• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Radarscope and severe weather season

Like many on this board, I purchased Radarscope and have enjoyed it. However, I'm somewhat of a neophyte with regards to many of the radars listed. I generally stick with superres tilt 1, base reflectivity, and storm relative velocity. With severe weather season approaching, can anyone distill the best handful of radars to use for a variety of weather, including severe storms as that season is now here, but also winter weather? Additionally, what exactly is the "tilts" used in many of the radars? Thanks.

The different tilts are the different angles the beam is being shot out of the radar.  The lower the tilt the lower you're looking into a storm structure and the higher the tilt the higher up you are looking into the storm structure.  You also have to take into account, however, how far the radar is away from the storm when using the different angles and also consider that the curvature of the earth and topography also influence the beams.  

You can learn more here:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/doppler/vcp_max.htm 

Thank you. I thought it might have something to do with that as tilt is a big clue but I just didn't know what the point was. I would imagine the superres tilt 1 I was using watching the Feb Blizzard was a lower capture as it captured a lot of what i believe were convective clouds near Long Island, brimming with lots of reds and yellows. I played with other tilts and lost color

Archived