Newest Member
    12bet1 net
So How Cold was January?

ChescoWx

Post your stats/ranks here

For Chester County PA

• Our Average was high of 32.5 and low of 15.1
  • Average Temp was 23.8 or -6.3 degrees below normal
  • This ranks as the 11th coldest January in the 121 year database for Chester County
  • 2 sub zero lows - this marks the first time with multiple sub-zero readings since 1996
  • Monthly Snowfall was 21.6" this ties 2000 for the 12th snowiest January on record
  • 14 days failed to reach the freezing mark for highs this is 6 more than average
  • 7 days had temperatures remaining in the teens all day with one day in the single digits
  • 29 of the 31 days had below freezing lows
  • Snow cover was observed on 16 days

It was cold for sure, but I suspect that we have been in a mild pattern for some time.

I reviewed some records for Sussex County, NJ(nearest airport/small flight zone to me).

Sussex hit something like negative 25 in 1962/ or 63 around January 21st or 23rdt.

Some notes from my weather journal. I missed a few cold temp reports due to travel.

I believe we hit zero or below around 8-10 times for the month. Much colder than last January.

january 4th max low -4         January 5th max low -6F. Temp hovered around 3 F all day. -1F at 6 PM               January 23rd Max low 7 below zero       24th 4 below           25th 2 below           26th  1 below          

Archived