joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Obs for (mainly) coastal/southern snow Tuesday night 1/28-29/2014

famartin

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should've taken continuous measurements and GPS readings from the edge of the dusting to as far southeast as you could've gone ;)

LOL  I wish. Of course I think a boat would have needed to have been anchored at sea to see the jackpot!  If you're back in Nevada I see you might have some action in the mountains west of you....  (been a dry winter out there, hopefully your region starts getting some storms.) 

I wonder if these little 500'-700' hills (prominence above valley floor, not elevation, that's about 900'-1200')  have some effect on oragraphics as far as upslope and downslope go.  Just my observations from a lifetime of living here (42 years) there seems to be some effect to me.  Last night for instance, or in other cases I may get 2" while ABE gets 1/2", 3 to their 1, ect.  Southeast the cutoff just seems to me more gradual unless it's one of those severely suppressed 2009/2010 type storms.  (the Feb 5~8th storm comes to mind, also the "millennium storm" of late 2000.)  I have to take my own bias into account though, because I live here I always focus on this area.  Heck, the "Blizzard of 96'" I measured all up and down my driveway at 35".  Perhaps it was really "only" 32" or so.....but ABE did officially record 26", that's quite a big difference whichever was true.  I say that because I was thinking the really big storms that really clobber us it shouldn't make a difference, but it seemed to in the biggest one I've seen.  (although I think in that case it was coincidence, as the first part of the storm had trouble getting north, then the part that kind of dry slotted Philly still nailed us here.)  Well to sum it up it just seems as if I'm always a few miles from the edge of the storm when looking at radars, and it often verifies while traveling or seeing others observations.  I don't know if it is a small effect from the hill range or just a coincidence with the way the bands of precipitation set up in our area during coastal storms.  (or even a little of both...)

Archived