• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
"Forgotten" TS/hurricane near Sable Island, Sep. 1992

On the talk page for the Wiki article 1992 Atlantic Hurricane Season, a poster mentions a possible September system. This is interesting because, the Wx. Obs from Sable Island are:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/CWSA/1992/9/12/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

I guess everything was tuned to Andrew.

Here is the section from the talk page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:1992_Atlantic_hurricane_season#September_12.2C_1992_near-hurricane_offshore_New_England

If the Great DR thinks it might be added,

I started reading the links because I thought the Ocean Ranger oil rig sinking was 1992 (it was 1982).

Temps/Dewpoints not really tropical, although I'd suppose very few storms get to Sable Island and are still really tropical.

Getting errors trying to view the satellite images linked in that, they don't appear to be govt shutdown related.

Object not found

The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the CLASS Help Desk, remembering to:
  • specify the platform-operating system, browser, and version;
  • send any pertinent error message;
  • send pertinent parts of the page that gave you problems.
For your information, all CLASS services are also available at http://(none), our sister site.
Thank you and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Error 404

www.class.noaa.gov
Tue Oct 8 17:28:18 2013
Apache

If the Great DR thinks it might be added,

I started reading the links because I thought the Ocean Ranger oil rig sinking was 1992 (it was 1982).

Temps/Dewpoints not really tropical, although I'd suppose very few storms get to Sable Island and are still really tropical.

Getting errors trying to view the satellite images linked in that, they don't appear to be govt shutdown related.

Object not found

The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the CLASS Help Desk, remembering to:
  • specify the platform-operating system, browser, and version;
  • send any pertinent error message;
  • send pertinent parts of the page that gave you problems.
For your information, all CLASS services are also available at http://(none), our sister site.

Thank you and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Error 404

www.class.noaa.gov

Tue Oct 8 17:28:18 2013

Apache

Img-1992-09-12-15-GOE-7-IR.jpg

Here it is, attached.

Looks post or non-tropical.  Although, as mentioned above, I don't think anything gets near Nova Scotia that is still purely tropical.

I *think* that is Iniki in the Pacific.  Up until Charley, was my favorite daytime landfall video storm

Looks post or non-tropical.  Although, as mentioned above, I don't think anything gets near Nova Scotia that is still purely tropical.

I *think* that is Iniki in the Pacific.  Up until Charley, was my favorite daytime landfall video storm

Actually, it could be a TC. This seems very similar to the system identified back in 2011 that the post-analysis identified as a TC. While there is no microwave to confirm or deny my assessment, the Satellite imagery looks tropical although it likely ETed after this point before landfall in NS.

ir_sat_atl_9_91.png

It was a neat little system.  It formed from a mid-ocean cutoff, retrograded nearly to the NC outer banks before recurving.  If you got a chance to look at high-res satellite imagery on the morning of the 12th, it was stunning.  It was probably in the ET (extratropical transition) process on its final leg to Nova Scotia.  The system is on the list for reanalysis.  It will be a while (see also...years) before they work up to 1992.  The re-analysis committee, and those involved in submissions, are tackling the late 1940s into the mid 1960s at this time.  The closer you get to present, the more data there is to look through.  A bounty of riches for sure, but it could slow the reanalysis process in the "modern era".

It was a neat little system.  It formed from a mid-ocean cutoff, retrograded nearly to the NC outer banks before recurving.  If you got a chance to look at high-res satellite imagery on the morning of the 12th, it was stunning.  It was probably in the ET (extratropical transition) process on its final leg to Nova Scotia.  The system is on the list for reanalysis.  It will be a while (see also...years) before they work up to 1992.  The re-analysis committee, and those involved in submissions, are tackling the late 1940s into the mid 1960s at this time.  The closer you get to present, the more data there is to look through.  A bounty of riches for sure, but it could slow the reanalysis process in the "modern era".

I vaguely recall a storm, Charley, I believe, that formed on the 'cold' side of an old front, on the decaying occlusion of the MA.  Off to Wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Charley_(1980)#Hurricane_Charley

I vaguely recall a storm, Charley, I believe, that formed on the 'cold' side of an old front, on the decaying occlusion of the MA.  Off to Wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Charley_(1980)#Hurricane_Charley

Charley of '80 was an interesting system. Along with Karl, also of '80 formed from non-tropical entities.

Charley of '80 was an interesting system. Along with Karl, also of '80 formed from non-tropical entities.

About the time we were moving from NY to Texas, 2 week house rental in Harwich Port in 1980.  I was so hoping for some tropical action.  The water at the beach wasn't cold at all.

Not to refire the Sandy talk, but what/where is the line between a warm seclusion Nor-Easter that forms what looks like an eyelike feature (much better on visible than IR) and an ET low that becomes sub-tropical or tropical.

(Not saying Sandy started as ET or sub-tropical, obviously).

What season/SST/radius of max winds/thermal structure divides warm core non-tropical systems from sub-tropical?

Now I'm thinking of a system off the SE they flew recon in, (5 years ago, give or take) that didn't have any temp/dewpoint discontinuities that I could see, that had formed from an old polar low, and NHC wouldn't upgrade, saying it was frontal.  Recent enough I was looking at HDOBs and trying to find a front at flight level.

That was back when Bastardi was still at AccuWx, that system and what he called 'The Jersey Devil, fed his angst about NHC.  I saw the point on the storm.  For whatever reason, I didn't get concerned with his Jersey Devil.  Maybe because it didn't have recon?  Or maybe it did.

Not to refire the Sandy talk, but what/where is the line between a warm seclusion Nor-Easter that forms what looks like an eyelike feature (much better on visible than IR) and an ET low that becomes sub-tropical or tropical.

(Not saying Sandy started as ET or sub-tropical, obviously).

What season/SST/radius of max winds/thermal structure divides warm core non-tropical systems from sub-tropical?

Now I'm thinking of a system off the SE they flew recon in, (5 years ago, give or take) that didn't have any temp/dewpoint discontinuities that I could see, that had formed from an old polar low, and NHC wouldn't upgrade, saying it was frontal.  Recent enough I was looking at HDOBs and trying to find a front at flight level.

That was back when Bastardi was still at AccuWx, that system and what he called 'The Jersey Devil, fed his angst about NHC.  I saw the point on the storm.  For whatever reason, I didn't get concerned with his Jersey Devil.  Maybe because it didn't have recon?  Or maybe it did.

Are you talking about the infamous 92L that looked tropical?

Since it never got a name or number, I can't go to my reliable source*, Wiki, and check.

I remember the event vividly. That Sunday my father let me drive his truck down the back roads of Nantucket. The rain and wind were pretty heavy. I remember fishtailing down Russell's Way, which is out in Tom Nevers on the eastern end of the island.

Archived