96 season in NYC that was personally the most for me.

I can also say that this winter impacted us at LOT, lots of long hours due to how busy it was and short staffing but it also probably made many of us better winter weather forecasters. The number of events to track, as TSnow mentioned the heavy banding in many of those events, the many LES events even on the IL side and instances that approached the severity of GHD for brief periods made it one for the books.

Can't give the winter an A because while looking back and saying I experienced the third coldest met winter and coldest Dec-Mar on record in Chicago is fun to say, it was less fun to endure at times. By far the most relentless cold I've ever experienced, most subzero nights, lowest wind chill ever for me on 1/6 etc, and not being able or wanting to do anything outside gets old after a while.

Definitely an A+ for my first winter in the Midwest. Never did I even dream that the amount of snow and cold we had was possible in this climate.

Now I just have to remember that this year is not the norm!

Yes...this is NOT the norm. You will still see more frequent snowfall and longer lasting snowcover here in a typical winter than in CT...but not like this!

Archived